V for Vendetta

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomandshell said:
Side note: I'm certainly not going to try and defend Bush, but the fact that a story and movie like this can be released and freely discussed in America shows that we are not living in a country like the one portrayed in the film. There are places in the world where this kind of stuff would be suppressed by the state, so our freely watching and talking about it shows that we really are still living in a free country. When the Dixie Chicks slammed Bush, did he send the secret police to arrest them with bags over their heads, and they were never seen again? Nope. They have the freedom to dislike and publicly criticize him, just like all the rest of us. As long as we are free to voice our disagreements (particularly through a free press/media) and vote accordingly, things aren't as bad here as in the world depicted in V for Vendetta.

I too had read that quote Tom, and found it to be very enlightening. I think it is amusing, when the old "just watch the movie and don't look for a message" argument is made. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but all movies HAVE a message, they are not just entertainment, obviously Moore believes that about his own film - hence his frustration. Now you may not agree with or pick up on the message, or it could just be so axiomatic that you don't even bother to discuss it - but there are certain films where we are not given this luxury. V wants to be discussed, it is asking to be pondered.

I agree with your last paragraph Tom, the ones that are being defended in V; are among the most intolerant and totalitarian govts there are. :rolleyes:

I watch movies for entertainment only. If I want to go deeper or look for a meaning, I'll watch the news or a documentary. But hey, that's just me. :) I won't argue anyones right or desire to look for the meaning or message in a movie and I won't argue that it exists. I just choose to ignore it. :D

Good movie this is....
Long this thread has become....
Frighten me your animated gif does.........
Hold me, noone will..........

yoda.jpg

I'm not gonna get into if Bush is a dumb **** or not because that's a touchy subject.

I rented this last weekend and loved it. I was kicking myself for not getting my ass to the theater when it was out. I now have it on order from Amazon along with a couple other things and it will be here this week.

Finally saw it today. Hadn't paid much attention to the casting, except that Portman and Weaving (at-the-last-minute casting) were in it. Was totally surprised and gratified to see some heavy hitters in there -- John Hurt, Stephen Frye, Stephen Rea, Tim Piggot-Smith, and Sinead Cusak, Rupert Graves -- doing their usual solid bit of acting, even in the smaller roles. (I know most of these names mean nothing to a lot of you, but...). Not having any idea about the plot beforehand, I was pleasantly surprised at its depth and thought-provoking threads. (Yes, I also see movies for entertainment; but I find that movies challenging my thoughts and ideas just as entertaining as anything out there. )

LIKED it a LOT.

Back