TOYs ERA - The Fiend

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I’d say between $325 and $350 if this were a Hot Toys product. At $225 all in it’s a good deal these days for a 1/6 figure like this.

Agree about its looks, though is it priced fantastic? Without getting into any philosophical discussion about lack of license, shouldn't it be priced low compared to a Hot Toy based on them not paying license fees? And based on them not being "Hot Toys". Anyone have any idea what a license fee per figure would cost if it was licensed? I know nothing about Toys Era, just wondering, and I am probably getting it.

People here will buy it regardless and they will justify it any way imaginable. It will be decent quality but it will not be hot toys quality, I own enough of their figures to know. 155 for goblin is a reasonable price but another 70+ for a glider, not so much. People here will tell you that they don't make and sell as much as hot toys so that's why the price needs to be higher and most here would have paid 300 for the deluxe. They'll tell you how if hot toys made this it would be over 300, yet it would be a lot higher quality and come with a lot more stuff and probably light up. They'll also say how if one of the custom guys made a run of a couple dozen of these, they'd sign up and pay hundreds to get it made, so this is a good price. They'll buy anything from pretty much anyone if they don't think it will be made by a licensed company. I've seen every excuse and every justification on these boards, you have to make the choice for yourself because these unlicensed figures aren't going away.

No 1/6 figure is a bargain these days. Nobody is trying to justify the price. And nobody is trying to find an excuse to buy it.

Things are only worth the price you’re willing to pay. Show me a Hot Toys Goblin, a Toys Works Goblin, a Soosoo Toys Goblin and let me compare them and their prices. Then we can really say whether or not a Toys Era Goblin is overpriced. So far, after all these years, Toys Era is the only company offering this with absolutely no reason to believe HT will even try. That alone adds value to it and Toys Era really deserves some praise for even offering it.

Personally I’m excited it’s even getting made, with a glider!, and at a price less than I pay for most bare bone figures from HT.

People that want Green Goblin can go out and buy it now. People that want a gold spray painted Iron man can got to HT, and get it now. Everybody wins.

I have a decent amount of Hot Toys, and have sold on just as much. For the most part their quality is the best, from paint jobs to details, but there is a point when they start to get tiresome. Not interested in yet more Iron Man variants or dime a dozen troopers, so it's very refreshing to see Raimi villains finally getting decent figures. I've wanted a Doc Ock for years, I'd have taken any version and of course Hot Toys dropped the ball with no PS4 Octavius.

I appreciate all the figures Toys Era makes, even if I'm not interested in them, because it's a breath of fresh air from HT's rinse and repeat.

Totally agreed. HT still makes some pretty cool stuff, but I find myself getting a lot more excited these days about third party figures like this or Doc Ock or Matsumodo that I just wouldn't have expected to see in a million years.

Between Hot Toys, Sideshow, Blitzway, Enterbay, ThreeZero, Asmus and Star Ace, I own hundreds of 1:6 figures. That said, I’m glad there are companies like Toys Era, SooSoo, Xensation and others out there producing these overlooked and abandoned characters. Licensed or not, this is the only 1:6 Raimi Green Goblin we’ll likely ever see. I don’t lump unlicensed companies in with companies that recast sculpts and produce low quality knock-offs. Hot Toys is making substantial bank off their Marvel, DC and Star Wars licenses, so unlicensed figures like this are probably minor irritants at best. If HT had any plans to produce a GG I’m sure they would have squealed to Marvel to get this squashed. The character is Marvel IP, so it is well within their rights to go after them. My guess is these UL companies have learned to keep their production numbers low enough and be somewhat choosy in character selection in order to stay off the licensor’s radar, or going after them through the offshore courts is not worth the time and expense. Basically kind of an “unspoken agreement”. Who knows, in a roundabout way it may even help the industry by keeping current collectors engaged and/or bringing in new collectors.

Another thing I like about these third party figures is the wait time from preorder to in hand is usually a lot less than SS and HT.

I’ve got Ock, Superboy, Green Arrow and this on preorder and they should all be hitting within the next three months.

