Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he could have worked as the Terminator, next thing you know, I'm spending my nights sleeping next to his Sideshow doll, rehearsing my display of undying love that I will recite to him right before the romantic murder/suicide :lol

Glad to see the therapy's working! :rock:rock:rock

:p Seriously, if you can get ahold of it, it's a good movie. Do they maybe have it listed under House III?

This is a good post. And there is a lot to reply to. But I gotta leave for work now...

Will report back later. :)

Decided to let the topic be. It was a fun discussion and we all made our points well in the end. :duff

Has anyone seen anything in the August Underground series?

Decided to let the topic be. It was a fun discussion and we all made our points well in the end. :duff

I haven't seen any of them but I hear interesting things. In the end I assume they are just shock value movies with little to no actual story or value to them but I would like to see them anyway.

...here we go again, now to me this makes begotten look like an oscar award winning film. Again I had some friends that knew I was into horror and they were freaking out on this August Underground -Vomit Doll crap...so I watched one not sure which one...hell Im not even sure what I watched. It looked like a bunch of dumb ass kids with a camcorder trying to make some "shocking, distrubing" imagery. I just didnt get it and to me that is total garbage and nothing more. It didnt have a story it was just lets get some shock value and failed in almost every aspect of a film in my opinion.

Out of curiosity horror fans will try and get a copy, but beleive me total waste of time.

Remember when Dr. Butcher (Cannibal Holocaust) was the unobtainable holy grail of your VHS horror collection? :lol

Ugh Cannibal Holocaust. Le snooze fest. I can appreciate it, but man *snore*

Same goes for 'Begotten'. A film I can appreciate for what it presented but I was bored out of my mind.

Same goes for 'Begotten'. A film I can appreciate for what it presented but I was bored out of my mind.

See, I often wonder if the Dr. Butcher underground hype was created because the MPAA had banned the flick in the U.S. and if you couldn't locate one at Weekend of Horrors you were screwed, or if some people really did enjoy it and had the ears of many. I remember after years of hunting, finally scoring it for $80 at a local hole-in-the-wall video store that had more adult movies than standard movies, getting it home, watching it and thinking WTF?! :lol

VHS? How about finally getting A CAT IN THE BRAIN on Laserdisc?

Never bought into Laserdisc. Always thought that was like Beta and would go the way of the dodo. :lol

Last edited:
...here we go again, now to me this makes begotten look like an oscar award winning film. Again I had some friends that knew I was into horror and they were freaking out on this August Underground -Vomit Doll crap...so I watched one not sure which one...hell Im not even sure what I watched. It looked like a bunch of dumb ass kids with a camcorder trying to make some "shocking, distrubing" imagery. I just didnt get it and to me that is total garbage and nothing more. It didnt have a story it was just lets get some shock value and failed in almost every aspect of a film in my opinion.

Out of curiosity horror fans will try and get a copy, but beleive me total waste of time.

Interesting that you mention 'Vomit Dolls.'

Believe me, I have on intention of seeing either.

What follows is an entry I made recently in the Gore Lovers Social Group:

There are a couple sick movies I have heard of that I am unwilling to watch, because they are too much even for me:

1) Slaughtered Vomit Dolls and even more so the sequel:
2) ReGOREgitated Sacrifice (these are real titles... the director is an actual Satan worshiper...) From what I have read and seen (pics/clips) this movie contains... you know what, I am going to spare you even a description... Just don't see it... and if you value your sanity don't research it.

3) August Underground and even more so the sequel:
4) August Underground's Mordum. Just reading a detailed description of this movie made me feel physically sick and kept me up one night. Among many unthinkable things, it depicts infanticide. I actually researched this and ReGOREgitated Sacrifice on the same night... it seriously messed me up. :sick
5) Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom "Although it remains a controversial film to this day, it has been praised by various film historians and critics, and while not typically considered a horror film, Salò was named the 65th scariest film ever made by the Chicago Film Critics Association in 2006." - Wikipedia

No desire to see kids treated like this...

Guess it's a good sign that I have my limits here. :lol

End of entry.

