Tweeterhead BATGIRL Maquette Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a message back from Chad at Tweeterhead. It was a very sincere and apologetic letter explaining what sounds like a complete "cluster" of events causing the delays and assured that my statue will arrive Monday.
In the letter he also informed me that those of us that ordered the exclusive will be receiving the litho and portfolio pack in another shipment later.

Hey Guys,

Chad here, I generally don't post...but this last shipment and the results of making some of you upset has me wanting to get in touch with you. I don't want to have any angry customers and the more we do shows like SDCC etc., getting the chance to meet some of you or talk to some of you on the phone...many of you have become friends as well.

The situation with our Batgirl and Batwoman shipment was due to a new carrier, Chinese New Year (everything closes for three weeks and all of our usual carriers were booked) and customs clearance issues on this end (again, due to the volume of stuff coming in). We also discovered too late that the factory did not pack in the litho or folio...but only the certificate made it. We will be sending them in a few weeks once they arrive here from China.

For those of you who are upset, I'm sorry. It's the last thing I want and regarding our distributors getting the jump on us this time...it is NO reflection on how much we care about our direct sales customers.

I'm a collector as well and I know how the excitement is for something that you've ordered and then see on a store shelf.

I got into this business to make great product from great licenses and always saw this as a big venture between the fans, customers and me. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here, email or pm. We also have a new customer service number 415-815-8841. You will be getting in touch with Debbie every time.

I have been trying for months to set up some kind of LIVE chat that we can all participate in...but I'm not having much luck. I would love to be able to address everyone at once and answer all your questions. If anyone out there knows of a way to do this, please let me know.

Thanks again,
C

I ordered this maquette from Alter Ego Comics last year (my first order with them). It was delivered last week, but I noticed the left corner of the base had a big chip in it. I e-mailed a picture of the damage to the store and was told they would pass it along to Sideshow. A week later, I got a message on my answering machine asking that I call the store.

The woman told me they heard back from Sideshow, but they couldn't do anything since the item came from a different supplier. I was under the impression that Sideshow was the primary distributer for Tweeterhead, so that seemed strange. Then she claimed Sideshow was offering a $20 credit if I wanted to keep the damaged item. I told her that wasn't acceptable, so she said something about getting the maquette from a different supplier and that she would contact Sideshow again about a return label.

Never had to deal with a damaged statue before this, so hopefully all goes smoothly. Has anyone here had a similar situation with Alter Ego? I'd heard good things about them and they did have the best price I could find for this item. That's why I decided to give them a shot vs. buying from Entertainment Earth or directly from Tweeterhead.

I ordered this maquette from Alter Ego Comics last year (my first order with them). It was delivered last week, but I noticed the left corner of the base had a big chip in it. I e-mailed a picture of the damage to the store and was told they would pass it along to Sideshow. A week later, I got a message on my answering machine asking that I call the store.

The woman told me they heard back from Sideshow, but they couldn't do anything since the item came from a different supplier. I was under the impression that Sideshow was the primary distributer for Tweeterhead, so that seemed strange. Then she claimed Sideshow was offering a $20 credit if I wanted to keep the damaged item. I told her that wasn't acceptable, so she said something about getting the maquette from a different supplier and that she would contact Sideshow again about a return label.

Never had to deal with a damaged statue before this, so hopefully all goes smoothly. Has anyone here had a similar situation with Alter Ego? I'd heard good things about them and they did have the best price I could find for this item. That's why I decided to give them a shot vs. buying from Entertainment Earth or directly from Tweeterhead.

I've always had good experiences with Alter Ego. Sometimes they are handicapped a bit because they have to go back to the company to get answers which of course adds a little more time to the process. Overall, they try to make it right (at least in my experience).

Just received the statue directly from Tweeterhead and it is gorgeous (sorry about the absence of pics)! It came complete with the Batty award and the award stand, along with a facsimile Yvonne Craig signature certificate, which I've posted here. This is truly a quality piece, and the only "complaint" is the same one that can be hurled at almost all Yvonne-based Batgirl toys and figures... her body costume happens to be blue with a purple tinge, not cherry-purple or brown-purple. But what the hell... this statue is absolutely wonderful, a must-have for any BG/Craig fan. BTW, T's Chad Colebank explains in a note that a tribute folio to Yvonne and a lithograph of concept art for her secret door should have been included in the package, but weren't available at the time of mailing. They will be sent out in a few weeks after they arrive from China; Chad wisely sent the statues out without them, realizing that customers would like this item sooner rather than later, even if they have to wait a short while for those nifty extras. Again, beautiful job, Chad... I hope you acquire the WONDER WOMAN '77 license one of these days, not only for Lynda Carter in both '40s and '70s incarnations, but for Debra Winger as Wonder Girl, who has never had a figure created in her TV likeness. Bottom line? Keep up the great work! BatgirlCertificate.jpg

