Action Figure UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : FINISHED!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: UPDATED:Custom Nostromo Kane : FINAL PAINTED KANE HEADSCULPT

The new head looks nearly perfect, tin! Sign me up.
You really could work for Hot Toys doing better sculpts for them, but you'd probably have to move to Hong Kong...

For a long time, I've been thinking about sculpting a new 1:6 version of the alien egg.
We all know the eggs that came with the HT Dallas & Kane were not accurate to the first film at all- they were more like those seen in Alien Resurrection.
You have inspired me. If I can, I'll do several different versions:

1) Opaque/dormant (closed),
2) Translucent sides w/vague facehugger embryo visible through the shell (closed)
3) Open-top with that juicy 'I'm about to suck your face' detail at the top.
4) Open-top, empty egg (we all know what THAT means...)

This project will take time because of my health issues, but eventually I want to get it done and make molds so I can share them with others.

Looking forward to seeing high-res photos of the final version of Kane!

That would be awesome Anthrapoid! :clap Yeah - I wasn't so happy with the egg that came with Kane. I also didn't like the diorama base that held the egg. Like you said - it all looks and feels like the second movie.

BTW: I hope your health improves. :)

Was out on vacation so I missed al the excitement here... and damn if there was a loty of excitement!
Your work is amazing Tin, congratulations.

Thanks Abake! :hi5:

Excellent! I'd say 97% there. Can't put my finger on what, but I'd say the eyes need a bit of work. Maybe the bottom lids...either the curve is wrong, or lid too thick. Something....

Thanks Bernardi! :wave I actually made a slight change to the lower lids just after posting those pics last night. Decided to call it a night while they cured. Will post new pics soon.

Hurt's eyes are so tricky to get exactly right. It's a balance between the droopiness of the top lids and the puffiness of the bottom lids. And then how much the pupils bulge from between.

Thanks Bernardi! :wave I actually made a slight change to the lower lids just after posting those pics last night. Decided to call it a night while they cured. Will post new pics soon.

Hurt's eyes are so tricky to get exactly right. It's a balance between the droopiness of the top lids and the puffiness of the bottom lids. And then how much the pupils bulge from between.

Looking forward to seeing the new pix of Kane.

The new head looks nearly perfect, tin! Sign me up.
You really could work for Hot Toys doing better sculpts for them, but you'd probably have to move to Hong Kong...

For a long time, I've been thinking about sculpting a new 1:6 version of the alien egg.
We all know the eggs that came with the HT Dallas & Kane were not accurate to the first film at all- they were more like those seen in Alien Resurrection.
You have inspired me. If I can, I'll do several different versions:

1) Opaque/dormant (closed),
2) Translucent sides w/vague facehugger embryo visible through the shell (closed)
3) Open-top with that juicy 'I'm about to suck your face' detail at the top.
4) Open-top, empty egg (we all know what THAT means...)

This project will take time because of my health issues, but eventually I want to get it done and make molds so I can share them with others.

Looking forward to seeing high-res photos of the final version of Kane!

:yess:That sounds awesome Anthrapoid, you can definitely sign me up. I've got about a dozen of those HT eggs, including the ones that came with my Alien figs, but you can never have enough Alien eggs IMO:cuckoo:. Plus I've got a couple others that were made by somebody else that were unpainted, one of them is closed and the other is open with a facehugger clawing his way out:horror. I really look forward to seeing what you might come up with. I've got some health issues myself so I understand how precious time can be at times, just make sure you take care of yourself first and foremost:lecture. Please keep us updated on your health and if you find the time to move forward on the eggs. Take care.

While waiting for the revised HS to cure - I finished up the overall weathering. I weathered the flashlight to look dusty like everything else. The oxidation on the armor pieces much more closely match the levels in the movie now. I also weathered the shin guards to look more like the ones in the movie (they were too clean before).

nostromo_kane_weathered1.jpg
nostromo_kane_weathered2.jpg

Comparison with previous version:
nostromo_kane_full4.jpg
nostromo_kane_weathered1.jpg

Okay. THIS is the final HS. :rotflI basically balanced out the relationship between the upper and lower eye lids. What I figured out was that from the front - the upper lids look like the protrude forward further than the lower lids. But from the side - the lower lids actually should protrude out a tad further than the uppers. Again - it's a fine fine balance.

Here are some pics. I'm 99% satisfied - which is good enough for now. :yess:

nostromo_kane_head_1.jpg
nostromo_kane_head_2.jpg
nostromo_kane_head_3.jpg
nostromo_kane_head_4.jpg

The final oxidation weathering on the armor really pops. Takes the shininess away and photographs really nicely.
nostromo_kane_head_5.jpg
nostromo_kane_head_6.jpg
nostromo_kane_head_7.jpg

The weathered shin guards and really pulls everything together.
nostromo_kane_close1b.jpg
nostromo_kane_close2b.jpg

That's real boss, dude! Was there anything from the original HT suit that you didn't have to modify?

BB

Hey tin, the final sculpt looks perfect to me!
The dirty knee pads look great too.
I noticed you removed those two thin rods from the helmet, which protruded out from the 'chin' area below the visor glass. That's one of the first details about the helmet I noticed was wrong, so I cut mine off too. Good eye!
It makes me wonder where Hot Toys got it in their heads that there are supposed to be two rods there... I haven't seen the slightest hint of those rods in any photo of the helmets I've ever seen, only low-profile surface detail in that space between the round bulbs.

Last edited:

He looks a little too Asian now, and the comm cap looks a little undersized. But it's still 100X better than the HT version we didn't get. :lol

Some lighting tests pics.
nostromo_kane_portrait1.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait2.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait3.jpg

nostromo_kane_portrait4.jpg
nostromo_kane_portrait5.jpg

Thanks Butters :wave Hurt's eyes are very "Asian". He has that Ming the Merciless or Fu Manchu look. There's an elastic strap that pulls the front of the cap around Kane's face. I took it off so that I could test the HS. Once I replace it the cap will fit better in the face. The movie caps were smallish fitting for Kane and especially Dallas. Lambert was a totally different matter. Her's was super baggy and looked like she was wearing diapers on her head.

Some assistance! It seems that the side curvature (distribution of puffiness) of the lower lid is out. Too much light falling on the lash area...should be a thin ridge of flesh, getting fatter as you go downwards, with sag.

I'd say there should be no highlight showing on the lid edge--the lashes should break it up.

Some assistance! It seems that the side curvature (distribution of puffiness) of the lower lid is out. Too much light falling on the lash area...should be a thin ridge of flesh, getting fatter as you go downwards, with sag.

I'd say there should be no highlight showing on the lid edge--the lashes should break it up.

I actually watched the blu-ray on my 65 inch plasma and freeze-framed on a few shots of Hurt from the side. The curvature of the bags of his eyes actually doesn't sag. It tapers towards the bottom, increases towards the lash area - then tapers towards the eyes. That's how it is in the HS - it's just the light catches it. But the lights actually catch Hurt the same way in the movie. Especially shots at a distance - like the shot of him crouching over the egg. The light from the helmet catches that top edge.

Here's a couple pics of Hurt. Notice how there's the bags of the eyes, then on top of the bags of the eyes - there's a second protrusion that encompasses the eyes. Also note that the HS in this picture is two versions back.
kane_head_comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Back