Wanted

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How one would create figures of S/S quality I have no idea, but if it was possible, my wallet would be ready!!!!!

Oh, its possible. Its a matter of how to keep the costs lowered, not being a big business like they were.

So why not Reyes? She wouldn't sell.

you're forgetting about the big wyatt earp crowd. she was his first wife after all......and her mom was mrs. ingalls and her dad was the manager from "major league". :bonk

Just think of it......
The figures WE want.
In the outfits WE want.
And looking like who they are supposed to be!!!!

don't forget the cease and desist order WE'LL get.:yay

Oh, its possible. Its a matter of how to keep the costs lowered, not being a big business like they were.

keep costs lowered by making un-authorized figures? sure you can keep costs lower if you don't pay the rights holder, but you're still gonna pay a lot for a good sculptor.

a cast of a custom head with a quality paintjob would probably cost at least $50 to $75.

don't forget the cease and desist order WE'LL get

They don't usually get sent to "customizers". I can make all the James Franciscus figures I want. I'm not talking about pinching all the collectors for profits. Sold at cost, they shouldn't bother anyone.

keep costs lowered by making un-authorized figures? sure you can keep costs lower if you don't pay the rights holder, but you're still gonna pay a lot for a good sculptor.

a cast of a custom head with a quality paintjob would probably cost at least $50 to $75.

Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see. :naughty

They don't usually get sent to "customizers". I can make all the James Franciscus figures I want.

i don't know about that.

i know customizers usually are ignored, but i think sideshow, the individual's who's likeness is being used, and the owner of the entertainment property could all pursue legal action to stop and prevent any unauthorized likeness from being used and reproduced, even in small numbers.

just as an example, numerous movie companies and actors could probably shut a well known sculptor and castor down in a heart beat.(i hope this would not happen, as they are cool guys)

i don't know about that.

i know customizers usually are ignored, but i think sideshow, the individual's who's likeness is being used, and the owner of the entertainment property could all pursue legal action to stop and prevent any unauthorized likeness from being used and reproduced, even in small numbers.

just as an example, numerous movie companies and actors could probably shut a well known sculptor and castor down in a heart beat.(i hope this would not happen, as they are cool guys)

Well, yes, anything IS possible. Usually if you're making for yourself its not a big deal. We'd, in essence, be making them for ourselves. The individual and the entertainment property in reality never even hear about it. Sideshow would stand to be the only one to complain. Which would show them to be sore sports if a bunch of "no-talents" could do better than them. As an example, Sideshow could not stop you from making a Brent that looks like Brent as they have now claimed they don't have that right. I can sit in my basement and sculpt all the perfect likeness I want [oh, to have that ability] for myself.
And don't forget, we're just tossing an idea around in an attempt to fill an ever expanding void.

i'm not saying you couldn't make your own stuff, but as soon as you tried to sell any of it, even at cost, sideshow could squash you, since you're probably their favorite customer.:p

The individual and the entertainment property in reality never even hear about it.

that's not true. they know exactly what is going on in the customizing/garage kit community.

I sold some custom DC Famous Covers on ebay and got a C&D from Warners once. But that was one time out a number of customs.

Not that I'm advocating this in any way, but it's not worth the time for the license holders to go after someone making 100 or so items. And SSC isn't likely to do anything unless it were a large company like DiD or Medicom that was doing unauthorized merchandise for a license they hold. After all they started out as garage kit makers.

i'm not saying you couldn't make your own stuff, but as soon as you tried to sell any of it, even at cost, sideshow could squash you, since you're probably their favorite customer
Oh, undoubtedly they could make an impact. I'm sure my email address and my ID here being the same have kept me from being a winner in at least one of the many contests at Sideshow I've entered. And who would know?
If this became a go, I would "detach" myself from it so that Sideshow would have no real reason to try and stop it except a childish, personal vendetta.
As for being their favorite customer?? With the amount of Sideshow I have I should be somewhat well thought of, no matter my opinions. :)

that's not true. they know exactly what is going on in the customizing/garage kit community.

Yes, but I was speaking more of them never knowing when a person asks a sculptor to make a Brent head for his personal collection. For example, if I hired Eydylhands to sculpt Brent for me, for my collection, no one else ever know of it.

I sold some custom DC Famous Covers on ebay and got a C&D from Warners once. But that was one time out a number of customs

Yes, DC, Warner, Paramount and lots of others are finicky about having their names or licenses attached to non licensed items, especially on ebay.

And SSC isn't likely to do anything unless it were a large company like DiD or Medicom that was doing unauthorized merchandise for a license they hold. After all they started out as garage kit makers.

