Was 2012 SDCC a disappointment for Star Wars 1/6th Collectors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it wasnt for malgus and vader, i wouldnt even bother looking at SSC booth pics :(

yeah SDCC2012 was a let down, even for hasbro and hot toys (no Hulk :()

I know this is for 1/6 collectors but still I'm disappointed in the eFX Scout helmet: made of fiberglass, Legend is weathered (really curious how they will nail the weathering), Limited is pristine (that is what I want), Legend only sold on eFX site = again the same crap for the international customers. Thank you eFX, glad I went the fan made route, there is the real soul of the creator put in a prop/helmet.

I guess people have to realize that SW is not at the top fo the pile anymore.

Avengers and to some degree, Amazing Spider-Man have or are currently tearing it up at the box office, while SW slumps along with their horrible CW offering. Alot of companies are looking ahead and not behind. Will SSC or HT ever admit that SW is not their top priority? Of course not. But really what's going to sell better right now - Avengers Loki (that looks ungodly, no pun intended) for $220 or Greivous for (probably) $200+?

I don't think there's a question. Just as SW has slumped in the toy aisle at Walmart, so it is slumping on the high-end stuff as well. Hell, I love SW, but I can see that it's not what it once was, regardless of who makes what for it.

Now to wait for the tomatoes to be thrown..

That may all be true, but I think Avengers will fade. After I grab the HT figures of the major characters I will never need another Avengers character. I'll be done after Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Black Widow, Thor, Loki, and MAYBE Nick Fury. I won't even bother with boring Hawkeye. I mean done. I don't imagine I'll buy another Avengers figure in the next decade after those 6-7. The set will be complete. Am I alone?

When 2013 comes along I'll only be interested in Star Wars, Dr. Who, Prometheus, and maybe the odd one-off here and there.

A gent at the SS booth said that they were having a lot of issues while trying to produce the Grievous figure during production and had to kind of scale back and regroup to figure out what was causing the issues. I bet you we will see it for PO a year from now.

This is the problem with this company..they work up a proto that they cannot put through manufacturing...they will have you pre order it showing the proto, and then you will receive something completely different. The QC has gone in the trash while the prices have skyrocketed. I started with Sideshow because they made decent figures for $50 and the company seemed like a close nit community, especially with freaks..it just feels like a corporation now fueled by greed...so off putting. Just look at Spooktacular.

I feel due to the piling backlog of uncompleted announcements, Sideshow would choose to be quiet this time until they clear that backlog list.

Looking at the current pace, it could take 2-3 years or even more to finish what they have already planned.

I guess people have to realize that SW is not at the top fo the pile anymore.

Avengers and to some degree, Amazing Spider-Man have or are currently tearing it up at the box office, while SW slumps along with their horrible CW offering. Alot of companies are looking ahead and not behind. Will SSC or HT ever admit that SW is not their top priority? Of course not. But really what's going to sell better right now - Avengers Loki (that looks ungodly, no pun intended) for $220 or Greivous for (probably) $200+?

I don't think there's a question. Just as SW has slumped in the toy aisle at Walmart, so it is slumping on the high-end stuff as well. Hell, I love SW, but I can see that it's not what it once was, regardless of who makes what for it.

Now to wait for the tomatoes to be thrown..

Huh? Sideshow is the distributor for Hot Toys here... Just because SSC works more on 1/6 SW projects doesn't mean HT halts their own company.

I feel due to the piling backlog of uncompleted announcements, Sideshow would choose to be quiet this time until they clear that backlog list.

Looking at the current pace, it could take 2-3 years or even more to finish what they have already planned.

:goodpost: :exactly:
With the current pace of releases i'll be able to afford what I want when it will be available. So I'm good. :)

Yeah true, they've got plenty of work to do.
The year or more wait from announcement to actually owning the item is frustrating but it is what it is.

At least we got Bossk, Snowies, Sandies, Malgus, Vader. That's pretty cool.

That may all be true, but I think Avengers will fade. After I grab the HT figures of the major characters I will never need another Avengers character. I'll be done after Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Black Widow, Thor, Loki, and MAYBE Nick Fury. I won't even bother with boring Hawkeye. I mean done. I don't imagine I'll buy another Avengers figure in the next decade after those 6-7. The set will be complete. Am I alone?

Say hello to the mandarin, ant-man, winter soldier, and the guardians of the galaxy :lol

482107_262683983832031_1534970683_n.jpg

This is just going to echo what everyone else has already said, but I was hugely dissapointed.

I thought the SS coverage of their booths was lacking. I was waiting for the booth specific videos which were always really great.

Last year we had Grievous, the battle droids, HT Luke, Boba Fett, IG88 and the STAP!! Amongst others. This year we get a couple of reveals and Grievous was missing (Really sucks) and I didn't even see the STAP which is supposed to get released shortly.

The Same thing with HT. Other years they've shown multiple unexpected figures. This year we get an entire Predator display showing a bunch of Predators that have already been on sale for a while.

I felt like SS was just missing a lot.

The SDCC might be a let down, but this year we saw some good Sideshow star wars stuff: The droid couple, another Vader, Boba, Snowtroopers ...
Some people would've gone nuts a year ago for these news. Some are never satisfied.

Note well I'm not satisfied with the outcome of some figures, but the portfolio has grown well to me.

I think maybe some of the disappointment stems from the fact that most of what they had on display had already been revealed previously. There weren't a whole lot of real surprises.

Back