Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, Also, I liked DEAD SNOW, just as you did.

Did you see BOOK OF BLOOD? I read mixed things about it, but was curious, since it was a follow-up of sorts to MMT.

This I didnt know, I heard about it, but didnt really look into it. Now knowing that I will look into it.

* I just added it to my netflix

Last edited:
See again thats my problem with the August series...to me there $5 budget and camcorder footage just doesnt do it for me let alone there "special FX". I feel like it has no context so it doesnt do much for me.

To me, the "camcorder look" can really go a long way toward making a film look more like a document of what some people are doing than a movie.

Below is a trailer for August Underground. Obviously they have played with the audio/slow-mo for the trailer and they have upped the contrast/went black and white for the nudity part, but just this little bit really does make me feel like I'm watching real psychos videotape each other humiliating and slaughtering people. Dunno, just really find it disturbing. :sick What I'm trying to say, is that it feels more real to me than I think it would if they would have had a bigger budget. With a big budget, it makes it easier to distance yourself from the violence because you can tell "it's just a movie." That's why movies like Saw really don't disturb me. But if real psychopaths were just documenting their sadism, this is what it would look like imo:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/sJkMfm5eaSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/sJkMfm5eaSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I realize that "sickest/most violent" is kind of off topic for this thread, but we've discussed most of the movies in this list/clip:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/HK2inuuR6qs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/HK2inuuR6qs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

To me, the "camcorder look" can really go a long way toward making a film look more like a document of what some people are doing than a movie.

Below is a trailer for August Underground. Obviously they have played with the audio/slow-mo for the trailer and they have upped the contrast/went black and white for the nudity part, but just this little bit really does make me feel like I'm watching real psychos videotape each other humiliating and slaughtering people. Dunno, just really find it disturbing. :sick What I'm trying to say, is that it feels more real to me than I think it would if they would have had a bigger budget. With a big budget, it makes it easier to distance yourself from the violence because you can tell "it's just a movie." That's why movies like Saw really don't disturb me. But if real psychopaths were just documenting their sadism, this is what it would look like imo:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/sJkMfm5eaSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/sJkMfm5eaSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I realize that "sickest/most violent" is kind of off topic for this thread, but we've discussed most of the movies in this list/clip:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/HK2inuuR6qs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/HK2inuuR6qs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Add tasteless to all that garbage and it's perfectly accurate. :lol

Again I'll ask. What does this type of trash have to do with the topic? :dunno

Not really a follow-up. It was another short story from Barker's Books of Blood, as is Dread and the aforementioned Rawhead Rex.

Wasn't it part of the Lionsgate/Barker "yearly adaptation" plan that was prematurely aborted? Yes, I do believe it was. That's what I meant by "follow-up of sorts."

see I look at the camcorder shakey cam like a gimmick, so for me it doesnt work. While yes I guess it does kinda give it that "real" look again I see it as a gimmick and the only thing disturbing about it to me is the fact that it looks like some 12 yr olds filmed it and called it a movie. I just dont care for that stuff.

Wasn't it part of the Lionsgate/Barker "yearly adaptation" plan that was prematurely aborted? Yes, I do believe it was. That's what I meant by "follow-up of sorts."

My apologies. It sounded like you were inferring it was a sequel. Though it has more relativity to Dread than Midnight Meat Train. He still has some other Books of Blood in development so I'm wondering if it was aborted or just shifted production companies.

My apologies. It sounded like you were inferring it was a sequel. Though it has more relativity to Dread than Midnight Meat Train. He still has some other Books of Blood in development so I'm wondering if it was aborted or just shifted production companies.

Probably a shift in production/distribution, as Barker was furious when the new regime at Lionsgate dumped MMT into $2 theaters. The original plan was to get "name" directors to come in and helm an adaptation and then have a theatrical release at a rate of one per year. Ryuhei Kitamura was hand-picked by Barker as a way of starting things off with a bang.

Not to dump on Frank Miller (who I consider to be a god among comic creators,) but Lionsgate would have done better BO releasing MMT wide, while dumping THE SPIRIT into $2 theaters.

Probably a shift in production/distribution, as Barker was furious when the new regime at Lionsgate dumped MMT into $2 theaters. The original plan was to get "name" directors to come in and helm an adaptation and then have a theatrical release at a rate of one per year. Ryuhei Kitamura was hand-picked by Barker as a way of starting things off with a bang.

It's really a shame. It seems like most of his stories are mishandled in one fashion or another. :( I'd add Nightbreed to the Underrated list too. First time in a loooooooong time, the audience actually feels sympathy for the "monsters."

Not to dump on Frank Miller (who I consider to be a god among comic creators,) but Lionsgate would have done better BO releasing MMT wide, while dumping THE SPIRIT into $2 theaters.

:lecture:rotfl:lecture:rotfl:lecture Spirit should be a skidmark on Miller's resume.

Gotta say g'night, as I'm going to settle in and watch HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB, a Nachy film that Rue Morgue magazine says is the pinnacle of his work. We'll see, as I'm still unimpressed with Senor Nachy based on the nonsense I've viewed thus far from him.

Was never really scared by Meyers. :dunno

The only two movies to have freaked me out in the past 20 years have been The Grudge (that bastard little kid! :lol) and The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Other than that, it's just all the same stuff to me.

You cant tell people to "cowboy up" if you're scared of The Grudge. :rotfl ;) kiddin.

What a terrible movie. Hilarious though.

Last edited:
i just finished let the right one in. :clap:clap
damn, it was cute. dark romantics.:pray:

i did not get why
Spoiler Spoiler:
:dunno

somehow makes me want to read the novel if its available, looks like eli got an interesting back story which didnt make it on screen.

i just finished let the right one in. :clap:clap
damn, it was cute. dark romantics.:pray:

i did not get why
Spoiler Spoiler:
:dunno

somehow makes me want to read the novel if its available, looks like eli got an interesting back story which didnt make it on screen.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

oh...
Spoiler Spoiler:

Midnight Meat Train was a nice surprise for me. It kept me intrugued with what Mahogany was all about and I thought the ending was classic Barker.

Ichi was strange and a bit graphic, but in an "over the top" kinda way. High pressure showers of blood coming out of a neck kinda thing... I was way more appreciative of the sadist/masochist relationships that made it all come together.

felt pervy pausing that scene.:pray:
so that's what it was then.

insert joker's do you know how i got this scar? here.:thud:

Back