Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, it was that damn little kid. He reminded me of all the burned corpses from a past life (not literally, occupationally). :(

i like the original asian versions of the grudge and the ring. sadako gave me the creeps with the TV like the poltergeist effect back then.:lol

i like the original asian versions of the grudge and the ring. sadako gave me the creeps with the TV like the poltergeist effect back then.:lol

Yeah, Ju-On or something like that. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it until well after The Grudge, but yeah, much better.

Foe, are there any movies that many people say is disturbing that you actually think are disturbing?

Foe, are there any movies that many people say is disturbing that you actually think are disturbing?

hmm, yeah I think Aftermath, Nekromantic and I'll even throw Flowers of Flesh and blood in there. Ive seen them all and just when I watched them the first time I couldnt beleive what I was seeing. Its one of those though that is relative ya know, it just depends on what you think is disturbing. Same thing with Men Behind the Sun, Ive never seen that, but from what Ive read and heard about it, I just have no desire to watch the Japanese do tests on the Chinese when Japan invaded...that might be all hype as well, but again I have no desire to really see it.

...and while I havent seen Human Centipede, that movie doesnt really do much for me. I do want to see it, but from what I seen
from the trailer it looks ok. I'll have other thoughts once I see it.

So you would actually say that Flower of Flesh and Blood was more disturbing than August Underground's Mordum? Or did you not see that one? (It's the second in the series... and as I've said, from what I've read it is unthinkably brutal.)

I actually liked the first 'Saw' movie. But that one switched between storylines and characters and wasn't just an hour and a half of 2 men in a room with a 'dead' body. Plus the film is so over the top that I didn't find the subject matter disturbing at all. I guess it's films that have a more realistic approach to torture is when I tune out.

I've seen Saw II and III as well. Both were very meh compared to the first one. Rehash, rehash and rehash are all the words that come to mind when I saw them. New 'games' that are interesting enough but ultimately Jigsaw and his 'Legacy' just weren't interesting once the film series continued. That all said, I'm sure I'll watch the rest in the series...someday.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I felt this way with Hostel, I never wanted to see it to begin with, but the curiosity was killing me, but I wouldnt be suprised if a place like that exists. If the material can be thought up in a movie, its prolly happened; thats how sick ppl can be, and thats why I stay away from most of em.

I'm watching Jeepers Creepers right now, have to say I forgot how much I enjoyed both, the first was better, but still enjoyed the 2nd.

So you would actually say that Flower of Flesh and Blood was more disturbing than August Underground's Mordum? Or did you not see that one? (It's the second in the series... and as I've said, from what I've read it is unthinkably brutal.)

Yes, because that August Underground series looks like its filmed by teenagers on a $5 budget and to me that "kills" any kind of atmosphere or mood that the film is supposed to set. I thought it was just so stupid and way way way over hyped. If shakey cam and blurry close ups are supposed to be disturbing then have at it, but I just got nothing from it...same with that Vomit Dolls crap.

So, subject matter wasn't a big factor then.

I mean... god the description of the things they do (in the 2nd movie mind you) are just so hard to even read about.

If the effects are even marginally believable then I can't imagine it not being disturbing.

See again thats my problem with the August series...to me there $5 budget and camcorder footage just doesnt do it for me let alone there "special FX". I feel like it has no context so it doesnt do much for me.

:lecture:lecture:lecture One of my purchasing blunders. Saw the anime and thought the movie would be better... it wasn't. :(

I agree man, it was one of those things where when I heard about it I was like wow I gotta see this, then I finally seen it and actually bought it...needless to say I sold that movie a while ago and havent looked back.

I saw Ichi during it's original release, before the hype started rolling, and I found it disturbing and not particularly entertaining. I've never felt the need to see it again. Miike is an acquired taste that I haven't really acquired.

Back to the topic of underrated horrors, have any of you guys seen THE MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN? I thought that was pretty decent, and didn't get much attention.

I saw Ichi during it's original release, before the hype started rolling, and I found it disturbing and not particularly entertaining. I've never felt the need to see it again. Miike is an acquired taste that I haven't really acquired.

Back to the topic of underrated horrors, have any of you guys seen THE MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN? I thought that was pretty decent, and didn't get much attention.

I found it quite the opposite hype-wise. It was the hype that made me see it. Initially after reading the short story a long time ago (another of Clive's Books of Blood), I didn't have any high hopes but was pleasantly surprised by it.

Cool, Also, I liked DEAD SNOW, just as you did.

Did you see BOOK OF BLOOD? I read mixed things about it, but was curious, since it was a follow-up of sorts to MMT.

Back