WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (book SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Cool! I will have to check this out. I was kinda put off by the guy that looks like Batman or the Owl I think they call him. I will check this out though.

Just keep in mind that you won't be able to fly through this book. It took me a week and a half of reading for 1-2 hours a night to finish it (maybe I just read slow). But it was SOOOOO worth it, greatest graphic novel ever.

Moviewise, the only think I'm worried about is Ozy, the guy playing him just doesn't float in my book....

Probably the best Batman comic I've ever read!:rock

Alan Moore = best comic book writer. Period.

Yea, too bad he's a flipping nutjob. I mean, how can this guy NOT look like a nutjob

Alan_Moore.jpg

Yea, too bad he's a flipping nutjob. I mean, how can this guy NOT look like a nutjob

Alan_Moore.jpg

I take a bit of umbrage at that comment. Moore is often misunderstood because of his eccentricities, most notably the scraggly beard. He's actually a really wonderful, kind hearted, normal guy.

I take a bit of umbrage at that comment. Moore is often misunderstood because of his eccentricities, most notably the scraggly beard. He's actually a really wonderful, kind hearted, normal guy.

Really, if it wasn't for the beard he would look "normal."

Well, there are all those rings that look like Sauron fingers. :lol

He doesn't have the wild hair these days, though.

But, really, who cares what he looks like and how eccentric he can be? The man's a genius.

Apologize, meant no offense, I only said it in jest. In all honesty, he seems to have the opinion that his material can't be translated well to film. Which he has all the right to have, but saying that without even watching the film I think is premature. I loved both V For Vendetta the graphic novel AND the film. He even went so far as to not have his name on the film. WHY? Some might think of this as a sense of arrogance, in that nobody can do it better than him.

Apologize, meant no offense, I only said it in jest. In all honesty, he seems to have the opinion that his material can't be translated well to film. Which he has all the right to have, but saying that without even watching the film I think is premature. I loved both V For Vendetta the graphic novel AND the film. He even went so far as to not have his name on the film. WHY? Some might think of this as a sense of arrogance, in that nobody can do it better than him.

That's cool. Alan is very protective of his material, too much so sometimes, but with the craptastic adaptations of League and From Hell I don't blame the guy. V was a fun film but the whole point and message of the thing was subverted into something else he never intended which understandably pissed him off. Watchmen will be altered some, Snyder confirmed the climax will be different in the film, but it looks to be the truest adaptation of Moore's stuff so far - Thank Goodness. This film couldn't have been made even five years ago. I'm so happy the updated, modern script was thrown out.

OMG, that is cool! Goosebumps!!!

I LOVE Tom Stechsculte who performs it. He does such a bang up job on the No Country For Old Men and The Road audio books.

Random plug: Go read a Cormac McCarthy book now!

Between the Watchmen trailer, The Dark Knight, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, and now this... the web has been very good to me this week. Geek power!

Last edited:

Interesting, wonder if it will look like the book and hope it not animation done on a computer.

Just finished reading The Killing Joke, great how Joker and the Comedian think that life is one big joke.

It looks like the comic come to life. :rock Dave Gibbons had a hand in making this and they used all the art from the comics. Wonderful camera work, focus shifts, not the mention a haunting score and great performance. Download it now! It's Free!!!

I also recommend his run on Swamp Thing. As much as I love his other work, Swamp Thing was the first thing I read and is probably my favorite.

Many concepts he used in Watchmen were first introduced in Swamp Thing, including things like Dr. Manhatten's exile on Mars. It also where John Constantine (Hellblazer) was first was introduced.

See if you can also find his Superman story "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow." It was written as the "end" of the silver age Superman and proceeded John Byrne's Superman relaunch. In the same was Killing Joke is one of the ultimate Batman stories, this is one of the ultimate Superman stories.

Yes, Alan Moore is a bit of a nut job but man he's a great writer.

I am reading the Entertainment Weekly article right now and there is a short primer on who the main characters are. But I'm still gonna read the novel, don't worry guys! :D

Some of my favorite quips from the EW article:

"This is no kid-safe funny book flick. It's an R-rated, $100 million adaptation of the smartest, most subversive superhero story ever created."

"The average movie audience has seen so many superhero movies," he(Zack Snyder) says. "And some of this stuff is hard to take seriously. I mean, The Hulk? Come on." Snyder remembers screening some Watchmen footage for an unnamed studio executive. Afterward, Snyder says, the exec turned to hims and said, "This makes Superman look stupid."

Last edited:

It was driving me crazy that I dont know crap about the Watchmen so I went out and bought the trade paperback today:rock

Last edited:

I also bought all 9 seasons of X-Files on a whim :lol

They were all on sale for $20 a season so I jumped on them.

I also bought all 9 seasons of X-Files on a whim :lol

They were all on sale for $20 a season so I jumped on them.

Awesome! With all the Batman hype I almost (not totally though) forgot X-Files: I Want to Believe comes out next week.

Awesome! With all the Batman hype I almost (not totally though) forgot X-Files: I Want to Believe comes out next week.

I have my work cut out for me if I want to watch all 9 seasons by next week :lol

Back