Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the Descent, while not totally scary it had a great atmosphere. I actually just got Descent 2 in the mail yesterday from Netflix...we'll see how it is tonight.

I see a lot of classic/critically acclaimed movies in this thread. How are we defining underrated?

Interesting that you mention 'Vomit Dolls.'

Believe me, I have on intention of seeing either.

What follows is an entry I made recently in the Gore Lovers Social Group:

There are a couple sick movies I have heard of that I am unwilling to watch, because they are too much even for me:

1) Slaughtered Vomit Dolls and even more so the sequel:
2) ReGOREgitated Sacrifice (these are real titles... the director is an actual Satan worshiper...) From what I have read and seen (pics/clips) this movie contains... you know what, I am going to spare you even a description... Just don't see it... and if you value your sanity don't research it.

3) August Underground and even more so the sequel:
4) August Underground's Mordum. Just reading a detailed description of this movie made me feel physically sick and kept me up one night. Among many unthinkable things, it depicts infanticide. I actually researched this and ReGOREgitated Sacrifice on the same night... it seriously messed me up. :sick
5) Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom "Although it remains a controversial film to this day, it has been praised by various film historians and critics, and while not typically considered a horror film, Salò was named the 65th scariest film ever made by the Chicago Film Critics Association in 2006." - Wikipedia

No desire to see kids treated like this...

Guess it's a good sign that I have my limits here. :lol

End of entry.

From what I've read, August Underground's Mordum and ReGOREgitated Sacrifice fall into this category:

There is no reason to depict things like wound sex, infanticide, and drinking other peoples vomit.

From the few clips I have seen, the August Underground is indeed meant to look like a group of young people with a camcorder. But because the acting is improvised, it really seems like you are watching serial killers do unthinkable things in an effort to show off for one another. Also, the effects look unsettlingly good. Some say that Jerami Cruise will be a leader in practical special effects. These effects are made even more believable by the fact that you see them through a hand-held camera that is meant to seem like a camcorder.

I am not praising this movie, and I think these guys should move there talents in a more productive direction, but for the real ghouls that are looking for the sickest thing... this and the 'Vomit Dolls' series might be it. :sick

Salo really has no reason to be in that category. Not saying it is good or bad but it is no where near as gory or messed up as those other movies. That movie isn't scary at all it is just weird. The only really disturbing scene is probably the poo eating scene.

Now the book Salo.....now THAT is ____ED up.

Salo really has no reason to be in that category. Not saying it is good or bad but it is no where near as gory or messed up as those other movies. That movie isn't scary at all it is just weird. The only really disturbing scene is probably the poo eating scene.

Now the book Salo.....now THAT is ____ED up.

Which is likely the only reason why you own it. :pfft:

What about High Tension (haute Tension), I really liked that movie and had some great death scenes, yet no one talks about it...I know people didnt care for the ending but overall I thought it was great. Totally overlooked.

Also on the French tip what about Martrys...totally overhyped in my opinion. I remember I heard so much about it then finally seen it and was just mediocre at best.

What about High Tension (haute Tension), I really liked that movie and had some great death scenes, yet no one talks about it...I know people didnt care for the ending but overall I thought it was great. Totally overlooked.

Also on the French tip what about Martrys...totally overhyped in my opinion. I remember I heard so much about it then finally seen it and was just mediocre at best.

Really? I really enjoyed Martrys. It was something different.

I liked the premise of 'High Tension' but when the movie finished I thought to myself that this film must have looked much better in the written word. It just didn't jive well enough in a visual medium (too many instances of 'well, that's stretching it a bit'). Yes, yes, I know it's a movie where all kinds of concepts are being stretched left and right (as is the case with much of the horror movie genre), but when a lover of horror movies (like myself) is left scratching their head over the ultimate payoff then the film just wasn't as successful as it could of been. IMO of course.

Really? I really enjoyed Martrys. It was something different.
It was different just not what I expected. When I heard all the rants about it, the people that described it to me said it was going to make Inside look like nothing compared to Martrys...Inside was a way better movie IMO.
I liked the premise of 'High Tension' but when the movie finished I thought to myself that this film must have looked much better in the written word. It just didn't jive well enough in a visual medium (too many instances of 'well, that's stretching it a bit'). Yes, yes, I know it's a movie where all kinds of concepts are being stretched left and right (as is the case with much of the horror movie genre), but when a lover of horror movies (like myself) is left scratching their head over the ultimate payoff then the film just wasn't as successful as it could of been. IMO of course.

See I do agree with you on the ending and seeing how I didnt feel it worked that well either, but I was forgiving because I really enjoyed the movie so I wasnt going to let the ending spoil the whole movie for me.

It was different just not what I expected. When I heard all the rants about it, the people that described it to me said it was going to make Inside look like nothing compared to Martrys...Inside is still the best French slasher IMO.

Not sure I consider it a slasher per say BUT I do agree that Inside is one of the best new French horror films.

yeah Something Sexy, I just edited it out because Im not sure if I would throw it in the Slasher genre either, but at the same time it portrays itself as a slasher some what...maybe a home invasion type.

For an older movie I've always enjoyed Near Dark. Great take on vampires with a lot of genre veterans.

My favorite based off of Stephen king's work: Pet Semetary. Something about the sis always creeps the hell out of me, especially when she comes running across the room.

More recently I've really liked Trick r' Treat, Slither and Let The Right One In.

The two projects I can't wait for" The Walking Dead on AMC (I know it's not a movie, but can't help hyping this up wherever I can) and the rumored movie version of World War Z. If that comes anywhere close to the book, I'll be very happy. Tough thinking of it as a 2 hour movie. So much in there I'd think it would work better as a mini-series.

Back