Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good to hear! I think I read it off of one of those construction fences that was out front, sign might have been in the wrong area or perhaps I was lol. Know of any plans to fix up Space Mountain? When I last rode it it shook and jerked me around so bad gave me a migraine (never happened before). Maybe I'm just getting spoiled with all the smooth riding new coasters...

The Walt Disney World Space Mountain will most likely stay as it is. I hate it, personally because it's always been a jerky coaster. It's essentially the same type of coaster the Matterhorn Bobsleds in Disneyland is (two tracks and all) but the difference there is that you can SEE where you're going and anticipate a lot of the turns. In Space, you're just holding on for dear life.

Space Mountain in CA is smooth.

Now Magic Kingdom has two coasters that are mine related. Brilliant.

Just spent a week in Florida - two days at Disney, two at Universal, a couple hanging out. I still love Disney, but Universal is my prefered park at this point. Kids are a little older now, and the rides are more in line with what they enjoy. Harry Potter really is a cool set up too - hope to see Disney do something similar for Star Wars.

Disney did have some solid shows, especially Lion King. Of course, the Indy stunt show is still great. I was very impressed by the improvement in the animatronic characters - far smoother movement, much less robotic. The characters in Ariel's Grotto were terrific, and they improved the characters in other rides as well.

Fast Pass is working better too, and I like the app. It took some effort to get the tickets attached electronically to the people (registered), as it kept dropping them randomly at first, but once I got it working it was pretty smooth. Much better than waiting at the kiosks.

I don't know how long the Yeti has been broken, but that was a bummer. However, both Tower of Terror and the Aerosmith coaster were as fun as always. We didn't bother with Epcot - never have enjoyed that park. We spent one full day at Magic Kingdom, and spent the next day between Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. I've been going to DL and DW for a long time now (first time at DL was in 1968) and it's fascinating to see the evolution. Right now I think Disney is behind in the park/attraction race, resting on nostalgia a little too much, but I'm hoping that with some of their recent announcements - and what they could do on the Star Wars side now - that they'll catch back up in a big way.

I've been a Disney Park fan since forever so it was a big thrill for me to share it with my daughter on her 5th birthday. She of course had a blast. She's 7 now and still wants to talk about her favorite rides and attractions. I can't wait until my new born is older so that we can do it all over again so she can have those memories. It's a great sense of nostalgia, which I love every sense of, and no matter what the ride or attraction is, I want to do it and experience it. I'm glad too my wife shares similar feelings and we've even talked about retiring in FL just so we can go to the park whenever we want.

Right now I think Disney is behind in the park/attraction race, resting on nostalgia a little too much, but I'm hoping that with some of their recent announcements - and what they could do on the Star Wars side now - that they'll catch back up in a big way.

When it comes to Florida, I very much agree with you. And there's nothing really nostalgic to me about Walt Disney World. So much of it is very stale, tired, and not up to date.

I don't get nostalgia at Disneyland either really… only when I look at old photos of things long gone.

Back to Disneyland, here's the Frozen float.

DL07052014_125.jpg

DL07052014_157.jpg

DL07052014_148.jpg

Over in Tomorrowland, where Captain EO once was, the rather large Guardians of the Galaxy preview went in, but I think it's going very soon. The preview was cool because it added wind and lighting effects and some theater shaking along with 3D.
DL07052014_171.jpg

Space Mountain… never realized that the middle speakers look like mouse ears!
DL07052014_184.jpg

DL07052014_185.jpg

DL07052014_190.jpg

DL07052014_198.jpg

At night
DL07052014_295.jpg

Tomorrowland Terrace
DL07052014_291.jpg

Tomorrowland at dusk
DL07052014_218.jpg

Matterhorn at dusk
DL07052014_220.jpg

DL07052014_230.jpg

Splash Mountain at night (turned 25 earlier this summer)
DL07202014_007.jpg

Haunted Mansion just turned 45 years old last weekend.
DL07202014_009.jpg

Dole Whip!
DL07202014_002.jpg

The Walt Disney World Space Mountain will most likely stay as it is. I hate it, personally because it's always been a jerky coaster. It's essentially the same type of coaster the Matterhorn Bobsleds in Disneyland is (two tracks and all) but the difference there is that you can SEE where you're going and anticipate a lot of the turns. In Space, you're just holding on for dear life.

Space Mountain in CA is smooth.

Now Magic Kingdom has two coasters that are mine related. Brilliant.

That sux. When I was a kid I remember the coaster lighting up brighter in the dark... last time they seemed barely lit. It could be the best rider there again if they gave it a little love. Rockin Roll Roller Coaster puts it to shame.

