Statue Weta - Azog the Defiler on Warg

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my Azog!

Nothing prepared me for how big an imposing he is when you first take the tissue paper off the main body. Holy crap. Such an awesome piece and glad to finally have it. Only issue is finding the proper place to display him, which will take some rearranging and imagination.

Couple issues/questions. I know the majority of the weight leans on the tree stump, but mine isn't quite flush at any connection point and isn't totally solid in that if I apply some pressure, he wobbles just a little because the back legs of the Warg aren't flush against the base. Is this common with everyone's or do I need to keep reseating it until I get it right? Already have a few times with the same results.

Second issue is my right arm. The magnet is either too weak or is shaped wrong because the arm doesn't sit flush either. It sags and makes a very noticeable gap at the connection point, also angling the mace down a bit, which doesn't look as good. This is a totally unnacceptable issue to me but I am curious if this too is a common problem. I don't remember reading about it. I will be contacting bbts about it and hopefully they can get me a replacement arm from weta or at the least, refund me some of the $1000 I paid. This is a bogus flaw for a statue that retails for $700 and I paid $1000 for.

Now the most interesting part, my edition number is AP 34/40. Does that mean Artist Print? I was shocked to see the 34, but didn't notice the AP on the brown shipper until I saw it underneath the base and on the bottom of the art box read it was out of 40. So I suppose mine is more limited, but can't imagine it is different in any way. Anyone have info on "AP" editions from Weta?

Now I just can't wait until a Smaug reveal at SDCC!!

Finally got my Azog!

Nothing prepared me for how big an imposing he is when you first take the tissue paper off the main body. Holy crap. Such an awesome piece and glad to finally have it. Only issue is finding the proper place to display him, which will take some rearranging and imagination.

Couple issues/questions. I know the majority of the weight leans on the tree stump, but mine isn't quite flush at any connection point and isn't totally solid in that if I apply some pressure, he wobbles just a little because the back legs of the Warg aren't flush against the base. Is this common with everyone's or do I need to keep reseating it until I get it right? Already have a few times with the same results.

Second issue is my right arm. The magnet is either too weak or is shaped wrong because the arm doesn't sit flush either. It sags and makes a very noticeable gap at the connection point, also angling the mace down a bit, which doesn't look as good. This is a totally unnacceptable issue to me but I am curious if this too is a common problem. I don't remember reading about it. I will be contacting bbts about it and hopefully they can get me a replacement arm from weta or at the least, refund me some of the $1000 I paid. This is a bogus flaw for a statue that retails for $700 and I paid $1000 for.

Now the most interesting part, my edition number is AP 34/40. Does that mean Artist Print? I was shocked to see the 34, but didn't notice the AP on the brown shipper until I saw it underneath the base and on the bottom of the art box read it was out of 40. So I suppose mine is more limited, but can't imagine it is different in any way. Anyone have info on "AP" editions from Weta?

Now I just can't wait until a Smaug reveal at SDCC!!

Congrats on snagging an artist proof! That alone should take some of the sting out of the price. I'm surprised to hear that you're having any issues with it since AP's are supposedly more closely inspected than the rest of a run.

Try to have it reseated. You have an Artist Proof which is nice to possess. The mace wielding arm sounds like a real issue though and might need a minor repair to get it flush. Do what you gotta do to get it rectified. Grats

Congrats! I'm surprised they had some of the AP. I'd be interested to hear how they got one. One of the problems sometimes with things not fitting to the base is the connection holes had residue in them. So that could be one issue that it maybe just a bit more pressure when you try to out it back on the base should do it. The arm though is the bigger issue. I'd think you can get a replacement arm for it. The only issue is he's a limited piece in general so they may have no made too many extra parts.

Congrats on getting it. I had some issues with mine and Weta took care of it. Although I did order direct. It sounds like you got an Artist Proof that the Artist didn't Proof. Either way, I'm sure you'll get it resolved.

Thanks everyone! I will try to reseat it and give the leg hole for the stump some compressed air. Will be emailing bbts about the arm today. Other than glue I'm not qualified to fix it myself. Considering it seems to be because it's a loose fit the peg would have to be built up and I don't know how I could do that.