Just received the statue directly from Tweeterhead and it is gorgeous (sorry about the absence of pics)! It came complete with the Batty award and the award stand, along with a facsimile Yvonne Craig signature certificate, which I've posted here. This is truly a quality piece, and the only "complaint" is the same one that can be hurled at almost all Yvonne-based Batgirl toys and figures... her body costume happens to be blue with a purple tinge, not cherry-purple or brown-purple. But what the hell... this statue is absolutely wonderful, a must-have for any BG/Craig fan. BTW, T's Chad Colebank explains in a note that a tribute folio to Yvonne and a lithograph of concept art for her secret door should have been included in the package, but weren't available at the time of mailing. They will be sent out in a few weeks after they arrive from China; Chad wisely sent the statues out without them, realizing that customers would like this item sooner rather than later, even if they have to wait a short while for those nifty extras. Again, beautiful job, Chad... I hope you acquire the WONDER WOMAN '77 license one of these days, not only for Lynda Carter in both '40s and '70s incarnations, but for Debra Winger as Wonder Girl, who has never had a figure created in her TV likeness. Bottom line? Keep up the great work! View attachment 252921

That's great to hear! Thanks for taking the time to post that, can't wait until Friday :)

I received mine today from Big Bad Toy store. It's a beautiful statue and sculpt, but... I'm definitely in the camp that the costume is the wrong color. It's especially galling because the prototype was not. The flash pictures make the costume look darker than it is. In person, it's a very light, pink-purple. I feel it should be a lot more blue-purple, or darker. So thumbs up to a terrific sculpt. Thumbs down to a bait and switch on the color from the prototype, and, quite frankly, the wrong color choice.

Almost all Yvonne Craig Batgirl items go crazy with the purple body suit. DC must have decided that's the official color of her TV costume, even though it was actually blue-purple. Here's the bendable BG for a comparison: DC_Comics_Batgirl_Bendable_Figure_Classic_TV_Series__37885.1424547925.500.659.jpg

Just got my statue in today.... It looks great but had a few nitpicks

1) The Neck is to long
2) Her Mask looks like it sits to low on her face, her eyes are almost covered by the mask...
3) When I hold her, her boot sticks to my skin, no paint comes off or anything but it still a bit weird..

Otherwise a nice statue.... I'd give it 7/10

I received mine today from Big Bad Toy store. It's a beautiful statue and sculpt, but... I'm definitely in the camp that the costume is the wrong color. It's especially galling because the prototype was not. The flash pictures make the costume look darker than it is. In person, it's a very light, pink-purple. I feel it should be a lot more blue-purple, or darker. So thumbs up to a terrific sculpt. Thumbs down to a bait and switch on the color from the prototype, and, quite frankly, the wrong color choice.

This is exactly what I said when I posted the initial pics of mine. I'm glad someone else sees it also and its not just me. It actually really bothers me that it's pinkish and I'm considering returning it.

Hey Guys,

Chad here, I generally don't post...but this last shipment and the results of making some of you upset has me wanting to get in touch with you. I don't want to have any angry customers and the more we do shows like SDCC etc., getting the chance to meet some of you or talk to some of you on the phone...many of you have become friends as well.

The situation with our Batgirl and Batwoman shipment was due to a new carrier, Chinese New Year (everything closes for three weeks and all of our usual carriers were booked) and customs clearance issues on this end (again, due to the volume of stuff coming in). We also discovered too late that the factory did not pack in the litho or folio...but only the certificate made it. We will be sending them in a few weeks once they arrive here from China.

For those of you who are upset, I'm sorry. It's the last thing I want and regarding our distributors getting the jump on us this time...it is NO reflection on how much we care about our direct sales customers.

I'm a collector as well and I know how the excitement is for something that you've ordered and then see on a store shelf.

I got into this business to make great product from great licenses and always saw this as a big venture between the fans, customers and me. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here, email or pm. We also have a new customer service number 415-815-8841. You will be getting in touch with Debbie every time.

