WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (book SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RORSCHACH!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, sounds kinda interesting. I've never read it before but I think I'll take a peek at it. The wikipedia quote Mike posted sounds kinda like a novel I read recently Soon I Shall Be Invincible by Austin Grossman in that the superheroes are real and have been around for awhile.

What's the story with the Nixon poster in the first pic? (If that doesn't give anything away to those of us who have not read it?)

Its an important part of the plot. Nixon eliminates the term limits on Presidents and is serving his fifth in office during the tale's progression.

Anyone who hasn't read it should check it out. But The Mike is right, people seem to either love it or hate it.

Hmph interesting plot element. Does it have a strong political slant to it? I get bored when I read books with strong political messages because I find I usually disagree with the authors views and it distracts me from the plot.

I wouldn't say strong IMHO....I've read much more polarizing comics than this....

For those Rorschach Fans, this T-Shirt run is trying to get off of the ground over at RPF:

Rorschach-shirt-mockup2.jpg

They need only two more orders to get a greenlight....

I wouldn't say strong IMHO....I've read much more polarizing comics than this....

For those Rorschach Fans, this T-Shirt run is trying to get off of the ground over at RPF:

Rorschach-shirt-mockup2.jpg

They need only two more orders to get a greenlight....

OH man, that shirt is AWESOME

Hmph interesting plot element. Does it have a strong political slant to it? I get bored when I read books with strong political messages because I find I usually disagree with the authors views and it distracts me from the plot.

Watchmen has an alternate timeline, like if you ever read The New Frontier(the new movie looks great from the previews, by the way) were superheroes were prevalent in the 40's and onwards. The same world events happened, just that in this timeline super heroes exist and engage sometimes causing different outcomes from our real history.
When Nixon became President the most powerful super hero, and one of the few characters with actual super powers, went to fight in the Vietnam War and won. So instead of the mixed reception we have today with the Vietnam war it is seen there as a great success.
Nixon's power and influence grew with such victories thanks to the superheroes to the point that in 1985, when the story happens, Nixon is still President.
Trust me, if you read Watchmen you will see were a lot of super hero stories within the last 20 years got their inspiration. I am a big fan of The Incredibles and even that great movie has aspects of Watchmen in it.

Watchmen is without a doubt one, if not the, best limited series ever..

...BUT I just can't get excited about this movie. :(

I just know that somehow someway Hollywood will completely ruin and tarnish the Watchman "name", much like the same thing that happened to Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Now whenever you mention LXG the only thing most people think of is the god awful movie instead of the awesome comic books. :monkey2

If you are interested in the shirt PM me your email address and I'll pass it along to the organizer in your stead.

I didn't get the Watchmen when I first read it. I didn't like Gibbons art (still don't). But after reading other Moore stuff I came back to it and appreciated it a lot more.

I just know that somehow someway Hollywood will completely ruin and tarnish the Watchman "name", much like the same thing that happened to Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Now whenever you mention LXG the only thing most people think of is the god awful movie instead of the awesome comic books. :monkey2

To this day I have not watched LXG. :monkey4

The Absolute Editions are beautiful.

I thought the LXG movie was mediocre when I first saw it, but after picking up the originals and reading them, I realized how bad the film was. One of the worst adaptations ever.

I thought the LXG movie was mediocre when I first saw it, but after picking up the originals and reading them, I realized how bad the film was. One of the worst adaptations ever.

It's no wonder Moore had his name taken off the movie. He's done the same with Watchmen. I think he refuses to have his name on any movie from now on.

I've never seen the movie, but I have the first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on my shelf waiting to be read.

It's no wonder Moore had his name taken off the movie. He's done the same with Watchmen. I think he refuses to have his name on any movie from now on.

I think he had his name removed from Watchmen because of his long feud with DC.

Back