Statue WETA Fellowship Of The Ring Set 1

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WETA Fellowship dio

Its just a temp thing and will go away shortly. If it doesn't contact Weta and let them know so they can take care of it.

I pre-ordered this thinking that I would not be charged right away. But when I checked my bank account, it's already a pending transaction. They already charged us in full? Before clicking on "Place Order" it stated somewhere on the page that Weta won't charge until the item is in-stock and ready to ship. :confused:

Based on WETA reply to the S+F forum:

WETA's system just sets up an authorisation to charge your card when it is ready for shipping and they will let you know when that is.

The web site problem has been reported and WETA is getting sorted as it appears an intermittent problem for some. New system and all, they have apologised but we were warned to expect some teething problems.

The cost of this seems very much in line with current collectibles and as an open edition it gives plenty of time to pick it up. :wink1:

Yeah, shouldn't be a big deal. I emailed them to let them know and was told its all good. So it should drop off in a day or so and all will be right in the world again.

Wow, I find the price of this thing absolutely shocking.

I thought much the same thing and more expected it to be around $150 or a little less.

I was so concerned, that I looked up the cost of the old Frodo & Sam - Mount Doom dio from Sideshow, thinking it would make for at least a basic comparison. Converting both to AUD and including postage, Mount Doom was $205, while this will be around $230. However, I get $20USD in Weta Dollars from this and the first set is larger and has 1 extra character.

The other difference, I got the Mount Doom dio 3 years ago and we keep hearing how production costs have increased . So maybe the price isn't as bad as we first think.

I thought much the same thing and more expected it to be around $150 or a little less.

I was so concerned, that I looked up the cost of the old Frodo & Sam - Mount Doom dio from Sideshow, thinking it would make for at least a basic comparison. Converting both to AUD and including postage, Mount Doom was $205, while this will be around $230. However, I get $20USD in Weta Dollars from this and the first set is larger and has 1 extra character.

The other difference, I got the Mount Doom dio 3 years ago and we keep hearing how production costs have increased . So maybe the price isn't as bad as we first think.

I guess I am just way off in my pricing of things but I thought the entire thing would be less than 200 dollars. Maybe I am not envisioning the scale here. Anyway, glad those that ordered will finally get what the had always wanted.

imo it's really just too expensive ... Weta probably knows that, and that's why they did 3 parts for this "diorama".

I can't believe that the entire thing will costs 600$ !

Easy pass for me even if it was a pretty good idea.

I was hoping the whole fellowship would be included in a single purchase, for about $400 :doh
Oh well, think I'll pass on this after all. I still think it's a really great piece though. Maybe I'll find it somewhere down the line in the future when I've got the cash.
Can't wait to see ppl's in-hand pics :)

Only a limited edition could justify that price IMO.
Weta's open edition policy is so annoying.
From a collector's view this piece is an easy pass.
From a LOTR fan's view it is a nice pieace but way too expensive and the character likeness is bad.

Wow, didn't see that price coming. At that scale I was thinking that each piece was going to be maybe $125.00 max. At the price that I was expecting I could gloss over the fact that Frodo and Legolas are a bit off, but at $200.00 I expect a little more. I agree with what was said in regards to this being the smallest piece of the three and that if this one is $200 I can only imagine what the other two are gonna cost. I still plan on getting this but I'm definitely not as thrilled as I was originally. :(

If this diorama is successful (despite the steep price) I hope Weta will create other character diorama's.
1. A Rohan theme with Theoden, Eomer & Eowyn at the throne or maybe on horses.
2. Rivendell with Elrond, Arwen & Bilbo writing his book.
3. Orthanc with Saurman & Wormtongue with the palantir display
4. Faramir & Denathor in the throne room or pyre
5. A in scale Treebeard
6.Lothlorien with Galadriel, Celeborn & Haldir
Just wishful thinking...I can hope

i agree with others, the price of this is more then i thought it would be :( i used my 30 Weta dollars which brought the price down a little bit.
as someone else said i'm hoping for some top quality painting on this little gem, once i have it in person i'm sure i'll be pleased :)

here's hoping the other 2 dios are the same price and not more.

i agree with others, the price of this is more then i thought it would be :( i used my 30 Weta dollars which brought the price down a little bit.
as someone else said i'm hoping for some top quality painting on this little gem, once i have it in person i'm sure i'll be pleased :)

here's hoping the other 2 dios are the same price and not more.

Well if Weta runs their business like a home builder they will get you "pot committed" and then jack the price on the final piece. I mean who would buy 2 of 3 pieces? Its actually a decent yardstick of the company's commitment to their fan base.

The builder analogy is something I noticed in Phoenix. The back of the house usually comes with a covered patio that fills maybe 1/4 the length of the house. You can purchase an extension to this that covers the second 1/3 of the house (the middle part of the back of the house). Of course, everyone wants the patio that runs the full width of the back of the house. Now even though the linear footage of this third section was the smallest it was priced the highest.

With this price tag my dreams have turned to ashes. You can almost buy RWOS pf instead of this..

That is exactly what I am doing.
These are great but my funds are not. So...
RWOS PF all the way. :yess:

If this diorama is successful (despite the steep price) I hope Weta will create other character diorama's.
1. A Rohan theme with Theoden, Eomer & Eowyn at the throne or maybe on horses.
2. Rivendell with Elrond, Arwen & Bilbo writing his book.
3. Orthanc with Saurman & Wormtongue with the palantir display
4. Faramir & Denathor in the throne room or pyre
5. A in scale Treebeard
6.Lothlorien with Galadriel, Celeborn & Haldir
Just wishful thinking...I can hope

Nice ideas! I'd definatly get the rohan one! :)

Well if Weta runs their business like a home builder they will get you "pot committed" and then jack the price on the final piece. I mean who would buy 2 of 3 pieces? Its actually a decent yardstick of the company's commitment to their fan base.

The builder analogy is something I noticed in Phoenix. The back of the house usually comes with a covered patio that fills maybe 1/4 the length of the house. You can purchase an extension to this that covers the second 1/3 of the house (the middle part of the back of the house). Of course, everyone wants the patio that runs the full width of the back of the house. Now even though the linear footage of this third section was the smallest it was priced the highest.

the final piece is the best, i want Bill the pony :hi5: hope they don't jack the price up :slap

Tim from Weta confirmed that the prices will stay approx. the same for all three pieces:

Weta said:
Fair question. We expect the prices to be the same or very similar.

We just can't give you a 100% guarantee right now, as we have no control over exchange rates. And currencies are quite volatile at the moment, especially the Euro

We will get this confirmed asap after Comic Con.

Kind regards

Tim

Here's a thought for all you snobs who would never consider buying an open edition: imagine if this last piece is limited to say 500 pieces but you could only preorder it if you had preordered the first two. I bet that would make you go ape<censored>. Not that I think it would happend. But boy would it be fun if it did.

In the meantime I got this and will the the rest on preorder. After all I'm a fan, Weta makes great stuff and I' not a ebay flipper, don't give a >bip< about resale value, and don't intend to keep it nib for ever.

Back