Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, if you are going to use a pre-existing property Cars Land should be the blueprint for all future projects, no doubt about that. The level of detail and immersion in that land-not to mention Buena Vista St.-was something Disney had been sorely lacking. Really, only Indiana Jones over in Disneyland had that level of detail in the last 20 years. It's sad too, because that level of detail and immersion used to be the Disney standard not the exception.

I don't want to seem like I'm bashing Disney, there are a whole lot of really awesome projects in the works, and I'm looking forward to a bright future not only at Disneyland, but at all the various parks around the world. Something as simple as the Fantasy Faire has left me excited for things to come.

Either way, I don't see me not renewing my annual pass anytime soon. That being said, when Harry Potter opens at Universal Hollywood, they may have a bit of competition from this pass holder. But, who am I kidding I'll probably just get annual passes for Universal as well as Disney.

I have no interest in Harry Potter. NONE. Less than none, maybe. My wife, however, likes it, so I've somehow gotten stuck seeing the last four, I think. Did those movies change my mind? Nope.

That being said, Harry Potter's theming in IOA is pure insanity. The Forbidden Journey is one of the best and most unique new attractions I've been on in a long time. So for anyone who really likes HP, I can't imagine how blown away they must be by that island.

Funny, I REALLY dislike the Harry Potter movies. The books however, are AMAZING. The only aspect of the films I like is the design. They managed to capture the feel of the books perfectly; it was most of the content I was disappointed with. So in terms of a themed environment it'll be like walking into the novels. Plus, as you say, I've heard from just about everyone how amazing the rides are.

Plus, when they're done well, the licensed aspect just adds to its impressiveness. The first time I walked through Cars Land, I was impressed and surprised in a way a Disney park hadn't done to me in a while.

Cars Land.... it's so impressive, their execution. But deep down, I still know that it's a flawed idea that is only overcome by the size of it all. It's hard not to walk through and appreciate what they've done.

But when all is said and done, there are many who just don't like Cars and never will. I went there on Sunday with a girl who, believe it or not, kept on griping about how ugly Cars Land was. She, obviously has not seen the movie so she's just seeing it at face value.

"why would they even build this?!" she wondered. To her, the cadillac range in the background was just a pile of dirt. But I still forced her onto the ride and.... she loved it. She thought it was the funnest thing ever... probably because she had such low expectations, but... she actually said "now I want to see the movie!"

So... I'm not sure where she'll stand by the end of that or if she'll come around, but that is the risk of doing lands themed to one property.

And I feel the same way with Star Wars. I love Star Wars but don't want to lose Tomorrowland to it. There's something "blue sky" about Tomorrowland as a theme that I don't want it to turn into Star Wars land. I would rather much prefer an actual Star Wars Land dedicated in a third park to anchor that one. There's still PLENTY of science fiction (and fact) ideas to be made.

Funny, I REALLY dislike the Harry Potter movies. The books however, are AMAZING. The only aspect of the films I like is the design. They managed to capture the feel of the books perfectly; it was most of the content I was disappointed with. So in terms of a themed environment it'll be like walking into the novels. Plus, as you say, I've heard from just about everyone how amazing the rides are.

I haven't read the Potter books, and the movies bored me.

BUT I LOVE HARRY POTTER... from the ideas, imagination, etc shown in the films. It's something that has life outside of the movies (much like Star Wars) that I can appreciate. I look forward to when it's finished. It seems like a long ways away, but they already broke ground in demolishing existing buildings to clear way.

Speaking of Star Wars, Salacious Crumb latex dolls have arrived:
DL11102013_110.jpg

Cars Land is decked out with christmas everywhere
DL11102013_111.jpg

The Frozen Royal Reception meet & greet is up and running
DL11102013_007.jpg

What's really impressive is that there's an animatronic Olaf on the roof talking, singing, whatever.
DL11102013_011.jpg

DL11102013_009.jpg

DL11102013_005.jpg

DL11102013_015.jpg

Small World decked out
DL11102013_093.jpg

as is DCA
DL11102013_084.jpg

As always love the pics.:hi5:

I'm bummed I won't be able to make it up to Disney this Christmas season. I'll be going to Maui the first week of Dec so won't be able to get the time off/or afford to make the usual annual trip in Dec. My girlfriend and I are planning a three day trip in the middle of Jan, which is awesome because the past dozen times I've been there the park has been so darn crowded. I'm hoping that a Tues-Thurs trip in one of the slowest months will work out.

Star Wars definitely would be great as it's own land completely autonomous from Tomorrowland. Unfortunately we all know that won't happen. Let's just hope that some of the new attractions in TL will be stand alone endeavors not reliant on any film or pre-existing property-unless it's a TRON based attraction. That would make me...:blissy

I think a Star Wars expansion could work well at Hollywood Studios in Florida. The park needs more stuff in the back end of the park.

Test Track 2.0 at EPCOT has a Tron feel to it. I kind of missed the old version, but enjoyed creating this beauty during my last trip.

IMG_0432.jpg

It was rated the #4 vehicle of the day. Of course it was about 10 A.M.:lol

I watched the new World of Color Winter Dreams show last night and while I'll have photos later, I just wanted to say that it's a much better show than the original. It helps that it has a theme throughout which really helps.

I think a Star Wars expansion could work well at Hollywood Studios in Florida. The park needs more stuff in the back end of the park.

Test Track 2.0 at EPCOT has a Tron feel to it. I kind of missed the old version, but enjoyed creating this beauty during my last trip.

