Today is the day, Freaks. Grey Hulk PFF! Git Yer order In!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RichPG said:
The reality is that it's unlikely that Sideshow has incurred any additional costs in the production of the Grey Hulk.

Sideshow can set the price of any item at any level they choose, afterall they take the gamble that they don't sell if they are overpriced. It was always a safe bet that these exclusives would sell out superfast & it's obvious that the secondary value would rise to some extent due to rarity, which SS don't usually get a slice of.

They are just taking some of the profit that flippers normally pocket. In doing so, they potentially punish people who wanted to keep the item. Having said that would people prefer big edition numbers and cheap prices or small numbers and high prices? There are people in each camp.

Since I don't plan on selling any of the pieces in my collection, give me SUPER HIGH ES's and low prices.

Darth Loki said:
Since I don't plan on selling any of the pieces in my collection, give me SUPER HIGH ES's and low prices.
exactly. thats wtf Im talkin about. :lol
Ive been enojoying Weta's over production on the Kong pieces very much. Dirt cheap

occulum said:
exactly. thats wtf Im talkin about. :lol
Ive been enojoying Weta's over production on the Kong pieces very much. Dirt cheap

I know some dealers are taking a bath on those though. SS seemed to always have a great ES size, enough product to match demand with a fair number of exclusives out there. But then this whole Grey Hulk just ruined all that. You would've thought they'd learn with the VS piece, but this was proof that they didn't. I really hope they never do this with any SW or LOTR pieces, it's bad enough for all you really big Marvel fans to have to deal with.

If the grey hulk was an edition of 10,000 everyone would be crying about that. I like the low editions and I hope all the grown man crying about not getting a hulk, doesn't change Sideshow's Mind about doing these low editions, 99% of the people pissed are just pissed because they couldn't get one to sell on ebay.

I have really come around on the Hulk PF. I like the Grey because this is how he originally appeared in the comics, and this is as classic a sculpt as you can find.

That being said, $425 in the first QTR of 07 may not be possible for me with everything else coming.

Low edition sizes like these grey Hulk pieces tend to turn me off in general simply because it seems to be more of a gimmick to get people hyped than about the actual product. When a piece sells out in two minutes it's obviously being done for the buzz factor.

TheObsoleteMan said:
When a piece sells out in two minutes it's obviously being done for the buzz factor.
I think its alittle bit of both.
Using the SS Ardeth Bay bust as an example, I'll bet if they made 200 of those it wouldve taken a week+ to sell 15 of them. They dont want them warming their warehouse shelves, so they drop the ES, which in turn ups the buzz factor.
I also dont knock using a low ES as a gimmick totally. Down the line if the low ES products sky rocket in value, then it creates the desire to pick up the new products in hopes they will do the same. But with a huge ES, it would be impossible for that to happen.
Im sure Sideshow has a tough time walking the Collectibility/Availability tightrope.

.... how funny would it be if they announced a 150ES for the green hulk too? :lol

NASEDO said:
If the grey hulk was an edition of 10,000 everyone would be crying about that.
Not true. The PF Boba Fett obviously has a ridiculously high ES but I'd *much* rather have that than an ES like the Grey Hulk. Sure some people are raising eyebrows that Fett hasn't sold out but no one is "crying" about it.

I like low ES, but I also like having what I want. If I can't have both I'll pick the latter. :lol

Ideally I like ES of around 1,500 to 2,000. Not too huge but not so small that it sells out in two seconds and immediately goes up on ebay for thousands of dollars.

Low edition sizes keep the SS name on everyone's lips for one reason or the other. That's the name of the game. I am not hating though, because I can't say that I would do it any differently.

Jesse

if i remember correctly the green pulk went up first day of sdcc.
then some people weren't to shore if they liked it.
ss also told us of the ppl for the gray at the same time.
i for one liked the look of adams hulk but wasn't to shore about the gray.
then azog posted the first full length picture and every one started talking
about it.the low edition size might have mayed some people by the gray
but the picture of the gray hulk showed everyone how awesome it was.
the gray hulk looks awesome.thats why i want it.
anyone else feel the same?

At least these limiteds like the grey Hulk and SSE Ardeth make sense. Can you see people scrambling to buy 100 chrome Hulks?

Darklord Dave said:
At least these limiteds like the grey Hulk and SSE Ardeth make sense. Can you see people scrambling to buy 100 chrome Hulks?

You at least have part of a point. Many of GG's LE's are sheer marketing ploys. I'm still not sure why SS would have such a low ES on this after the VS fiasco, but at least there was a Grey Hulk. I don't ever remember seeing the a chrome Vader in ROTJ.

Bodie The Cursed said:
Exactly.. Grown men crying over toys...
They're not toys. They're physical representations of beloved characters from the pages of comics or from the silver screen. They are slices of a childhood that some of us have not forgotten. That or painted lumps of polystone that usually look pretty cool. Take your pick.:D

Darklord Dave said:

Very good remark Dave!

Khev said:
What was the "fiasco" with the Grey "Vs." Hulk? Just a lot of ticked off people who didn't get one?

No, that does not count for everyone. I think it was a fiasco because of the way it was brought to the market. Not the fact that I don't have the Grey Vs. Hulk makes me mad, but the fact that I didn't get a shot at it in the first place. I missed it because I didn't know it was available. There was no straight froward information about this piece.
I'm happy that it was done differently for the Silver Screen Edition Ardeth Bey and this wonderful Grey Hulk PF. It was clearly announced ahead of time. So, if you where interested, you knew exactly what to do.

Ah, I see how that would be frustrating. So one day the Grey "Vs." was just up for order and no one had any advance notification?

And I'm not totally against low ES, even those that are this low. Everyone likes to have that one thing in their collection that makes it truly unique in some way, having a super rare and highly coveted collectible can sure do that.

And there is something about that thrill of anticipating, then trying for it, win or lose.

Its just that bummer of a downside if you're a completist or its your "Holy Grail." If the Grey Jack Kirby Hulk was my all time favorite super hero and I had invested time, money, and energy into acquiring choice collectibles it would really bother me to miss out on this piece. It is THE collectible to have (first prints of Hulk #1 notwithstanding.)

I prefer things like this to be more "EU" or non-essential. Let's say Boba Fett was my favorite SW character. Having the PF be limited to 150 would NOT be cool (unless I got one :D). But having an exclusive Holiday Special or Joe Johnston concept Boba Fett PF limited to 150 would be totally cool.

Utterly sweet icing on the cake but not collection crippling if missed. I suppose in some ways this Grey Hulk does fulfill that criteria. He never actually *appeared* grey in the original comics did he? Just later on in the 80's as an homage to the way Kirby originally drew him?

Back