Between Hot Toys, Sideshow, Blitzway, Enterbay, ThreeZero, Asmus and Star Ace, I own hundreds of 1:6 figures. That said, I’m glad there are companies like Toys Era, SooSoo, Xensation and others out there producing these overlooked and abandoned characters. Licensed or not, this is the only 1:6 Raimi Green Goblin we’ll likely ever see. I don’t lump unlicensed companies in with companies that recast sculpts and produce low quality knock-offs. Hot Toys is making substantial bank off their Marvel, DC and Star Wars licenses, so unlicensed figures like this are probably minor irritants at best. If HT had any plans to produce a GG I’m sure they would have squealed to Marvel to get this squashed. The character is Marvel IP, so it is well within their rights to go after them. My guess is these UL companies have learned to keep their production numbers low enough and be somewhat choosy in character selection in order to stay off the licensor’s radar, or going after them through the offshore courts is not worth the time and expense. Basically kind of an “unspoken agreement”. Who knows, in a roundabout way it may even help the industry by keeping current collectors engaged and/or bringing in new collectors.

Not a lawyer, but don't companies have to make some attempt to protect their IP even if they do not currently have plans to produce something? Otherwise doesn't the law look at it like they had their chance when future instances of IP issues come up?

How have the previous production numbers of Toys Era figures been? Have they been available after they hit the market without pre-ordering?

You can find all types of unlicensed 1/6 scale figures on eBay as well as stateside retailers long after they’ve been up for preorder.

I'm waiting to see what Soosoo Toys does with their Green Goblin. Looks like they're gonna do a more comic accurate version.

As much as I like SM1 and Dafoe, I could never get over this Power Ranger costume.

121573190_350626982813532_1450345327085242992_n.jpg

I'm waiting to see what Soosoo Toys does with their Green Goblin. Looks like they're gonna do a more comic accurate version.

As much as I like SM1 and Dafoe, I could never get over this Power Ranger costume.

121573190_350626982813532_1450345327085242992_n.jpg
To be fair their Netflix iron fist also had a colourful, comic inspired base, so there's a chance it's a movie goblin. Personally I'm hoping it is

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Got the deluxe from KG. I think the price is exactly right and I couldn’t are less about light or sound features. I assume most people those additions matter to tend to develop the skills to install them by themselves.

This is gonna pop sooo much on the shelf. My more brightly coloured figures definitely the most visually appealing and gaze-grabbing of my collection. Power Rangers, X-Men, Beast Wars and now some Spidey! Fiend and The Ock are two of my most anticipated figures by quite a margin. It’s going to make my lack of a decent 1/6 Spidey all the more excruciating. HT are releasing so many skins from that game so I’m hoping holding out will eventually be rewarded with a Raimi upgrade version. TE attempting one would probably be slightly preferable as I don’t necessarily need the HT quality and would rather save a hundred quid with an unofficial.

Not a lawyer, but don't companies have to make some attempt to protect their IP even if they do not currently have plans to produce something? Otherwise doesn't the law look at it like they had their chance when future instances of IP issues come up?
True but that's why the unlicensed versions get names like The Fiend, The Messiah, etc.

Wait, who's TNS?

https://www.tnsfigures.com/

Agree about its looks, though is it priced fantastic? Without getting into any philosophical discussion about lack of license, shouldn't it be priced low compared to a Hot Toy based on them not paying license fees? And based on them not being "Hot Toys". Anyone have any idea what a license fee per figure would cost if it was licensed? I know nothing about Toys Era, just wondering, and I am probably getting it.

I've heard that licensing costs can make up to 20-30% of a figures final cost, depending.

https://www.tnsfigures.com/

I've heard that licensing costs can make up to 20-30% of a figures final cost, depending.

As far as I know there is a somewhat magic number. Low production runs means you have to price higher to regroup the cost. But big of an order means you may not have another factory workers to deliver, depending on the time frame.
Licensing fees cost quite a bit for sure. It's not per figure but say buying the licensing for DC/Marvel/Star Trek/Wars. And then depending on what their IP agreements are it may cost extra. IE Michael Keaton Batman, Jack Nicholson Joker, the now RIP Heath Ledger Joker, Peter Weller Robocop, etc. And those prices can vary a lot depending on the actor. It's kind of like how much celebrity charges for autographs and photos at conventions.

Back