Not likely, but one never knows. Knowing they don't favor honest opinions that may not be pro them, I would put nothing past them. As for their starting out as garage kit makers, they would do well to remember their roots.

Knowing they don't favor honest opinions that may not be pro them
yea, most people are just giddy with glee about people that berate them for the same thing over and over again.

yea, most people are just giddy with glee about people that berate them for the same thing over and over again.

You'd think a big company would be more thickskinned. One of the 1st things they taught us in the academy was to listen but not get angry. And besides we can't all love 'em like you, Dave. ;)

customs

Yeah I'll definately be working on some customs when/if the Buffy Sideshow line dries up.

Re: customs

You'd think a big company would be more thickskinned. One of the 1st things they taught us in the academy was to listen but not get angry.

I'm curious.... What exactly has Sideshow ever done contrary to the philosophy you mention above? (Dooley's outburst doesn't count.... He was NOT speaking for all of Sideshow).

If anything, quite the opposite... I can recall several times throughout the history of this forum that we've given thanks for all criticisms, especially the negative ones. I'm just not sure where you're coming from. Don't mistake other board members' distaste for negative remarks as a reflection on Sideshow.

Don't mistake other board members' distaste for negative remarks as a reflection on Sideshow.

Fair enough Hulkfan. I must admit, when I think Sideshow, Dooley's tirade does jump to the forefront. I understand, now that you've said so, that he wasn't speaking for Sideshow, but, as a Sideshow VIP, thats a fine line to walk. ;)
Sooo...we all friends again? :p

You've had this same attitude towards Sideshow LONG before Dooley made his remarks... So I don't buy that as an excuse. ;)

Really though, of course we're all friends here... That's the point, isn't it?

You've had this same attitude towards Sideshow LONG before Dooley made his remarks... So I don't buy that as an excuse.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lead you into thinking I was making excuses for anything....I don't.
I have admittedly bashed poor Brent around the nebula and back, but I never insulted anyone until Dooley started with me. I always have, and always will honestly post how I feel about the work that comes out as 1:6 figures. I just got four more Sideshow figures yesterday and posted on them all. Some of them I felt very disappointed in, others were a surprise and quite good.
My "attitude" towards Sideshow has always been the same. I love Sideshow and am thankful for the licenses they have had. Its some of the work that I see on the site or get in my hand from them that is sometimes upsetting.
But hey, if you can't accept my apology...so be it.
And Dooley!! :moon

You'd think a big company would be more thickskinned. One of the 1st things they taught us in the academy was to listen but not get angry. And besides we can't all love 'em like you, Dave.

Can't we all just play nice? Dooley's post so many weeks ago was a complete anomaly - I certainly hope that you all realize that by now. Everyone at Sideshow values all opinions - negative, positive, and everything in between. Or else none of us would even bother with the boards in the first place.

I'm sure my email address and my ID here being the same have kept me from being a winner in at least one of the many contests at Sideshow I've entered. And who would know?

Let me just say that it really makes me sad that you would think anyone at the office would discriminate against you in contests. Has anyone EVER given you reason to believe that this would happen? I can verify that the LAST thing on the contest organizers' minds is whether or not the chosen winner has expressed negative opinions on message boards...

And as for Dave, I have only been around a few months, but from what I've seen, he seems to have no problem stating his opinion, good or bad. In fact, he just started a thread the other day - a very informative one I might add - inviting criticisms of the 1/6 bodies. These types of threads are great. Of course, the ones where everone is happy are great too, but it would be pretty worthless to have ONLY good comments - unless everything was truly perfect of course ;)

I just want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for caring enough to post, and I hope everyone can feel comfortable enough here to continue expressing their opinions, be they good or bad, and not get too stomped on by anyone in the process... :toast

Can't we all just play nice?

I was trying. I attempted to make amends with Hulkfan and he accuses me of making excuses, Dooley...'nuff said, Dave..well, how you view his perspective is obviously a matter of opinion. But, being as you asked so nicely [and were so pleasantly diplomatic] OK. :angel

Whoa nelly.... I'm not sure how my post could be taken offensively... :\

Maybe I should replace the word "excuse" with "reason", as that's the only point I was trying to make. As in: Dooley's post was the reason you stated for viewing Sideshow as 'getting angry rather than listening' or not being 'thick skinned'. "Excuse" and "Reason" have the same meaning in that context, but if one word offends you more than the other, I apologize.

Also, I appreciate your effort, but again there are no "ammends" that needed to be made anyway. :) That would imply that you've angered or wronged me in some way, which is not the case. You seem to really believe that someone (or everyone) at Sideshow has it in for you, lol, but that's not true. Honestly! What sense does that make?

Back