Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Near Dark is a good one, I have that yet, totally forgot about it. I really like Let the Right One In also, thought it was really good.
Not so sure how the remake on this one will be.

I like Trick r' Treat, and Slither as well. I really like slither, I got a thing for mutant creatures, it really reminded me of the Deadly spawn from back in the day if anyone remembers that one.

Black Sheep.

Black-Sheep-movie-poster.jpg

Frickin awesome movie.

Yeah Near Dark is a good one, I have that yet, totally forgot about it. I really like Let the Right One In also, thought it was really good.
Not so sure how the remake on this one will be.

Yeah. I'm hoping they don't screw this up. On the plus side though is Hit Girl (Chloe Grace Moretz) from Kick-Ass is playing the Eli character. I thought she did a good job in KA, so hopefully she keep up the good work.

Since were on the Scandenavian scene, ever seen Cold Prey...really good slasher film from Norway. Its definetly underated if people have even heard of it...aka Frit Vilt

There is absolutely no need to remake LTROI, it is absolutely perfect as is. And I watch my dubbed bluray version and enjoy it, no need to read subtitles.

I agree about Let the Right One In. Great movie, one of my favorites. Leave it alone.

Martyrs had a very deep and scary storyline, but I didn't like some of the ways it was delivered. I think they should have focused less on the repetition they used to show constant torment and focused more on showing the viewer the grand scheme of things that the secret group was trying to accomplish.

The ending jsut left me hanging on the edge of my seat. What did she say!!!!

I agree about Let the Right One In. Great movie, one of my favorites. Leave it alone.

Martyrs had a very deep and scary storyline, but I didn't like some of the ways it was delivered. I think they should have focused less on the repetition they used to show constant torment and focused more on showing the viewer the grand scheme of things that the secret group was trying to accomplish.

The ending jsut left me hanging on the edge of my seat. What did she say!!!!

Yeah I remember at the end also, I was like thats it...wtf

how about park chan wook's "thirst." that film was all sorts of fun. i love the ending too

Anyone seen "A l'interieur (Inside)"? I have not seen it myself, but have been hearing good things about it.

Dog Soldiers was a big surprise for me a few years ago. I hadn't heard a thing about it and took a chance. It is a well done modern horror flick IMO. It also has a bit of an "outsmarted" twist to it.

The Descent, Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon

Yes
Absolutely yes!
and yes.

Have you ever watched the flash scenes in Event Horizon in slow motion. There's some messed up ____ in there! :rock

Salo really has no reason to be in that category. Not saying it is good or bad but it is no where near as gory or messed up as those other movies. That movie isn't scary at all it is just weird. The only really disturbing scene is probably the poo eating scene.

I agree. They aren't really even in the same genre.

The reason I included it was that, for a while I was doing all kinds of research to find the sickest stuff out there and I only came up with 5 movies that I was unwilling to see (baring a few clips) and Salo was one of them. I can't tolerate depictions of pederasty or pedophilia. And coprophilia is disgusting enough, but when it's forced upon I child I just can't watch.

The reason I have put off watching Precious (which is not on my wont watch list) is I don't know if I can handle the child abuse.

There is one other movie that I could add to my list of "5 I wont watch", but I cant remember the name. The basic premise is a man is left to his own devices in an autopsy room. In addition to extreme gore, it depicts necrophilia. Anyone know which one I mean?

Last edited:
What about High Tension (haute Tension), I really liked that movie and had some great death scenes, yet no one talks about it...I know people didnt care for the ending but overall I thought it was great. Totally overlooked.

:hi5: :yess:

And I thought of another for the underrated list:

HIGH TENSION :rock

I've seen this movie both "R" and "Unrated" and I have to say: This is a movie that must be watched unrated. The practical special effects are great in this movie and they are all cut short for the R rating.

;)

I liked the premise of 'High Tension' but when the movie finished I thought to myself that this film must have looked much better in the written word. It just didn't jive well enough in a visual medium (too many instances of 'well, that's stretching it a bit'). Yes, yes, I know it's a movie where all kinds of concepts are being stretched left and right (as is the case with much of the horror movie genre), but when a lover of horror movies (like myself) is left scratching their head over the ultimate payoff then the film just wasn't as successful as it could of been. IMO of course.

I actually loved the ending of the movie. There are no plot holes because it is never clear how much of what we see is real and how much is in her imagination. I know that may seem like a cop-out, but it works for me. It's fun to go back and watch it, knowing the surprise ending. You pick up on a lot that you might have missed. It's also worth listening to the commentary. "Plot holes" are addressed in the commentary.

High Tension is easily in my top 5 favorite horror movies of all time. And I do think it's underrated.

Oh, and the music in High Tension is amazing! :rock

Back