Interesting about the AP and closer quality control. There was a big sticker on the styrofoam than said something like "QC Passed".

This statue is so damn awesome tho and I am very happy to finally have it! Azog is great but the warg is just unreal.

Well, tried airing out all the holes and reseating it to no avail. I guess it's fine, it doesn't look off, but I am worried about the weight. I know the stump is meant to take the weight, but if it is not in there exactly right it may degrade over time. No idea what to do about it now unless I shave down the peg on the stump just a hair.

It should be fine. I there are multiple full metal piece inside everything to make sure it can hold its own. The arm is the bigger issue.

So bbts said they don't think they can get me a replacement, so offered me a full refund return or keep it and take a $250 store credit, which I suppose is what I will do. I can't imagine Weta will help me directly since I didn't buy it from them. Maybe someone who did wants to send them my photos? :)

I'll contact weta either way. $250 is a nice chunk of change back and actually makes up the difference I paid in buying from BBTS.

Here's a pic of the arm so you guys see what I'm talking about.

AF018430-2FD3-4DBF-9F11-E9BFCF32E78C_zpsohkcglhv.jpg

And here is the way it sits on the tree stump

5D342804-D9D7-4C87-8DD0-ACC7521FC13C_zpsoutosy10.jpg

And finally, only other issue, some of the styrofoam ate a bit of paint off the base...

10ED307D-1A18-4483-84B0-02815785575B_zpsboiihpbz.jpg

And just to show I'm not wholly ungrateful, one pic sans problems of this beautiful mother of a statue!

B79B69AE-28AF-45D9-835E-342C36264D6D_zps3rg9oxnp.jpg

Yeah I don't care that the tree isn't flush, it's that the statue wobbles when you apply pretty light pressure to the side. I'd like for it to be just in the completely firm. Like if I were to pick the whole thing up from the base, the warg would wobble a bit back and forth.

Aesthetically, the arm is the only thing that grinds me. The rubbed paint on the base is on the back and not terrible. I'll find a way to fix the arm. Probably a piece of tape or two on the underpart of it will help it sit right.

as for the base you might want to black marker it and wipe imediately or try flat black paint and wipe. The wobble...I would find the two ends that move the most on the piece and add on those ends to stop the wobble from happening...It could be paper, cardboard or even some putty or clay, just enough(tiniest amount )to end the problem...The forearm definitely is the biggest issue...you hit the nail on the head to add to the underpart to raise it flush...add putty or clay to do that as a choice...again only the tiniest amount till the problem is rectified...grats

For now I put a small piece of tissue paper under the arm and that seems to be doing the trick. The pegs to fix the wobble will be a little more harrowing because of the weight, but I think I can get it under control. It just seems that instead of MOST of the weight being on the trunk and some distributed to the back feet, ALL of the weight is on the trunk and the feet are just kind of hanging there. I suppose it is designed to hold most, maybe even all of the weight.

Do not fret about the weight on the trunk. Just try to control the wobble. The weight part can be most definitely supported by the base trunk

I'm surprised to hear that you're having any issues with it since AP's are supposedly more closely inspected than the rest of a run.

From what I know, they aren't any different. The AP's are made all at the same time, go through the exact same inspect/packaging as any of the 500. Only difference is that they have AP printed on the base and are offered to various 'VIPs' first (like the studio, licensor, etc). After a little bit of time and confirmation that not all are wanted, then some AP's get offered up for sale.

Of course in this case, since it wasn't a direct Weta purchase, it's very possible that someone took their AP and then on sold it.

Wanted to get the opinion on the board, this is the issue i identified in the replacement.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ijnksfu3t9jije1/AAD-QrZeFeo_mTH4pwrho9hea/Azog Replacement

1) The statue around the front hind leg surrounding the peg hole is broken/chipped with the pieces in the box. Plus there appears to be a yellow glue type substance, seems like maybe there was an attempt to repair the damaged portion around the peg hole. Pictures are in the link below.
2) The paint from the nose of the Warg extends into the gray paint, specifically you'll notice the paint mark above the front lip in the brownish red.

You can download the pics from the link above to zoom.

Weta has said they can give some Weta bucks, but I'm not sure the I don't like the chipped/glue part and the paint running into the gray on the front lip.

Back