WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (book SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WATCHMEN Movie Discussion

I'd rank it 3rd behind Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One.

I absolutely love DKR, but Watchmen is much larger, deeper and grander in scope which I enjoy. There's a lot more going on in Watchmen and it is better written and more nuanced IMO.

I absolutely love DKR, but Watchmen is much larger, deeper and grander in scope which I enjoy. There's a lot more going on in Watchmen and it is better written and more nuanced IMO.

DKR drinks Watchmen's milkshake:D

I love your avatar, Plainview is going to be my next commissioned head sculpt.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Mando. Dark Knight Returns came before Watchmen and changed the industry for good. I see it having much more influence on Nolan's vision.

They are really different animals . . . TDK is a Batman story . . it plays within that universe and did set the "dark tone" that is all over comics today . . .

Watchmen is much broader and looks at comics in general as well as politics and superheros . . . and what it might really be like to have godlike powers (Dr. Manhattan) . . . It really is an amazing piece and you find more and more with each re-read . . .

Thematically they are very similar and before either of them we'd never seen Superheroes treated in that way. I think Burton's Batman owes a lot to DKR, but I think Nolan's morally grey Batman owes more to Watchmen.

Posted at https://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

comedianxh9.png
niteowlyd6.png
rorschachts0.png
ozymandiasjg2.png
silkspectrexn3.png

On second glance, I'm not a fan of the Ozymandias costume.....
Watchmencharacters.jpg

I think i'm more anxious to see this movie than Batman, Hulk, Iron Man or anthing else....I'll be counting the days from now on. :rock

I like that it's vaguely Supermanish. It's changed the most from its comic counterpart, but surely it is better than this

ozymandias.jpg

Ozymandias' character has sold out and turned himself into a cliched promotional caricature to sell his own action figures, so I think he should have the most stereotypical and "comicbookesque" costume. I think they could have gone further in that direction and been safe in the context of the movie.

This will be a bit of a hard sell to the public, who will be expecting a straightforward comic book hero movie

(I do fear that they have cast this movie a bit too young, but I can live with it.)

Rorschach And the Comedian are perfect, I'm not liking Nite Owl or Silk Spectre too much, they're too different from the comic. Though I wouldn't want them to copy the comic costumes outright, something a little less movie Batman and more comic Batman is what I'd prefer. Ozymandias I actually like but I'd still prefer a more comic based appearance.

It may be sacriligious to say so - but I never liked Gibbons designs for the characters. I prefer the movie versions a lot. Where it works, like Rorschach and Comedian he kept the design the same, but where he needed to make it more realistic he went that way. I was always afraid night Owl would look like a doof, but that suit is pretty cool.

It may be sacriligious to say so - but I never liked Gibbons designs for the characters. I prefer the movie versions a lot. Where it works, like Rorschach and Comedian he kept the design the same, but where he needed to make it more realistic he went that way. I was always afraid night Owl would look like a doof, but that suit is pretty cool.

Ehhh...I was with ya til this.....i LOVE Gibbons designs...I found the art perfect. I always thought Nite-Owl was kind of supposed to be a doof and part of the story was his redemption. I'm going to have to read this again for the 1000th time now. :lol:lol:lol

I feel the same way about Nite Owl and Ozymandias to tell you the truth, but what they went with here is a little too much. They should've updated them but not make them look like they walked of a Schumacher Batman movie.

:lecture: I agree. The designs were ok for 1985, today they look dated and tired. The Silk Spectre I like and want to see more of. :monkey5 This Niteowl costume actually looks cool, and I like that it echoes Batman - a costume actually less doofy than the new Dark Knight costume. The Ozzy suit is growing on me, the evil Superman vibe I like.

I really liked the original Ozymandias costume because it is pretty much a straight forward super hero costume. Plus, he derives his name from an Egyptian god and the costume was designed to look Egyptian and I always thought that was cool.

I feel the same way about Nite Owl and Ozymandias to tell you the truth, but what they went with here is a little too much. They should've updated them but not make them look like they walked of a Schumacher Batman movie.

Ozymandias especially, since he is suffering Schumacher nipple suit syndrome

OzymandiasFull.jpg

Hadn't noticed that about the Ozy suit - he's got a bellybutton too. But I think this plays into the aforementioned idea that he's completely sold out and is a public figure. Snyder is going for the most crass expression of a superhero that has been seen in film before.

I haven't read the comic but from a little bit of research it seems like something that can be really awesome so I think that it'll satisfy everyone.

Back