IMG_0432.jpg

It was rated the #4 vehicle of the day. Of course it was about 10 A.M.:lol

new to thread - hello everybody :wave:wave:wave

I love WDW. Anyways, yeah i think a Star Wars expansion would be excellent and almost a given at this point. They can lose Streets of America afaic. The same goes for the Stunt Show Spectacular - i just find that experience to be boring. I loved the Backlot Tour before it was gutted so that can go too ;) HS needs a Pixar based expansion and a Star Wars expansion to reinvigorate itself. Heck, I'd go for a Lucasfilm Land - his properties are classic, intergenerational touchstones and somewhat timeless (esp. Howard the Duck - just kidding) - a perfect combination for Disney i think. The backside of HS is going to get a major facelift and the sooner the better.

I didn't like the new Test Track. The interactive portion at the beginning is just a ruse. I mean, competing with smartphones for queued-up guests attention is cool, but I wish the diversion had more impact on the actual experience (which is exactly the same as before but with a cheaper look and feel) - capturing 'the future' nowadays is a lost cause imo, as it just happens too fast atm. Test Track is the equivalent of driving 60mph in a convertible - *yawn* but i STILL like it ;)

Epcot's current state saddens me - Futureworld is a husk. Journey Into Imagination is on life support, Wonders of Life is just a shell, Mission (RIP Horizons) Space is a murder simulator (i almost died on it - never, ever again will i ride Orange o_O - Green is still fun though). The Land Pavilion is just an extended queue for Soarin'. I NEVER see a wait longer than 15 minutes for Living With The Land (15m is a generous estimate) - i love that ride though :) and i love Soarin' too. Spaceship Earth is a classic which holds a special place in my heart irregardless of revision. I LOVE the World Showcase ;) Love it. Living Seas fell victim to 'brand synergy' - remember how exciting it was to take the hydrolators? Now you're just dumped out to the aquariums after the Nemo ride ;/ Tokyo Disneysea does something cool that's hydrolatoresque with the elevators that take you down in 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'. It's really immersive and you can feel the heat swell as you head towards the earth's core.

Epcot was my favorite park when i was a child, but it's hurting currently and that makes me a bit sad.

Nice wheels btw!!!

Last edited:
There's a lot of Epcot that is really out of date. Especially for a land called Future World, it seems like a 80s vacuum.

I too think Test Track is absolutely boring. I drive that fast (faster actually) on the freeways on a daily basis so having to do that and without anything fun to look at is a complete yawn.

Mission Space is AWESOME though. I love it. But, I wish they would update it so that pushing the buttons DO effect the outcome of the ride. I hate that it crashes all the time.. would be cool to have a successful landing via teamwork.

What really does suck though is their closing of the Wonders of Life Pavilion. That's an ENTIRE LAND, you guys. There was an E-Ticket (body wars... hated it, but still...) and Cranium Command and a few other things.

More pics from Disneyland!

Over in the Big Thunder Ranch, it has turned into the Jingle Jangle Jamboree.
DL11102013_019.jpg

It's where you can meet Santa, kids can color, watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, meet Mickey and gang in their Christmas attire, get seasonal foods and....

they named the donkey Pocahontas.
DL11102013_021.jpg

Over in Adventureland, they're doing something new this year. Jungle Cruise has a Christmas layover too! Now the ride is Jingle Cruise: Jungle All the Way.
DL11102013_077.jpg

DL11102013_022.jpg

Don't worry... none of the animals or sets are wearing santa hats but the queue is more christmas'ed up.
DL11102013_033.jpg

DL11102013_031.jpg

DL11102013_036.jpg

They re-named the boats with some Holiday puns and what not
DL11102013_032.jpg

DL11102013_035.jpg

DL1114013a_180.jpg

DL1114013a_179.jpg

Even the Attraction Poster at the Train Station got updated..
DL1114013ab_005.jpg

The jokes now have a holiday theme to them and having done it twice, it of course all depends on your skipper. I've so far had a so-so one (girl) and an AWESOME AWESOME one (guy). Really a lot of fun and I'm glad they're changing things up.
DL1114013a_185.jpg

DL11102013_053.jpg

DL11102013_044.jpg

DL11102013_048.jpg

DL11102013_059.jpg

DL11102013_069.jpg

DL11102013_073.jpg

DL11102013_076.jpg

Over in Fantasyland is the Frozen meet & greet.

DL1114013a_041.jpg

Olaf doing his usual thing and interacting with guests. It's all random though.
DL1114013a_031.jpg

Here you can meet both Elsa and Anna from Disney's Frozen.
DL1114013a_045.jpg

DL1114013a_046.jpg

Late at night long after the meet & greet has closed, Olaf can be found sleeping, snoring, yawning....
DL11102013_102.jpg

More stuff to come!

Next up: "it's a small world" Holiday in Fantasyland.

DL1114013a_161.jpg

DL1114013a_067.jpg

DL1114013a_068.jpg

DL1114013a_077.jpg

DL1114013a_082.jpg

I found out I'm on the bottom of the naughty/nice list
DL1114013a_081.jpg

DL1114013a_103.jpg

DL1114013a_109.jpg

DL1114013a_073.jpg

fantastic pics - disneyland seems to be holding up the quality torch of yore afa WDW is concerned.

eh, it's just an attendance density issue. the park would look ransacked if it did WDW's numbers even in scale i think.

i want to go to disneyland :)

Back