From what I've read, August Underground's Mordum and ReGOREgitated Sacrifice fall into this category:

Just as we are able to praise the art that we enjoy, we each have a right to criticize that which we dislike or even find reprehensible. Some Nazi propaganda artwork is very beautiful and effective at stirring emotions from a purely visceral standpoint, but is still garbage because of what it stands for.
There is no reason to depict things like wound sex, infanticide, and drinking other peoples vomit.

From the few clips I have seen, the August Underground is indeed meant to look like a group of young people with a camcorder. But because the acting is improvised, it really seems like you are watching serial killers do unthinkable things in an effort to show off for one another. Also, the effects look unsettlingly good. Some say that Jerami Cruise will be a leader in practical special effects. These effects are made even more believable by the fact that you see them through a hand-held camera that is meant to seem like a camcorder.

I am not praising this movie, and I think these guys should move there talents in a more productive direction, but for the real ghouls that are looking for the sickest thing... this and the 'Vomit Dolls' series might be it. :sick

Interesting that you mention 'Vomit Dolls.'

Believe me, I have on intention of seeing either.

What follows is an entry I made recently in the Gore Lovers Social Group:

There are a couple sick movies I have heard of that I am unwilling to watch, because they are too much even for me:

1) Slaughtered Vomit Dolls and even more so the sequel:
2) ReGOREgitated Sacrifice (these are real titles... the director is an actual Satan worshiper...) From what I have read and seen (pics/clips) this movie contains... you know what, I am going to spare you even a description... Just don't see it... and if you value your sanity don't research it.

3) August Underground and even more so the sequel:
4) August Underground's Mordum. Just reading a detailed description of this movie made me feel physically sick and kept me up one night. Among many unthinkable things, it depicts infanticide. I actually researched this and ReGOREgitated Sacrifice on the same night... it seriously messed me up. :sick
5) Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom "Although it remains a controversial film to this day, it has been praised by various film historians and critics, and while not typically considered a horror film, Salò was named the 65th scariest film ever made by the Chicago Film Critics Association in 2006." - Wikipedia

No desire to see kids treated like this...

Guess it's a good sign that I have my limits here. :lol

End of entry.

From what I've read, August Underground's Mordum and ReGOREgitated Sacrifice fall into this category:

There is no reason to depict things like wound sex, infanticide, and drinking other peoples vomit.

From the few clips I have seen, the August Underground is indeed meant to look like a group of young people with a camcorder. But because the acting is improvised, it really seems like you are watching serial killers do unthinkable things in an effort to show off for one another. Also, the effects look unsettlingly good. Some say that Jerami Cruise will be a leader in practical special effects. These effects are made even more believable by the fact that you see them through a hand-held camera that is meant to seem like a camcorder.

I am not praising this movie, and I think these guys should move there talents in a more productive direction, but for the real ghouls that are looking for the sickest thing... this and the 'Vomit Dolls' series might be it. :sick

I don't see how that's any different than the lame message of Begotten's intro? "God" disembowels himself and ejaculates all over his feet as he dies, mother earth, aroused by the death (which is why she squeezed her tits) takes his semen and impregnates herself....

YOU DEFENDED THAT! :lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl

You can lump that turd right in with those other movies you don't want to see adding "tasteless religious exploitation" to the list of categories you posted. I might not believe in any of the religions he "depicted" but I didn't find it any more tasteless than someone who does.

I agree. The film was pretty sleepy considering the hype. What bothered me the most was the actual killing of animals and the gratuitous rape scene. (I guess when I think about it the rape wasn't totally gratuitous because it did convey how abusive and amoral these people were; and thus how much they deserved their demise... but I just don't like to see rape.)

The movie did have some redeeming value. It was an interesting social commentary about how we are the real savages. And the effects in a couple scenes were memorable. I was very impressed with the impalement scene [the actress was actually sitting on a bicycle seat for that]. And at the end when everyone gets their comeuppance, there is a shot at a distance of the natives pulling the viscera out of a ribcage. Thought that was cool. But, for me it was a one time watch, just to see what all the fuss was about.

