Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Limited Edition? :( Sorry to hear that. Oh well I guess that means no Weta Barad-Dur for me because I'm sure it's gonna be way more than I'm willing to spend. I don't usually like to speculate on price but I agree that it will most likely be over $400.00. It's times like this that I really wish Weta had some type of flex-pay in place.
I'm kind of regretting selling my DB Barad-Dur now. I might have to track one down off E-bay. I know the Weta one blows the DB one away, but you just can't argue that the DB version was outstanding and gave a lot of bang for the buck for only $99.00 when it came out.

I understand this was a complex piece to sculpt & will be to manufacture, but paint wise its no where near a complex as Rivendell. I hope it isn't anymore than Rivendell

I understand this was a complex piece to sculpt & will be to manufacture, but paint wise its no where near a complex as Rivendell. I hope it isn't anymore than Rivendell

I'd bet it will be more than Rivendell and the sculpt/manufacturing will be major reasons why.

Limited Edition???!!! I hope there's enough of them to go around for all who want one...Like 1,000 like the Collector's Edition of Bag End...

I would be :mad: if I can't get my hands on one of these for my environment collection...

Limited Edition? :( Sorry to hear that...
I feel your pain, N-K. Damn, I was kind of counting on this being an open edition and due to some recent events, it would be reckless of me to commit to anything on the credit card. How does Weta handle pre-orders? Is it just a NRD of some sort or what's expected upfront? I dunno... might be willing to risk an NRD in hopes of things turning around sometime soon but definitely can't commit to the full price at this time.

Regardless, congratulations to everyone that's in a position to get this beautiful piece. I can definitely see it being a grail not long after it sells out and I look forward to seeing the pics in fellow Freaks' collections.

I'm a bit confused, usually people are screaming for a low ES and are like "I ain't ordering this ____ if it's open ES or more than 1500 pieces!!!" but now this is a Limited edition and people are complaining and hoping it has more than 1000 pieces?:dunno

Well, those of us hoping for an open edition are probably not the same ones complaining about open editions... Do you really need this to be explained, Drakul?

I'm a bit confused, usually people are screaming for a low ES and are like "I ain't ordering this ____ if it's open ES or more than 1500 pieces!!!" but now this is a Limited edition and people are complaining and hoping it has more than 1000 pieces?:dunno

i agree it's a confusing thread, lotr collectors are a strange bunch :monkey1

Well, those of us hoping for an open edition are probably not the same ones complaining about open editions... Do you really need this to be explained, Drakul?

No but I don't keep a notebook with names written of who like low ES and who doesn't care.

To paraphrase a wise man: "You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you'll never please collectors! Ever!" :monkey3

Weta confirmed that most of the statue will be made of polyurethan rather than polystone. So another plastic toy after the Uruk helm...

Weta confirmed that most of the statue will be made of polyurethan rather than polystone. So another plastic toy after the Uruk helm...

It's so the statue has better detail and makes it through shipping without issue. It's not plastic like you're trying to sell to people and FYI poly stone is also a plastic. :peace

Yes I know, but polystone has some weight that makes it feel more valuable. Polyurethan has almost no weight and when I look at the spikes of Orthanc I see other problems coming, bents etc. So I still don't understand Weta's argumentation for this material.

Yes I know, but polystone has some weight that makes it feel more valuable. Polyurethan has almost no weight and when I look at the spikes of Orthanc I see other problems coming, bents etc. So I still don't understand Weta's argumentation for this material.

If it looks like it did at comic-con most people aren't gonna give a darn. The reason for the change is because this new material they will be using will capture the details better and will allow it to ship without issues. This material isn't a cheaper material than polystone and it will be better for the product we're getting. I have total faith in Weta that this is the right move.

Polyurethane can be rock hard. Depending in how they make it, i doubt it'll be like those bendy plastic bits that come with 4 inch figures we bought when we were kids.

:slap

Good grief. Did you know the weapon props the actors worked with were made of polyurethan? So they were just mucking about with toys were they?

So you can now also see into the future and know things are all going to go totally wrong. Well done.

The more i see of your posts, the more i think: Moaners gotta moan :(

Tim (from Weta) mentioned in a video shot at their booth at ComiCon that polyurethane is actually more expensive than polystone. So, yes, it may be lighter, but it's also stronger, harder and will pick up fine detailing a bit better.

In fact, as I understand it, the primary ingredient of polystone actually IS polyurethane. To create polystone, polyurethane resin is mixed with stone powder. The stone powder adds weight and reduces the cost.

Last edited:
Back