Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I had a few pints was at Raglan Road. I would've gone on Mission to Space after that. Would've been fun.

Mission to Space Orange is impressive, especially lift off. Perhaps the only advantage Star Tours has is the visuals were been revamped recently and are feature film quality. Mission's visuals could use a refresh. But the capsule, the lobby, the micro-g gimble mockup - blew the doors off Star Tours.

I took some video on my phone:

Here's a pan and look at the entire lobby
[ame]https://youtu.be/--jJOF74r84[/ame]

A closer look at the micro gravity wheel
[ame]https://youtu.be/KHoYjFb-djw[/ame]

"Mission Control" - this is where you can sit if you get cold feet about going on the ride.
[ame]https://youtu.be/cfx8Amc9F8U[/ame]

Star Tours has better visuals, but the motion system and feeling of acceleration on Mission is much better. Star Tour gift shop was fun, but nothing terribly exclusive or exciting. Here's one of me:

hhS5I.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, I also kind of wish that MISSION SPACE's ending was entirely dependent on how well your team pushed all the buttons on the ride. It should be possible to have a perfect landing perhaps with some team effort.

Yeah, Mission could use a few possible paths like Star Tours.

I suspect Star Tours uses the Pod Racing sequence too often. I went three times and it was on every one of my rides.

The only ride that nearly made me hurl was the Mad Hatter Tea Cups. Inner ear mayhem.

Funny, I will try ANY rollercoaster out there, but I AVOID those Tea Cups. I just can't stand the spinning sensation.

I am upset to hear you went on Big Thunder Mountain...not for you but for me..i was just there from the 16th of May until the 22nd and it was closed for rehab...damn I missed it by that much!

I am upset to hear you went on Big Thunder Mountain...not for you but for me..i was just there from the 16th of May until the 22nd and it was closed for rehab...damn I missed it by that much!

Big Thunder Mountain at night is simply amazing, is really really awesome, specially if the moon is out, not only because the lights in the ride are on (I mean like the windows and stuff) but then you have the moon and the Castle with lights as well, is one of my favorite things to do,

Funny, I will try ANY rollercoaster out there, but I AVOID those Tea Cups. I just can't stand the spinning sensation.

I know if I do the tea cups i will throw up, Im sure, I suffer from motion sickness, I will never do the tea cups, ever, yet Ive done almost every roller coaster in FL,

The only time I had a few pints was at Raglan Road. I would've gone on Mission to Space after that. Would've been fun.

Mission to Space Orange is impressive, especially lift off. Perhaps the only advantage Star Tours has is the visuals were been revamped recently and are feature film quality. Mission's visuals could use a refresh. But the capsule, the lobby, the micro-g gimble mockup - blew the doors off Star Tours.

I took some video on my phone:

Here's a pan and look at the entire lobby
https://youtu.be/--jJOF74r84

A closer look at the micro gravity wheel
https://youtu.be/KHoYjFb-djw

"Mission Control" - this is where you can sit if you get cold feet about going on the ride.
https://youtu.be/cfx8Amc9F8U

Star Tours has better visuals, but the motion system and feeling of acceleration on Mission is much better. Star Tour gift shop was fun, but nothing terribly exclusive or exciting. Here's one of me:

hhS5I.jpg

Yah, I also kind of wish that MISSION SPACE's ending was entirely dependent on how well your team pushed all the buttons on the ride. It should be possible to have a perfect landing perhaps with some team effort.

is funny you guys love the ride so much I cant stand it, I went once and hated it, I hate that ride, the screen is so tiny, i just did not like it at all
I have a much better time at Space mountain, i love that ride

I went on the tea cups one night with the wife at about 1am and we were spinning it as fast as we could..i felt like I could Vom for about two hours after

Big Thunder Mountain at night is simply amazing, is really really awesome, specially if the moon is out, not only because the lights in the ride are on (I mean like the windows and stuff) but then you have the moon and the Castle with lights as well, is one of my favorite things to do,

Agreed. I went on Big Thunder and Splash Mountain during magic hours just before midnight. No lines, no waiting. There's no light on many parts of Big Mountain, dark makes it a lot of fun.

is funny you guys love the ride so much I cant stand it, I went once and hated it, I hate that ride, the screen is so tiny, i just did not like it at all
I have a much better time at Space mountain, i love that ride

The visuals need re-visiting. They look dated. Everything else is great. If they put Star Tours level visuals on Mission I bet you'd like it better. The motion system is better than Star Tours.

Agreed. I went on Big Thunder and Splash Mountain during magic hours just before midnight. No lines, no waiting. There's no light on many parts of Big Mountain, dark makes it a lot of fun.

The visuals need re-visiting. They look dated. Everything else is great. If they put Star Tours level visuals on Mission I bet you'd like it better. The motion system is better than Star Tours.

maybe, I just felt the screen was way too little, I thought it was going to be better, but i didnt understand why they would make the screens of the ride so small, took me out of it, and like you said the visuals were not good, I Love Star Tours though,

and I was able to do Big Thunder around 9 when the Fireworks were going off, and, it was amazing

The screens are small so you stay focused and look forward. If you look to the side then your brain will explode.

