We GOT SARAH CONNOR! Official Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: We WANT SARAH CONNOR! Official Thread.

pjam said:
Compared to Sarah in T1, yes. Complete overhaul. :lol

It looks as though SSC may have to work on her neck a bit though, seems too small/diproportionate to her head in the preview pic...

I showed my girlfriend the pic and she thought it was a bobble head. :lol

8326.jpg

Hey guys, I'll peek in to say hey again! This was my first project with Sideshow, and very challenging. Anthony's paint job made this sculpt look SO much better than it is. I love it when paint improves the work!

I honestly think the reason she was so hard is partly because finding high quality reference of Linda Hammilton is very difficult. the screen caps should have been enough, but for some reason, it wasn't. Man, I remember back to that week I started this and how stressful it was. It was sort of like a job interview, I mean...the pressure was on! heres my opportunity! Fortunately for me, the guys really liked the piece, and were happy to put this project to rest. I was THRILLED that they were happy.

the hair is sculpted by the way, to put that to rest. I like the comment about the bobble head! those female doll necks are SO thin.

and there is a funny trend starting where I'm sculpting wide jawed and full lipped women. I think that must have influenced the puffy lips on Padme. ;)

thanks a lot for the comments guys, I'm really happy you like the piece! Sideshow really looks to have done some amazing paint and clothes fabrication on this one!

Trev

Trev! The man! Thanks for checking in and sharing the scoop.

I would imagine Sarah really is a hard sculpt to capture just right -- without it looking too masculine or too soft. Looks like you got it right.

I really would love to have Padme, Angelina and Sarah all lined up together. In fact, one day I will.

As you can tell by this thread, we have all wanted Sarah for a long, long time. So stoked that it came from you.

Thanks! Can't wait for the next one! :D

And thanks for clarifying the "sculpted hair" issue. That picture sure looked like it might have real hair -- which would scare me.

Batty said:
Andy, how often are more than one artist given a shot at sculpting the same figure? Or does everyone submit a sculpt and the best is picked? I never thought about how an artist was chosen to do a particular piece.

Actually it's kinda rare, usually only happens when the first artist's attempt isn't successful (usually the same artist will just continue to revise it until it's right, but sometimes that's not possible because of scheduling, etc). In this particular case, I think Oluf, Mat, and myself had simply given it our best and it just wastn't working (I know I revised & submitted at least twice). I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, LOL, but the figure was actually canned at one point because we just couldn't get it right (and the expense of having multiple sculpts done was a killer also)... But when Trevor took his attempt it was a home run... In a roundabout way, Trevor is resonsible for getting this figure back on the production schedule (please send any "thank you" gift baskets to Sideshow Collectibles, care of Andy Bergholtz.....).

:)

Great to hear from you, Trev. Sarah looks spot on. You're making a lot of fan really quick here.

Sideshow Andy said:
I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, LOL, but the figure was actually canned at one point because we just couldn't get it right (and the expense of having multiple sculpts done was a killer also)...

That is very frightening; how close we were to not having her...

Sideshow Andy said:
But when Trevor took his attempt it was a home run... In a roundabout way, Trevor is resonsible for getting this figure back on the production schedule.

And yet another reason to love Trevor! Well done, Trev! You saved Sarah, and therefore...the world!

And thanks for sharing all that Andy. This kind of inside info is so cool. That's what I was hoping the whole Prod Blog was going to be. Any chance you can tell someone over there that we need more informative information from that blog?

Sideshow Andy said:
Actually it's kinda rare, usually only happens when the first artist's attempt isn't successful (usually the same artist will just continue to revise it until it's right, but sometimes that's not possible because of scheduling, etc). In this particular case, I think Oluf, Mat, and myself had simply given it our best and it just wastn't working (I know I revised & submitted at least twice). I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, LOL, but the figure was actually canned at one point because we just couldn't get it right (and the expense of having multiple sculpts done was a killer also)... But when Trevor took his attempt it was a home run... In a roundabout way, Trevor is resonsible for getting this figure back on the production schedule (please send any "thank you" gift baskets to Sideshow Collectibles, care of Andy Bergholtz.....).

:)

Thanks, Andy. I really like hearing about this kind of stuff. So, how does SS decide which artist to use for each piece? Do you guys tell them what you're interested in, or do they come to you because they think you're the right person for the job? I hope you don't mind all the questions.

I agree with Wor-Gar about the production blog!

Would you take cash instead of a gift basket? :D

This sculpt is just breathtaking, IMO! I had hoped it would look good, but I never dreamed it would look THIS good! Can't wait to pose this bad girl with the T2 bad boys! :chew

And give us "the arm", please!!! :D

Sideshow Andy said:
In this particular case, I think Oluf, Mat, and myself had simply given it our best and it just wastn't working
how freakin hilarious is that. I can see it now.

"This new guy looks like he does good work"
"Heh heh, well ... umm .... throw him that Sarah Conner to take a shot at heh heh , she's been impossible for any of us to nail down. :monkey3 "

* sculpt arrives * :google

"Put Sarah back into production!!"

" .... ummm yeah .. Trevor MUH MAN! .. umm .. well not too bad. We have 10 more 'tests' we want you to try out, then we'll talk"

:lol

I hate to say this, but you know the factory is never going to mimic that beautiful paint-up

I'd also like to say that I think its very noble (and cool) of Andy to take his time here to praise another artist (and "the new guy").

That's just good sportsmanship...my hat's off to you, Andy!

Batty said:
At least Linda Hamilton has aged better than others. Carrie Fisher, anyone?

No joke.

But didn't Fisher become a boozed up junkie? That is hard for the body to overcome.

Trevolver said:
Anthony's paint job made this sculpt look SO much better than it is. I love it when paint improves the work!

thanks a lot for the comments guys, I'm really happy you like the piece! Sideshow really looks to have done some amazing paint and clothes fabrication on this one!

Trev

I doubt that Trev, the paint apps do look great and Anthony deserves all the credit for popping your sculpt but it seems you are far too modest bro...

Let's just hope SSC paint apps follows yours and Anthony's brilliant example during the production process and does Sarah right, she's far too important a character to a lot of us to do any less than she and all of us deserve...

Congrats and Cheers. :clap :duff

Andy, I would love to see your rendition. Maybe you can post it on your website??? :eek:

Trevolver said:

Awesome job on the sculpt, Trev! So far you're knocking them out of the park!

No how about working on the other two from my wishlist? :duff

Thanks for all the kudos guys! it really lifts one's spirits! I don't think many people get to have a job where the fruit of their labor is appreciated and enjoyed by people. (even scrutinized with such care!) that's special! I'm glad you like her!

" Well done, Trev! You saved Sarah, and therefore...the world!"

HAHAH! I like the saved the world part...if only Sarah knew how important it was to have a collectible doll made of her before the machine war could be ended....

Trev

Trevolver said:
Thanks for all the kudos guys! it really lifts one's spirits! I don't think many people get to have a job where the fruit of their labor is appreciated and enjoyed by people. (even scrutinized with such care!) that's special! I'm glad you like her!

" Well done, Trev! You saved Sarah, and therefore...the world!"

HAHAH! I like the saved the world part...if only Sarah knew how important it was to have a collectible doll made of her before the machine war could be ended....

Trev

You saved my world, Trev! :D :bow

Can't wait to see her full outfit and exclusive!

Btw, I know SSC doesn't have the T1 License but I WOULD KILL for a T1 Sarah, Reese and Terminator!!!

Last edited:
Back