Universal should reboot THE MUMMY...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. Followed buy ever more jokes right after. :lol
It was pretty funny tho. I just wish the movie was either funny or melodrama/horror. They were tryin' to do the 1999 thing and failed.

The changes in tone were definitely jarring. One minute a baby is getting murdered, and the next minute they're joking about how long Tom Cruise can last in bed... for like five whole minutes straight. :lol

I really liked the material they were dealing with in the movie (Mummy, Crowe, Monster Club, etc), but I really wanted them to focus on it more.

I liked it. Not sure why its getting as torn up as it is. Its not a perfect film by any means, but its exactly what the trailers advertised it to be. I do feel this film set up the Dark Universe more than anything. And the Dark Universe looks promising, even if this 'first' film wasn't Iron Man good. It was better than the Frasier Mummies anyway.

I think with this struggling, they'd be wise to throw Dracula Untold back into the canon and be that much further along with the culmination of the monsters. I guess it all depends on what their vision of Dracula is in this universe. If they keep Dracula Untold, he's kinda be a good guy and join Jekyll's gang and they would be facing Tywin as the main villain of the franchise. If they keep it out, he could be a BIG bad monster that could assemble the Monsters together.

This film made it clear that they are going to have to have some monsters on their side, so I'd think Frankenstein would be on the good side rather than the bad. I could see the Invisible Man playing both sides. Wolfman would probably be similar to Dr. Jekyll with fighting inner demons, but being on the good side while at least being Talbot. Got to imagine Creature is bad as would the Phantom. Again, Dracula could easily go either way. I'd love to see the Bride of Frankenstein on the bad side to give Frankenstein some personal stake in the fight. Maybe even throw Dr. Frankenstein in there for good measure. There is a LOT of potential here IMO and I'd hate to see this new universe die before it even gets a chance to grow. The Mummy certainly isn't the biggest name monster they could have started with and they shouldn't let the whole universe lie in the hands of this one film.

It's an awesome plus, plus movie. Personally, Mr. Green feel that this is better than the original movie(1999). The B&W just isn't comparable anyway. The humor isn't too strong, which is good. Only problem is that they released it too close to WW.

I liked it. Not sure why its getting as torn up as it is. Its not a perfect film by any means, but its exactly what the trailers advertised it to be. I do feel this film set up the Dark Universe more than anything. And the Dark Universe looks promising, even if this 'first' film wasn't Iron Man good. It was better than the Frasier Mummies anyway.

I think with this struggling, they'd be wise to throw Dracula Untold back into the canon and be that much further along with the culmination of the monsters. I guess it all depends on what their vision of Dracula is in this universe. If they keep Dracula Untold, he's kinda be a good guy and join Jekyll's gang and they would be facing Tywin as the main villain of the franchise. If they keep it out, he could be a BIG bad monster that could assemble the Monsters together.

This film made it clear that they are going to have to have some monsters on their side, so I'd think Frankenstein would be on the good side rather than the bad. I could see the Invisible Man playing both sides. Wolfman would probably be similar to Dr. Jekyll with fighting inner demons, but being on the good side while at least being Talbot. Got to imagine Creature is bad as would the Phantom. Again, Dracula could easily go either way. I'd love to see the Bride of Frankenstein on the bad side to give Frankenstein some personal stake in the fight. Maybe even throw Dr. Frankenstein in there for good measure. There is a LOT of potential here IMO and I'd hate to see this new universe die before it even gets a chance to grow. The Mummy certainly isn't the biggest name monster they could have started with and they shouldn't let the whole universe lie in the hands of this one film.

Well, I love Frasier Mummy 1 and 2 is all right - IMO #3 is terrible. They were cheeky fun with an IMO great cast - a romp - some great design as well - I happily watch them and own 1 and 2.

Wasn't happy at the idea of a re-boot and w. Tom Cruise yet. (TC is talented but am still PO'd about the hubris of playing Jack Reacher e.g. character repeatedly described in the books as a "mountain of a guy" and IMO TC - who owned the rights - could have made a stellar job of those films by searching out the right actor and introducing some new icon - but noooooooo, TC had to put himself front and center. Wasn't the IM success enough?)

Fast-forward to the Mummy - well, OK, a reboot, but I thought re this release it'd be true horror for the most part. E.g., a different treatment than the Fraser Mummy. Then I read/hear it's pretty uneven; the contrast of humor/horror isn't working here (tho it does for a lot of films) and most of all it doesn't even fall into the guilty pleasure category. That it's just bad, pretty much. So altogether for me that puts it into the "catch on cable" file. I'll watch it, but not gonna make the effort to get to a theater for it. Like I was glad I didn't see Dracula Untold in a theater because IMO it wouldn't have been worth it, tho it isn't the worst film I ever saw.

I saw the movie and enjoyed it . It was basicallly what I expected it to be with a little added humor . The Darl Universe looks promising

The Dark Universe sounds so lame. I don't want to see monsters teaming up. I'm surprised this movie did so well domestically.

Saw it over the weekend. I'm not sure if they knew what kind of a movie they were making -- a comedy, adventure, or horror. The narrative was all over the place. The editing was disjointed. The pacing was uneven. The jump scares either showed up in the trailers or were telegraphed from a mile away. Russell Crowe does not make a good Dr. Jekyll (who was supposed to be nebbishy, withdrawn and repressed, which is why he became addicted to the Hyde persona). The female lead was generic and could have been played by 100 different actresses. I absolutely hated the sidekick/comic relief character who a complete ripoff of the Jack character from American Werewolf in London. But the biggest problem was Tom Cruise. He was woefully miscast as the scoundrel/soldier/fortune hunter/womanizer with a conscience. The only thing Cruise brought to the role was his name. I'm sure Universal felt they needed him to get it made, and he probably wants to be part of something akin to the MCU, but this just didn't work for me.

On the positive side, the movie was watchable and moved along. The gender change for the mummy worked and Sophia Boutella is gorgeous and drop dead sexy. The idea of a Dark Universe is good, but Universal needs to execute. I'd give it a 6/10. Not terrible, but not great, just somewhere safely in the middle.

they just couldn't get the humor to click at all in this.Not like the 1999 Brendan Fraser Mummy.And Patricia Velasquez was way hotter than Sofia Boutella.And Arnold Vosloo was a far better Mummy.Effects were nothing special at all.Too bad.

Get the guys behind Superbad to make it lol

Why does it have to be a comedy?

That was one of the problems I think people had with the recent Baywatch and Chips movies, they were made into comedies when the shows themselves were not.

Abbott and Costello worked, but Universal should make these straight up horror movies with some adventure in them. Then again beyond the house of horrors the originals gave us, not sure what a modern monster team-up of these characters is supposed to do. Are these monsters supposed to fight against the humans or against some other force?

Why does it have to be a comedy?

That was one of the problems I think people had with the recent Baywatch and Chips movies, they were made into comedies when the shows themselves were not.

Abbott and Costello worked, but Universal should make these straight up horror movies with some adventure in them. Then again beyond the house of horrors the originals gave us, not sure what a modern monster team-up of these characters is supposed to do. Are these monsters supposed to fight against the humans or against some other force?

you are quoting a reply......... i never said I wanted a comedy, i was sarcastically saying IF IT would be acomedy get the superbad guys.
I think you meant to quote chewblacca

Back