Okay, your brain won't explode but you're spinning at such a high rate and you'll start to realize that you're spinning, get dizzy, get royally sick.

So I have in my hands now are a few theme park exclusive toys. All car related! First is Universal Studios Hollywood's exclusive EVAC. This is supposed to the be character you ride around in.
IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6883.jpg

The doors even simulate the ride vehicle door motion. If you've been on SPIDER-MAN at Islands of Adventure, same idea.
IMG_6895.jpg

And then Cars Land at Disney California Adventure has a few exclusive ride vehicles in the same scale as the Mattel Cars line.
IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

So far there are only these 4 colors.
IMG_6924.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

Evac is $21.95
CARS are $6.95

Just speculating, but perhaps small monitors are easier to service on a ride where the component are accelerated to several Gs. I suspect the glass on a large monitor could easily break under it's own weight when spinning on a centrifuge.

maybe, you guys sound about right,
I still prefer doing Space mountain, that is such a fun ride, I Love it, is one of my favorite things to do at MK, is so much fun. I remember the first time I did it it scared me lol,

maybe, you guys sound about right,
I still prefer doing Space mountain, that is such a fun ride, I Love it, is one of my favorite things to do at MK, is so much fun. I remember the first time I did it it scared me lol,

:lol I remember riding it the first time when I was 5 and was scared out of my mind after. Now I love riding it, but being 6'5" it does a number on my shins if I'm not situated correctly.

Just wanted to tell everyone "so long for now!" because I'll be at Disneyland the next three days! I'll be checking out all the new things at California Adventure and can actually talk about it when I'm back!

Actually, I can sorta talk about it now. AMAZING. Cars Land... I had my doubts because it's a land based on a movie but when they pull out all the stops, I can't complain. They really pulled out all the stops.

There's only THREE rides in CARS LAND which may be disappointing but the grand ride is so good, I almost want to count it as two rides. Here's the ride breakdown:

MATER'S JUNKYARD JAMBOREE -- Basic swinging tumbler type attraction that goes in a figure 8, but you're sitting in a trailer and whipped around. There's actually a pretty good thrill element even though it looks like a kiddie ride. I had fun.

LUIGI'S FLYING TIRES -- Based on Disneyland's Flying Saucers ride of the 60s, you board "floating" tires that are air lifted and you lean in directions to go around and bump into other people. It's not as CRAZY as it was in the 60s because of how massive these vehicles need to be now. Picture an air hockey table. Now picture yourself riding a puck. Now imagine it toned down a bit. That's what this is. I thought it was fun but I can see how some might be bored with it.

RADIATOR SPRINGS RACERS -- Now this ride... this ride is frickin' amazing. Cars Land is 12 acres. This ride is SIX ACRES OF IT. It goes indoors it goes outdoors. There's a dark ride element where you see all the favorite CARS characters in animatronic form. Then you race another car side by side... and the winner is randomized. I've ridden it four times and only won once, lost twice, and one time raced no other car due to a delay. So it adds to the fun of it. It's just fun.

Okay, see ya when I see ya.

The screens are small so you stay focused and look forward. If you look to the side then your brain will explode.

I actually did that this trip, just to see what would happen. The first time I went on ever, years ago, it made me feel genuinely weird. After that, it's fun but doesn't mess me up. So last week, I kept looking around the cockpit, just to see if I really would get jacked up. Didn't happen. But I could see it really screwing someone up, I just have a high tolerance for it.

I just got in tonight, but it was mission successful for the name tags, I just have to sort out all my Disney stuff and I'll get them ready to go.

Awesome!!!! And you're a lot braver than I am! Although I suppose if I went more often I might have tried it!

Day 1 of Disney California Adventure accomplished!!

JL and his wife wave hello
CARSLAND_0530.jpg

CARSLAND_0522.jpg

Far...
CARSLAND_0523.jpg

Near!
CARSLAND_0493.jpg

CARSLAND_0494.jpg

lots more to come.

I can't compete with Cohete for picture quality, but some misc shots from my trip (I'd post more but have been too lazy to resize).

Fun fact: If you stay at Bay Lake, you will see this view a lot, because the elevators there are the slowest things EVER.

LsDao.jpg

We got to be part of some of the hardest Florida rain I've ever been a part of. The lightning was insane, flashing every 20-30 seconds, and there was literally a river running down Frontierland's street. They had to clear the streets because they were worried it would turn to hail.

CKHR2.jpg

ipri3.jpg

Not a particularly interesting picture, but my cat Figaro is named after, well, I'm sure you can guess.

SbZT3.jpg

Probably a typo.

I29ya.jpg

Sunset from the California Grill.

sTcM9.jpg

Sonny Eclipse is the man. Figuratively.

h2vXt.jpg

My terrible camera technique resulted in Abe looking like an absolute bad ass.

zTMJE.jpg

CokeBabies, no competition necessary. We all love to see everyone's pictures regardless of the camera!

I'm back from Day #2 of Disneyland. Spent the entire day at California Adventure. Soaked in all of Buena Vista Street and more of Cars Land and also checked out the new World of Color with the added BRAVE segment. They gave us these new light up mickey ears that were synced with the show. It was insane. I'll have pics to back this up eventually!

Back