Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were they able to give any specific reason and did they refund your money?

Good luck with that, they could not figure out how to refund me for the partial refund I accepted for damage to my Smaug and I ended up having to either give direct deposit bank info(YEA RIGHT!) or accept weta dollars. Now I am probably in the same boat when they won't give me any discount on another piece. My #1 want right now other than pre ruin Orthanc(which they stopped making for some reason with no warning) is the Smaug bust, but I can get it almost $100 cheaper then their price at WBshop right now.:gah:

Were they able to give any specific reason and did they refund your money?

Oh yes, took some emailing but I got the money back, nice free 1 year loan of 1000 dollars. Explanation: The foundry in China (yes China) couldn't replicate the quality. I think the few they made killed the mold or something, no interest in retooling another so...

Oh yes, took some emailing but I got the money back, nice free 1 year loan of 1000 dollars. Explanation: The foundry in China (yes China) couldn't replicate the quality. I think the few they made killed the mold or something, no interest in retooling another so...

Given the high cost and limited qty on bronzes, I can understand if they were unwilling/unable to grant your request for the above mentioned reason, especially when it takes a prolonged period to sellout. Based on that I'm assuming they produced these on a case by case basis and not the whole ed. straight out. Pieces produced as little as a year ago, going back into production can't always be produced at the same cost, and this is bronze. Pinnacle in statue collecting in my opinion.

Taking a year (with your money) only to be denied whould be extremely frustrating.

Last edited:
Good luck with that, they could not figure out how to refund me for the partial refund I accepted for damage to my Smaug and I ended up having to either give direct deposit bank info(YEA RIGHT!) or accept weta dollars. Now I am probably in the same boat when they won't give me any discount on another piece. My #1 want right now other than pre ruin Orthanc(which they stopped making for some reason with no warning) is the Smaug bust, but I can get it almost $100 cheaper then their price at WBshop right now.:gah:
I can't Weta have treated you like this it really is wrong.
Good luck and i hope you somehow sort something out .

Keep in mind that you won't earn those "Weta Dollars" when ordering from the WBshop.

Well considering the weta dollars even for a gold member is only $51(factoring future purchase loss of weta dollar earnings) plus you are forced to do a second purchase with Weta and have to pay currency conversion fees and I get bonus cashback from ebates I think I will take WBshop ALL DAY LONG not even factoring in the issues I have had the 2 past orders.

Good points, especially with the issues you've run into. I think the weta dollars for BD were closer to $100 bucks, which I ended up using towards the latest Smial (Hobbit Hole) enviro.

Good points, especially with the issues you've run into. I think the weta dollars for BD were closer to $100 bucks, which I ended up using towards the latest Smial (Hobbit Hole) enviro.

Yes, BD is twice what the bust costs, so that is probably about right. I think I got around $60 as I used almost $300 weta dollars from previous purchases.

None really, I have gotten some good deals from them in the past and would get from them again. Weta was the one I am having issues with.

How do you get deals from there? Any "20% discount on all"-Codes? Sad only shipping in the us

Picked up one of these from eBay before the prices go up again. Actually got it cheaper than direct from Weta, even figuring in rewards. I like it a lot, glad I picked another one up. Now I just need to decide on Minas Tirith and to find an Orthanc.

Congrats on the acquisition of Barad-Dur.

It's a definite favorite of mine. Too pricey, in my opinion, but I had some Weta dollars available, which softened the blow. Unfortunately, I don't have enough WD's left to make an equal impact on the Minas Tirith price, so unless it goes on a drastic sale, I'll settle for my Danbury Mint MT. (which is very nice, by the way.)

As for Orthanc, it's been long sold out but I highly recommend it.

Congrats on the acquisition of Barad-Dur.

It's a definite favorite of mine. Too pricey, in my opinion, but I had some Weta dollars available, which softened the blow. Unfortunately, I don't have enough WD's left to make an equal impact on the Minas Tirith price, so unless it goes on a drastic sale, I'll settle for my Danbury Mint MT. (which is very nice, by the way.)

As for Orthanc, it's been long sold out but I highly recommend it.
Thanks! Yea, I agree it is a lot of money. That was the main reason I sold my 1st one before the new batch came out. I have enough WDs to almost cover Minas Tirith, but like you I think it is overpriced and I want to wait for a sale also. That plan cost me getting an Orthanc though, I thought it being an open edition it would be around longer. It sold out very quickly and people wanted huge money for it nearly overnight. I still have my ruined Orthanc, but wanted a pre ruin also. Hopefully I can find a decent price on one someday.

Actually, I picked up the pre-ruin Orthanc on a sale at Weta. You are right, though, in that it sold out quickly after that.

I never was lucky enough to get the original ruined Orthanc, though. I remember it having issues with broken spires but once that one sold out, it too shot upwards in aftermarket price.

By the way, if you don't have it already, I highly recommend you pick up Rivendell. It is showing as "low stock" at Weta. I only recently picked it up and was truly surprised as to how much I liked it.

Back