WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (book SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RORSCHACH!!!!!!!!!

I love it. Unless you are looking you don't realise it's him.

Perfect way to give us a first glimpse.

The other pics are just as good. The Gunga Diner and the Newstand all brought to life.

As a major league fan of this book I am SOOOOOOOO excited and these pics have kicked it up a notch.

I'm about 1/3 through the book so far and I have to admit I'm bored senseless, I'm hoping it picks up in the last half.... :eek:

I'm about 1/3 through the book so far and I have to admit I'm bored senseless, I'm hoping it picks up in the last half.... :eek:

Really?

First time you've read it?

I bought issue two 'Absent Friends' when it came out and it blew my mind. All of the good stuff that Moore put into that book is amazing.

The guy was at the top of his game when he wrote Watchmen.

Can someone explain this to me?

I feel so unhip.... :eek:

Wikipedia said:
Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons. Originally published by DC Comics as a monthly limited series from 1986 to 1987, it was later republished as a trade paperback,[1] which popularized the "graphic novel" format. To date, Watchmen remains the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award,[2] and is also the only graphic novel to appear on Time Magazine's 2005 list of "the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present."[3]

Watchmen is set in 1985, in an alternative history United States where costumed adventurers are real and the country is edging closer to a nuclear war with the Soviet Union (the Doomsday Clock is at five minutes to midnight). It tells the story of a group of past and present superheroes and the events surrounding the mysterious murder of one of their own. Watchmen depicts superheroes as real people who must confront ethical and personal issues, who struggle with neuroses and failings, and who - with one notable exception - lack anything recognizable as super powers. Watchmen's deconstruction of the conventional superhero archetype, combined with its innovative adaptation of cinematic techniques and heavy use of symbolism, multi-layered dialogue, and metafiction, has influenced both comics and film.

Its one of those books though IMHO that you either really liked or really didn't. I haven't really met too many people whom were "in-betweeners"....

My favorite comic story ever.....I'm scared to death of the film but who knows...300 was good!

I've read Watchmen at least twice now, and it has still never "clicked" for me.
I keep re-trying it to see if I'll get whatever is so epic about it, but no dice yet.

My #1 with nothing else close is Kingdom Come. I'd love to see that as a film,
but there is no way it'd ever come together.

JS

I'm intrigued. Maybe I will pick up the trade paperback.

I guess I have til 2009 to get up to speed:lol

I love Kingdom Come and Marvels as well, but they never hit me like Alan Moore did in his prime. Miracleman, Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, and Miracleman all stunned me when I read them...even now the guy writes some great stuff with League of Extraordinary Gentleman and Top 10. Alan Moore redefined what comics could be to me.

I was in the same boat. I read about 100 pages and I was like :huh . But then as I read the rest, the book just because great. Can't describe it any other way. Don't know how they are going to make it into a feature.

RORSCHACH rules

I feel so jealous of anyone who is reading Watchmen for the very first time.
If you don't have a clue but are interested in super-hero stories pick up Watchmen. It just keeps getting better every time I read it and it makes me appreciate the super-hero genre even more.

If you liked Marvels and Kingdom Come give Watchmen a try.

I never really considered myself much of a comic book fan, so a friend took that as a challenge and bought me the Watchmen graphic novel for my birthday...and it absolutely blew me away. If this movie is even half as good as the book, I'll be happy. :rock

Just buy the Watchmen trade. That is all.

Alan Moore is the greatest comic book writer ever. His run on Swamp Thing is untouchable.

:lecture:lecture:lecture
EVF KNOWS HIS COMICS.

WATCHMEN IS PROBABLY THE GREATEST COMIC STORY EVER TOLD....ALAN MOORE WAS AND IS STILL A GENIUS.

I'm a huge fan of the Watchmen. I have the complete run of comics, the leather-bound hardcover edition, the Absolute Edition, the art portfolio... :lol

I think Jackie Earle Halie is a good choice to play Rorschach.

Don't forget these as well--it's cool to see the news stand with the boy reading the new issue of "Black Freighter", and the Gunga Diner as well:

watch-1317_select.jpg

WMD-22669_select.jpg

Well then, I guess I just need to keep truckin' on the book and wait for it to get good. All the flashback articles (written by Nighthawk? can't recall at the moment) are just boring the snot out of me... I get the feeling it's all been a lot of setup until now, and some interesting things will happen around the corner. I'll give it another whirl.

p.s. That said, the imagery posted above is VERY exciting. Even for someone like me who is still on the fence about the book, seeing graphic art translated to film so flawlessly like this just makes me giddy regardless of the subject matter. My socks are goin' up and down like an old Fleischer cartoon.

Well then, I guess I just need to keep truckin' on the book and wait for it to get good. All the flashback articles (written by Nighthawk? can't recall at the moment) are just boring the snot out of me... I get the feeling it's all been a lot of setup until now, and some interesting things will happen around the corner. I'll give it another whirl.

p.s. That said, the imagery posted above is VERY exciting. Even for someone like me who is still on the fence about the book, seeing graphic art translated to film so flawlessly like this just makes me giddy regardless of the subject matter. My socks are goin' up and down like an old Fleischer cartoon.

I could never get into the supplimental material, but I could appreicate the effort that was put into it. That being said, I can't wait for this movie.

Back