"Tombo" Doors are coming back!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I want to display 1/6 in Bestas, and since these doors only come in 1/3 height (of the tall Besta frame) or 1/5 height, I have no choice but to go with the 3 shelf configuration if I don't want my shelves blocked by doors yes? I'm struggling hard with how to display my 1/6 collection and Detolfs aren't an option.

Billy bookcases?

So, exactly which doors will Ikea be getting? For example, here's a photo of a a fellow collector's display room (sorry, don't know which forum member to credit here since I did a quick Google Image search for Tombo doors) showing both square and rectangle doors.

Based on the photo, will Ikea be restocking the bigger, rectangle doors or just the square ones?:

DSC02699.jpg

So, exactly which doors will Ikea be getting? For example, here's a photo of a a fellow collector's display room (sorry, don't know which forum member to credit here since I did a quick Google Image search for Tombo doors) showing both square and rectangle doors.

Based on the photo, will Ikea be restocking the bigger, rectangle doors or just the square ones?:

DSC02699.jpg

Wow. My collection has changed a bit since then :lol . The good old days when I had space.

Good news for all "Tombo" Doors Fans :clap

The Doors are coming back, but they will have a new name... called "FISKVIKEN". In Germany they are in some stores already on sale. You have to call your ikea and ask them.

here are some pics...

(credtis to snooks)

24290238xx.jpg

24290235jc.jpg

24290242sj.jpg

This is really great news, but IKEA should have never discontinued them in the first place. These doors were very popular and almost always sold out in my area. I hope they come with all the hardware like the originals.

Just ordered Glassvik. If I install them while waiting for these, will it be a huge pain changing to new ones?

No. Just take them back and get a refund if you want the new ones.

Thanks.
The way I look at it.

Advantage of the ones WITH the border:

- hides ugly metal hinges on the sides
- hides LED strips and cables

Advantage of the ones WITHOUT the border:

- more visible area to see the collectibles
- cleaner look

Yup. I've got a Tombo/Glassvik mix atm and might stick with it.
Tombos work better on the bottom of the cabinet where there's restricted viewing.

Thanks.
The way I look at it.

Advantage of the ones WITH the border:

- hides ugly metal hinges on the sides
- hides LED strips and cables

Advantage of the ones WITHOUT the border:

- more visible area to see the collectibles
- cleaner look

The border also adds a classy, decorative look. I have a modern style bedroom (which is where my collection is), and it's definitely very nice. Whereas the Tombo doors make cases look a little less decorative, and more like....I dunno, just cases, if that makes sense. :lol I'm not expressing myself well here.

Personally I love that the metal hinges are hidden with the borders. I find those really distracting for me personally.

FML, now I have to change my setup... :lol Glad to hear they're back though. Maybe our voices were heard?

So if I want to display 1/6 in Bestas, and since these doors only come in 1/3 height (of the tall Besta frame) or 1/5 height, I have no choice but to go with the 3 shelf configuration if I don't want my shelves blocked by doors yes? I'm struggling hard with how to display my 1/6 collection and Detolfs aren't an option.
I use the half shelves to display more per cube. And I got tombo doors. And I'll give you an example of a more packed besta from the ones I got.

57f59bcbbcbf238afc82fee885e8eb77.jpg
6c9c2c2ec7cecccefee7d64ae3ef2537.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I use the half shelves to display more per cube. And I got tombo doors. And I'll give you an example of a more packed besta from the ones I got.

57f59bcbbcbf238afc82fee885e8eb77.jpg
6c9c2c2ec7cecccefee7d64ae3ef2537.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Nice. That's the same way I have mine setup as well. I use a mix of TOMBOs and SINDVIKs.

Question, in your bottom Avengers display pic, how did you get 3 figures on the 1/2 shelf and Hulk in there? Or are those 3 figures on a clear stand of some sort?

Back