Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, we're planning a trip to Disney World. Does anybody know what the best strategy would be for the Fastpass+ system. Should you reserve your 3 fast passes for as early in the day as possible? That way you can get more fast passes at one of the Kiosks for later in the day. The risk here is that the good rides may run out of passes. Plus early in the day, its not as crowded so you don't really need to have fast passes then.

Or should you make your 3 fast pass reservations for the afternoon when it is more crowded? The issue here is you most likely wont be able to get any more fast passes after the original 3 run out in the late afternoon. I appreciate any help any one can give. Thanks!

The answer is... yes.

It really depends on specifics. Are you at the window where you can reserve? And, if so, are some of the rides you want not available for the morning?

My wife and I are morning Disney people. I have to stress - morning Disney for me. I'm very much a night person, but if there's morning hours, wake me up at 6 AM and let's go. I won't be happy about it, but let's go.

So we times our FP+s with morning hours, when available. Like, if Magic Kingdom was morning hours, we'd go to morning hours, hit Peter Pan, and a couple of other Fantasyland rides. Then we'd have FP+s for some long liners (Space Mountain, Mine Train, Splash, usually) starting at 9AM - or 9:15 or whatever the first time is.

We were experts with the old system, so I will admit I was against much of the FP+ system. But except for a small handful of annoyances / hiccups, it went well. The biggest advantage is it removes the arbitrary hour wait between FPs. So if you just used your third FP+, and go to see what's available, you could literally have an immediate FP+ for a ride - usually a B/C ride, like Little Mermaid, Pooh, etc - but still - immediate FP+!

When we went (first week of June), every single day, Magic Kingdom was slammed. This was surely due to a) it's the most popular park, b) new Fantasyland is relatively new, c) Mine Train had just opened. So if we counted on the "early mornings = quiet" rule (which is, usually, not a bad strategy), we'd have been doomed.

So my general advice - If you can swing it, get FP+s as early as possible. Then, add ones for immediately available rides, if you're interested.

The biggest problem - Epcot. The tiered nonsense there really screws you up. Since you have to use your three FP+s before getting another - get a FP+ at Soarin or Test Track, then I'd say Spaceship and Nemo - they're easy to get to quickly. If you have them early, you've got a great shot at getting a FP+ for whichever of the E tickets you didn't already get on.

Protip: If you spend the morning at MK, AK, or DHS, and get to Epcot to find out the E ticket FP+s are gone, don't give up. There are two reliable methods - take a pen and keep tapping the BOTTOM of the button for Test Track or Soarin (for some reason, that's where it's responsive) - it may say it's out, but if you spend like a minute or two, there's a very not bad chance that someone will change their plans and drop their FP+, giving you one. It may be for a few hours from now, but that's still not bad. The other good method is if you're willing to split up parties. Test Track has single rider, but Soarin' doesn't. But one thing Soarin' does have is a very welcoming policy for single people looking to add a FP+. So if you're with a party of 2,3,4, etc - if only one person is dying to get on Soarin' - get a FP+ for only them. Single people have a MUCH better chance of slipping in and getting a FP+ for the ride.

And, for the hat trick of posts:

On days you plan on going to MK either later in the day or at night: Obviously, due to the number of rides / attractions, you have the best shot of FP+s being available later on. My wife and I got there at 5-7 PM some nights, and FP+s were readily available. Sure, they weren't for the big boys of Space Mountain, etc, but they were still decent stuff - Haunted Mansion, Buzz, things like that.

Awesome advice, thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to help us out. We set all our stuff for the mornings. Should be a lot of fun. Thanks again!

No problem - the runner up to actually going to a Disney park is talking about Disney parks, so rattling off babbling diatribes about them is second nature.

It's been awhile… more pics from Disneyland!

