UFC, etc.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varner was pounding his opponent earlier tonight in his fight, it could have been stopped but wasn't.......look how it turned out.

Gotta let the fighters fight ref!

I don't agree with the stoppage on Faber, but what are you gonna do. It is what it is.

Me neither. While he really wasn't defending himself that great, I didn't think he was getting pummeled bad enough to call the stoppage. Especially when Faber was giving the thumbs up when Dean started looking at him to call it.

From Bloody Elbow:
UFC president says 'best referee in the business' Herb Dean 'rarely makes mistakes,' but he made on one on Saturday night in Renan Barao vs. Urijah Faber fight.
There was a look of surprise on the face of Urijah Faber when referee Herb Dean waved off UFC 169's main event at the 3:42 mark of Round 1. While Renan Barao celebrated his first defense of the undisputed UFC bantamweight title, Faber, on one knee, looked up at Dean and raised his thumb, trying to let Dean know that he had indeed signaled that he was okay moments before Dean stopped the fight.

Video replay and photographs confirmed Faber's argument. While Barao rained punches down on Faber's head, Faber blocking the shots with his left hand, raised the thumb on his right hand, which was wrapped around Barao's leg.

Many fans and fighters took to social media and lamented that Dean had stopped the fight early.

When questioned about the stoppage, UFC president Dana White responded at the UFC 169 post-fight press conference, "You've heard me up here a million times talk about Herb Dean. I think he's the best referee in the business. He rarely makes mistakes, but he made a mistake tonight. Faber was blocking those shots. He gave the thumbs up."

The loss was Faber's second defeat at the hands of Barao. The first time the two met, at UFC 149, Barao captured the interim UFC bantamweight title with a unanimous decision win. Faber (30-7) earned his second crack at Barao by stringing together four straight victories after that loss.

Barao's win on Saturday moved his unbeaten streak to 33 straight fights. His professional record now stands at 32-1-0-1.

2n0uijk.jpg

because of the bad stoppage, I think Faber will get one more shot before Dana says that he won't get another.

because of the bad stoppage, I think Faber will get one more shot before Dana says that he won't get another.

I agree man. I think Faber gets another shot. Like hairless said, he wasn't exactly doing great, but he also wasn't getting "beat up" per say. If you watch the replay most if not all of those punches landed on Faber's glove. Win or lose Faber brings a good fight, so I never count him out which was a little disappointing to see such
a quick ref stoppage. Also I think Renan looking at Herb even if he doesn't want to admit it influenced him in that early stoppage.

Anyone else see the bjpenn.com article on fighter tweets about the quick stoppage of the fight? Pretty funny and hard on Herb tweets.

guy hasn't even defended the belt once, wouldn't really consider that a super fight. So whose title is actually on the line?

Pettis needs to sit it out for a year at least to allow that knee to heal fully.

nah. Cruz was out for like 5 freaking years lol. What's weird is that I actually met Cruz here in SD Alliance gym and he was showing me some of his foot work and he looks fine.

I love Machida, but I honestly believe Weidman would knock him out. Hopefully I'm 100% wrong.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Back