Action Figure UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : FINISHED!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : Lighting Test Pictures. 99% done.

It's pretty cool because I uploaded the pics to my Facebook and FB asked me if I wanted to tag the photo - suggesting I tag it as "John Hurt" - because I'm a friend of one of his FB pages. :yess:

Here's as close a closeup as my camera will allow:

nostromo_kane_portrait7.jpg

The other thing to consider is that the top edge where Hurt's lashes are changes depending on the expression. If his brows are raised - that edge rounds inward towards the eyes. If the brows are relaxed - that edge levels off. I like the look of the rounded off edge better since it scales better than having a thin leveled off edge. And it looks more dramatic:

hurt_eyes.jpg

Last edited:

Hmmm, maybe the curve is too round. Maybe more of a rounded cliff to the dropoff than a smooth curve. IMO--the light caught is too thick.
Sorry to pester, Tin, just trying to assist. Maybe because, in that vein, I did the mods below an hour ago...fixed the mouth on this other guy.
(no thread derailing meant)

:peace:peace:peace

BTW--your left pic of Hurt--exact moment: "Smothering, or something...?"

Last edited:

just incredible from start to finish (or almost finished)...............:bow

Re: UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : FINAL PAINTED KANE HEADSCULPT

The final oxidation weathering on the armor really pops. Takes the shininess away and photographs really nicely.
nostromo_kane_head_5.jpg
nostromo_kane_head_6.jpg
nostromo_kane_head_7.jpg

Great job tin. What did you use for the hair?

Re: UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : FINAL PAINTED KANE HEADSCULPT

Great job tin. What did you use for the hair?

Thanks Astro666! :yess: I used rabbit fur for the hair. When matted out with some gloss or even some hair gel - it looks just like scaled down human hair.

Hmmm, maybe the curve is too round. Maybe more of a rounded cliff to the dropoff than a smooth curve. IMO--the light caught is too thick.
Sorry to pester, Tin, just trying to assist. Maybe because, in that vein, I did the mods below an hour ago...fixed the mouth on this other guy.
(no thread derailing meant)

:peace:peace:peace

BTW--your left pic of Hurt--exact moment: "Smothering, or something...?"

No worries Dr. Bernardi! :1-1: If I get a chance - I'll revisit those lower lids. Maybe shave them in a bit.

Tinister, it is SO difficult to look at your great work and find anything I would change about it. However, I did notice something about Hurt's cheeks. Of course he is known for being thin and gaunt looking; but, I looked at this comparison and noticed that you might have overdone the sunken cheeks below the cheek bones. Also, the nostrils on your sculpt are a bit taller than his, and they could use a bit of a defined crease as their lines curl around from the point where they connect to the face, up to the top of each nostril.

nostromokaneportrait7.jpg

Maybe it's just a trick of the light and shadow, but I don't think so. It looks like the depression you have carved out below the cheek bones is too deep.
If you look at his actual photos, you'll see that the depression just below the cheek bones is there, but it's not very large in area, or 'footprint' - and not very deep. Your sculpt appears to have that depression running all the way down both sides of his cheeks almost to the jawline, and your depressions look a bit to deep.
As for the nostrils, compare yours to his picture; His are not quite as tall, measured from bottom to top.
Do you agree? If not, it's fine- I would buy a casting of it as-is in an instant anyway. It's wonderfully done.

Last edited:

We must go on.... *static-static* .... we have to go on.... *static*

That's what I hear in my head when I look at this.

Tinister, it is SO difficult to look at your great work and find anything I would change about it. However, I did notice something about Hurt's cheeks. Of course he is known for being thin and gaunt looking; but, I looked at this comparison and noticed that you might have overdone the sunken cheeks below the cheek bones. Also, the nostrils on your sculpt are a bit taller than his, and they could use a bit of a defined crease as their lines curl around from the point where they connect to the face, up to the top of each nostril.

nostromokaneportrait7.jpg

Maybe it's just a trick of the light and shadow, but I don't think so. It looks like the depression you have carved out below the cheek bones is too deep.
If you look at his actual photos, you'll see that the depression just below the cheek bones is there, but it's not very large in area, or 'footprint' - and not very deep. Your sculpt appears to have that depression running all the way down both sides of his cheeks almost to the jawline, and your depressions look a bit to deep.
As for the nostrils, compare yours to his picture; His are not quite as tall, measured from bottom to top.
Do you agree? If not, it's fine- I would buy a casting of it as-is in an instant anyway. It's wonderfully done.

Thanks Anthrapoid! Yes - I did make the cheeks a little hollowed out. More accuratly - I sort of left out the jawbone on the sides. There's a reason to this though. From the start - I knew that I could make a full head sculpt. Because if I made a full sculpted head with hair - and then put a bonnet on top: there's no way it would all fit into the helmet. And I didn't want to have a sculpted bonnet.

So in sculpting the face - I left the sides of the face a little hollow with the intention of having the bonnet fill in the gap. This way - the head would be pliable on the back, top, and sides. Which allowed me to have a head that appears in scale with the helmet and still allow me to remove and replace the helmet easily.

I'll post pics later tonight with the bonnet all strapped up and you'll see that the hollow cheeks disappear.

We must go on.... *static-static* .... we have to go on.... *static*

That's what I hear in my head when I look at this.

:wink1: That line sticks in my head too! That line and Lambert: "I like griping." :lol

Oh, I see how that would work. (you can't make the bonnet fabric thinner, so you made the face thinner- makes sense.)

That said- do you see what I mean about the nostrils? I think yours are a bit too tall from top to bottom, maybe a bit 'puffy' instead of being more angular and defined. I have a REALLY hard time when I'm sculpting noses.

Oh, I see how that would work. (you can't make the bonnet fabric thinner, so you made the face thinner- makes sense.)

That said- do you see what I mean about the nostrils? I think yours are a bit too tall from top to bottom, maybe a bit 'puffy' instead of being more angular and defined.

I'm probably going to revisit the lower lids again later tonight so I'll try slimming down the nostrils a bit.

I guess my thinking with how I sculpted the cheeks was that I wanted it to look like his cheeks were compressed together (or inward) by the bonnet. Does that make sense?
If I had sculpted the cheeks in all their full glory - and then have the bonnet on top of it - it may have looked too wide.

I'm probably going to revisit the lower lids again later tonight so I'll try slimming down the nostrils a bit.

I guess my thinking with how I sculpted the cheeks was that I wanted it to look like his cheeks were compressed together (or inward) by the bonnet. Does that make sense?
If I had sculpted the cheeks in all their full glory - and then have the bonnet on top of it - it may have looked too wide.
I hope my criticism was taken in the proper spirit- There are many approaches to portraiture; I think getting the 'feel' of the character is more important than exacting physical dimensions. You have certainly got the character of Kane just fine.

Here's a sample of one HS that I did, where I had to fight with the nose for days and days. (Raza, from Ironman)
razaunpainted.jpg

Very nice Anthrapoid! :clap

And no worries. I always appreciate imput. Sculpting is such a solitary process that I'd be crazy not to take advantage of having a few extra eyes looking at my work.

I didn't like the collar I made for Kane before. It seemed too flimsy. So I made a new one that is gray in color and flows much better with the rest of the suit. I actually like making this because I get to make it up pretty much since that area really isn't defined in the movie.

nostromo_kane_portrait14.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait15.jpg

Back