This group is called Hook & Ladder
DL05302014_144.jpg

DL05302014_138.jpg

Some scenes from Tarzan's Treehouse
DL06142014_003.jpg

DL06142014_008.jpg

You can see the Matterhorn from just about anywhere
DL06142014_001.jpg

DL06142014_005.jpg

DL06142014_011.jpg

Big Thunder
DL06142014_017.jpg

Golden Horseshoe
DL06142014_012.jpg

at Matterhorn Bobsleds
DL06142014_075.jpg

DL06142014_082.jpg

DL06142014_088.jpg

DL06142014_098.jpg

DL06142014_106.jpg

DL06142014_108.jpg

My old place of work, now a Starbucks
DL06142014_115.jpg

Flight to the Moon
DL06142014_153.jpg

Evil Queen
DL06142014_172.jpg

And earlier this summer we said goodbye to Captain EO
DL06142014_167.jpg

I miss the old spot that is now a Starbucks. They had the best chai tea latte there...Starbucks hasn't come close to serving one that's anywhere near as good. I still miss Blue Ribbon too. Yes, it's just transferred down the ways with various new and old offerings but I liked Blue Ribbon's placement on Main Street. Now to think about my impending expiring pass. Do I go up a level to Deluxe or stay at my current level that if I let expire for too long will never be able to be bought ever again. Decisions decisions.

Been a huge fan of Disney parks, particularly World, since I was 8. I was hard pressed when they closed down 20,000 Leagues as I remember that ride pretty vividly and I've only been to DW 4 times in my life. I am excited to see what the new Fantasy Land is like and ride the Dwarf's Mine Tunnel or whatever it's called.

Been a huge fan of Disney parks, particularly World, since I was 8. I was hard pressed when they closed down 20,000 Leagues as I remember that ride pretty vividly and I've only been to DW 4 times in my life. I am excited to see what the new Fantasy Land is like and ride the Dwarf's Mine Tunnel or whatever it's called.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train hehe.

I too was disappointed to find that they tore out 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and in its place was a huge patch of grass. It was years before they finally put Pooh's Thotful Spot in a fraction of that area.

that's the kind of brain-dead decision making in Florida that really upsets me. Tear out an old ride… sure… but give us something else in return! Same goes for the Rocket Rods/People Mover in CA.

And Captain EO might still be in Florida. The one in CA got shut down for the Guardians of the Galaxy preview. I think the one in Walt Disney World was in a different location.

Anyhoo, more pics!

DL07052014_014.jpg

No, this ain't Indiana Jones. It's Rainforest Cafe.
DL07052014_002.jpg

Alice in Wonderland ride reopened recently with new effects. It looks GREAT.
DL07052014_025.jpg

DL07052014_022.jpg

DL07052014_024.jpg

DL07052014_033.jpg

DL07052014_042.jpg

DL07052014_049.jpg

DL07052014_043.jpg

DL07052014_053.jpg

Great pics as always Coheteboy!:clap

And Captain EO might still be in Florida. The one in CA got shut down for the Guardians of the Galaxy preview. I think the one in Walt Disney World was in a different location.

I bothered to go see EO back in January when I was in Florida. It played to a packed house of about 15 midday. I agree with you about the brain-dead decision making being done at WDW. EO will probably get shut down soon and they'll probably leave it empty since there's a shortage of those at EPCOT.:ohbfrank:

I'm also not sure about the rumored shutdown of the Norway pavilion, to turn it basically into a Frozen pavilion. Yes, Maelstrom is cheesy, but I want it left alone.:lol

I LOVE Maelstrom, and the gorgeous blonde operators :)

Last time I was there Thunder Mountain was shut down... I know they're changing the name but is that all?

coulda sworn they had signs up saying it was gonna be changed to a Dwarf Mine Cart Ride...

:mad: I hate it when they change stuff. I'm still not over Mr Toads Wild Ride...

coulda sworn they had signs up saying it was gonna be changed to a Dwarf Mine Cart Ride...

:mad: I hate it when they change stuff. I'm still not over Mr Toads Wild Ride...

The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is in Fantasyland. It's decent - a very well done kids' coaster. But when I was there (which, in fairness, was when it was just opening), it had 2-3 hour waits, which is insane for that ride.

The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is in Fantasyland. It's decent - a very well done kids' coaster. But when I was there (which, in fairness, was when it was just opening), it had 2-3 hour waits, which is insane for that ride.

good to hear! I think I read it off of one of those construction fences that was out front, sign might have been in the wrong area or perhaps I was lol. Know of any plans to fix up Space Mountain? When I last rode it it shook and jerked me around so bad gave me a migraine (never happened before). Maybe I'm just getting spoiled with all the smooth riding new coasters...

Back