Also... you gotta love this song:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/6wqrA9IMnUM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/6wqrA9IMnUM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:lol :lol :lol

I don't see how that's any different than the lame message of Begotten's intro? "God" disembowels himself and ejaculates all over his feet as he dies, mother earth, aroused by the death (which is why she squeezed her tits) takes his semen and impregnates herself....

YOU DEFENDED THAT! :lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl

You can lump that turd right in with those other movies you don't want to see adding "tasteless religious exploitation" to the list of categories you posted. I might not believe in any of the religions he "depicted" but I didn't find it any more tasteless than someone who does.

I though we were past this. :ohbfrank: Why do you gotta make a trolling post like this???

I am not going to expend the effort it would take to explain how August Underground and Begotten are completely different, because 1) it is self evident and 2) you will just do this: :lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl

I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE HAVE SUCH A HIGH OPINION OF THEIR OWN OPINION THAT THEY TREAT IT AS FACT!

Can't you see how this must come across to others?

Are you happy? You cast the lure and you went trolling and you got me to shout. :(

It's not that I have a high opinion of my own opinion. I rarely take myself seriously. ;) And one could argue that since you called me out about that ____ty intro you posted, I'm only returning the favor. But that's reading more into it than necessary. I simply found your ranting post of distasteful horror movies completely ironic as you're hypocritically labeling trash as art and then condemning similar trash done in the same vein as unwatchable rubbish. Based on that, it's not trolling, but responding to a consistent inconsistency regarding two posts you made here in this thread.

Same here, heard so much about Cannibal Holocaust...then when i finally seen it i rememeber just fast fowarding thru most of it, same with all the films in teh cannibal genre.

Also I do remember watching Salo 120 days of sodom. Again thought that was a piece of garbage as well, more hype than anything.

Yeah that was it, vomit dolls and August underground mordum or whatever...again dont waste your time.

The Brood is greatly disturbing, and I think it is as much horror as anything else. Another Cronenberg classic :rock

I always thought then, and still do now that Cronenberg was on another level in regards to the "masters of horror" out there (Even John Carpenter said the exact same thing). I own Cronenberg stuff but I need to be in the right mood to watch his flicks. There's no such thing as a casual viewing of a Cronenberg film IMO.

I always thought then, and still do now that Cronenberg was on another level in regards to the "masters of horror" out there (Even John Carpenter said the exact same thing). I own Cronenberg stuff but I need to be in the right mood to watch his flicks. There's no such thing as a casual viewing of a Cronenberg film IMO.

There've been a few good gems in his work though. Dead Zone, Scanners, The Fly (Goldbloom), History of Violence and Eastern Promises were relatively easy to sit through.

I simply found your ranting post of distasteful horror movies completely ironic as you're hypocritically labeling trash as art and then condemning similar trash done in the same vein as unwatchable rubbish. Based on that, it's not trolling, but responding to a consistent inconsistency regarding two posts you made here in this thread.

I understand what you think you are doing but there is no irony here. I am not being inconsistent, and the movies are not comparable.

As I said, the difference is self evident.

I honestly think you are just trying to be difficult. And you have turned an interesting discussion into a frustrating debate.

I love the Fly with Jeff Goldbloom, great stuff, especially with the vomiting scenes, lol great stuff.

Didnt read through the whole thread and Im sure these were mentioned but

Salems Lot...the original with Hutch from Starsky and Hutch was an incredible horror movie.

Last man on Earth with Vincent Price. This did the book "I am Legend" justice unlike the I am Legend movie that came out a few years ago. Plus this movie heavily influenced the greatest Horror Movie of all time Night of the Living Dead. If youre a NOTLD fan you wont be disappointed and will clearly see the influnce this movie had on NOTLD.

The original Assault on Precinct 13 ....I know its not technically a horror movie but this was a very dark movie and for me it had that NOTLD vibe with the silent attack on the police station. John Carpenter is the man.

i was listening to my soundtrack play list shuffled and happen to play the lord of illusions theme. i could say it was an underrated movie.:pray:

i remember this movie, i really loved it. plus the soundtrack was kinda awesome.

Back