Hey I thought EO was always over in Epcot... Was cool to see it when I was there but gosh darnit I missed Honey I Blew Up the Audience :(

Great pics as always Coheteboy!:clap

I bothered to go see EO back in January when I was in Florida. It played to a packed house of about 15 midday. I agree with you about the brain-dead decision making being done at WDW. EO will probably get shut down soon and they'll probably leave it empty since there's a shortage of those at EPCOT.:ohbfrank:

I'm also not sure about the rumored shutdown of the Norway pavilion, to turn it basically into a Frozen pavilion. Yes, Maelstrom is cheesy, but I want it left alone.:lol

I believe Maelstrom will be shut down on September 28, 2014 in order to change it to frozen. I enjoy the ride as is, but I like that they are updating rides.. its been there forever.. I want some new stuff.. and with Frozen being so popular you can't blame them. They are turning Blizzard Beach into a Frozen themed water park soon.

When it comes to Florida, I very much agree with you. And there's nothing really nostalgic to me about Walt Disney World. So much of it is very stale, tired, and not up to date.

I don't get nostalgia at Disneyland either really… only when I look at old photos of things long gone.

Yea..I think that is a person to person thing.. for me Disney World is super nostalgic for me.. just being there is awesome.. I grew up going every other year or so until high school. Then didnt go for 15 years until two years ago with my wife.. it brought back alot of great memories and just had that "magic" feeling like it use to. I have noticed alot of changes in certain things, some good, some not. I really look forward to it, going again this November and taking my mom along as she hasnt been in 20 years now.. looking forward to being able to take her too..My wife is already sick of it because of me dishing out Disney "fun facts" everyday. She isnt one of the nostalgic people.

It's that wig. It always makes them look like a grandmother. Any con Elsa looks better sadly.

Yup. It's this weird juxtaposition with the old lady hair contrasted with the young (although, oddly enough, often witchy-looking) face.

edit: Also, jeez at my atrocious syntax in the initial comment.

Over in Adventureland, Disneyland this month they started up with the Adventure Trading Company. This is a game they were beta testing at last year's D23 Expo but have now finally implemented it into the park for just this month only.

Basically, you buy jujus but some of them you will need to finish a scavenger hunt or quest to obtain it. For others, you will need to buy a food or drink item.

It all starts at Indiana Jones Outpost
DL08032014_054.jpg

DL08032014_051.jpg

These are the four that I got from D23 last year… the skull is the only one not being offered this time so it looks as if I have a special one now.
DL08032014_059.jpg

To get the Snake Juju, simply buy Venomade from Bengal Barbecue. Some Cast Members make you drink some before they give you the juju, just to make sure you're brave enough for the challenge. $7.50
DL08082014_006.jpg

The Pineapple Parfait juju can also be bought without a quest. It's supposed to come with stickers but sometimes you don't get it.
DL08082014_001.jpg

To get the Indiana Jones "Eye of Mara" juju you'll get a map that you'll need to translate, find another tablet, translate that, etc etc.
DL08082014_007.jpg

DL08082014_012.jpg

When you figured it all out, you'll need to "choose wisely" to get your juju.
DL08082014_015.jpg

To get the Elephant Juju, you read a newspaper and find a phone number that directs you to a location with a chalk board, find out what it says to get your clue on where to go, etc etc.
DL08082014_025.jpg

Anyway, it's pretty good fun but to get them all will cost you a decent grip of cash.

I believe Maelstrom will be shut down on September 28, 2014 in order to change it to frozen. I enjoy the ride as is, but I like that they are updating rides.. its been there forever.. I want some new stuff.. and with Frozen being so popular you can't blame them. They are turning Blizzard Beach into a Frozen themed water park soon.

So is it still going to be Norway but with a Frozen themed ride instead of Maelstrom? I'm not objecting the change, as I am all for upgrading, but I will miss Maelstrom. It was a cool ride and I loved that large mural they had. I hope they keep that in some way. I think it would make more sense to change it to a THor themed ride and would probably cost less to do so, but I doubt they would single out just one character from Marvel.

As long as they never touch the ride at Mexico, I'm for it.

Yes but the ride itself is basically the same. I was there 2 years ago and didn't notice much of a difference. I'm talking about like Maelstrom which will be overhauled to be something completely different.

So I was lucky enough to go to Club 33 this month and I took some pics. They expanded and added a new Jazz Lounge / Bar area where you don't need a reservation.

Public area is now a private waiting area for Club 33.
DL08082014_078.jpg

DL08082014_077.jpg

DL08082014_045.jpg

DL08082014_038.jpg

DL08082014_052.jpg

DL08082014_041.jpg

The player piano is so amazing. It plays along with the speakers that play the other instruments, but the piano is live.
DL08082014_048.jpg

DL08082014_055.jpg

DL08082014_129.jpg

DL08082014_132.jpg

Wow great pictures. I doubt I'll ever be able to go there so it's great to live vicariously through other people and their experiences. This definitely looks like a place I would love to go to frequently too.

Back