I have been trying for months to set up some kind of LIVE chat that we can all participate in...but I'm not having much luck. I would love to be able to address everyone at once and answer all your questions. If anyone out there knows of a way to do this, please let me know.

Thanks again,
C

Thank you Chad for responding. I was initially upset with the delay, but once I opened her up and got her, all is forgiven. She is gorgeous!! Makes me want to get Riddler and then egghead. They will go great with my hot toys 66 batman and Robin. If I did not already have them I would have bought them through you. Sucks about lithograph and exclusive not making shipment. But something else to look forward to. Well done on batgirl!!

I have to wait to get mine in-hand, but I wouldn't say the choice of purple suit was wrong per se (the pink-purple you're describing, possibly.) The Batty Award makes me think this piece was based on her appearance in "Catwoman's Dressed to Kill", which featured that suit. It's not my preferred choice, so if not for the Tweeterhead's superior sculpt, I might've gone for the glittery, bluish C.S. Moore statue instead. That one however looks like a caricature by comparison, almost as if Diamond Select got the rights to Batgirl but not Yvonne Craig's likeness.

I got my statue today and absolutely love it! I have an 8 X 10 to compare, but unfortunately it has a red background.
e83fd4095e458ba0aba62bdb5e2701df.jpg
bf584dfad3ce778976b7f29079ee80a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always had good experiences with Alter Ego. Sometimes they are handicapped a bit because they have to go back to the company to get answers which of course adds a little more time to the process. Overall, they try to make it right (at least in my experience).
Thanks for the reply. Alter Ego just sent me a UPS label so I can return the damaged maquette to Sideshow. It just seems odd that I was told the item came from a different supplier and Sideshow couldn't offer a replacement. Now I'm being asked to return it directly to them? They did mention Batgirl was solicited before the Sideshow distribution deal, so they secured their stock through a different supplier.

Oh, well... as long as I get a replacement from whatever distributer they use, I'll be satisfied. Fingers crossed the next one doesn't have any issues. If not damaged, I'm worried I'll get one with the mask glued on too low like someone here mentioned. Despite the chipped base, at least the first one I was sent had a flawless Batgirl.

It's not a huge issue but I do think the factory screwed up and put her mask to low... if they put it any lower you wouldn't even be able to see her eyes...

The transparency that was originally used to make the above print was slightly faded. Check out the same image (or at least part of it) after color correction:
yvonne-craig-batgirl-1.jpg

The top of Batgirl's mask was almost always purple... even King Tut identifies it as purple in an episode's dialogue. But the body costume started out with more blue in it. It seems likely there may have been two body costumes, one more purplish than the other. And BG's ears were sometimes straight-up, sometimes curved inward. Anyway... here's a shot that shows off the purple mask and neck piece, along with a blue-with-some purple body costume:
batgirl-yvonne-craig.jpg

Reflecting this confusion over the proper color of BG's costume (blue, blue-purple or just plain purple?), keep in mind that the show's producers couldn't make up their minds either. In the wildest example of this, "purple, inward-eared" Batgirl is fired upon by an alvino raygun, but when she's flattened (what a pity), it's the "blue, upward-eared" Batgirl we're looking at, which means Yvonne did the pose for flat BG at a different time, wearing a slightly different costume, or at least a cowl with its ears bent differently. I often wondered if this mis-match was on purpose, for parody reasons -- Craig's leg stance changes slightly as well, and her hair falls back in one, forward in the other. Anyway, it's an interesting difference once you catch on to it:
BGAlvinoRayA.jpgBGAlvinoRayB.jpg

As I was boxing up Batgirl for the return shipment, I noticed another defect: A big chip in one of the bricks on the back wall of the base. It was painted over at the factory, but I can tell from other people's photos that there isn't supposed to be a chunk missing in that spot. I only owned two Tweeterhead maquettes before this one and they both have small defects, but nothing this obvious. For instance:

- My Newmar Catwoman has a weird bump on the back left corner of the base, almost as if a piece broke and they patched it up at the factory. It's painted over, but not sharp like the other corners.

- The shoes on my Elivra maquette don't touch the ground. The bottom of the dress connects to the base, but the high heels hover slightly. I think the legs were glued on at an odd angle, but it's only noticeable if you're at eye level with the feet.

Despite those imperfections, the sculpting on these pieces is outstanding. In fact, they're the only premium statues I've ever been compelled to own. I could never justify paying $200+ for something like this until recently, but Trevor Grove's work really impresses me.

Back