Thundercats ROAR (new cartoon series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Source: https://ew.com/tv/2018/05/18/cartoon-network-thundercats-new-animated-series/

1364495712208.png

So kids today prefer cartoons like this soft mushy pile of feces?

Once again, in my old age, I find myself agreeing more and more with Mama Fratelli.

e5b56786-f623-4e42-9c11-c7e83bf17253_screenshot.jpg

2an03v.jpg

Not surprised that the style is in that of current animation trends. Not what I would have picked but...

It's not like shows when the original aired didn't have a very particular animation style either. Just how the field ebbs and flows.

How about they just make a new show altogether? They are using a title that isn’t going to capture young kid’s attention, and animation that pushes generational fans away. Loooks like a joke.

T U M B L R C A T S

Ugh, this show looks terrible. Were these guys even alive when the original was on? Doubtful.

I know we probably aren’t the target audience, but I’m getting tired of reboots and remakes. It just seems like everyone is out of ideas.

2an03v.jpg

Not surprised that the style is in that of current animation trends. Not what I would have picked but...

It's not like shows when the original aired didn't have a very particular animation style either. Just how the field ebbs and flows.

Do kids really like this weird style of drawing?
Or do kids just watch whatever is on and not care about what they are watching drawing wise?

Are kids really happy with this odd style?

Do kids really like this weird style of drawing?
Or do kids just watch whatever is on and not care about what they are watching drawing wise?

Are kids really happy with this odd style?

I'd say they probably do - it's colorful, vibrant, fluid, and visually engaging. It's not what I enjoy, but I totally see where to a kid it's eye candy. Bright and happy is an appealing thing when a lot of the universe is pretty dark right now.

It sort of reminds me of the contrast between games like Borderlands and regular FPSs.

It's not what I would expect (I feel really weird looking at the new Scooby Doo art style, for example), but it's not aimed at me, or us.

I'm more disappointed in the lack of variety in animation as a result of the success of this fluid art. ~90's to early ~00's brought a pretty good variety of styles between CN and Nick. But even then, CN had a lot of consistency...Cow and Chicken, Courage. Maybe now we notice that, but I certainly didn't make too much of a note of that thing unless I didn't like it.

Did that dude in the video have the same hairstyle as Pebbles from Flintstones?

I bet The Mutants are really going to be idiots in this.

I've been pretty "over" the Thundercats for a long time. Loved it as a kid, but they switched its schedule where I lived and I ended up missing the entire last season, after the Luna-tacks became the main enemies.

As an adult, I never felt the need to go back and watch it. I have a hard time watching kids' shows now, especially Transformers. That was my religion when I was a kid but I've tried to rewatch it and it's blitheringly poorly written.

I watched about 5 episodes of the Thundercats relaunch in 2011 and again, just felt like "eh....this isn't for me." Just didn't hold my interest.

So this latest update doesn't offend me in the sense that it's "ruining my childhood" or anything. I just find it bewildering cause it's just so intentionally UGLY. It's freaking gross looking.

And then I remember when I was in high school, and I couldn't get enough of Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead, Liquid Television, etc. And I bet my parents saw me watching that and thought the same thing: "why are you watching such hideous cartoons?"

Guess we're just old guys. Apparently kids are into ugly garish cartoons, or at the very least, the millennial hipsters that are foisting them upon them like them. I love Rick and Morty, but I tried watching Adventure Time a few times and it just made my head hurt. And I vow to you all, I'll rewatch TLJ five times in a row before I ever sit through five minutes of Steven Universe.

Wish these goddamn kids would get off my lawn.

The way I see it, they tried to make a more adult show a few years back and the ratings weren't great, which is a shame because it was a good show. So now they're pandering to the younger audience and see where that goes.
Tragic. I actually liked the reboot they did a few years ago. This is not the ThunderCats I love.
I liked everything about the 2011 series from the mythology to the tone, animation, and toys. Such a bummer it got cancelled and never even got a proper blu-ray release.
I wanted to watch and like that show, and the few times I did, it never really felt like the old show. It had the characters' names and likeneses, the theme song was cool, but it felt different than what I was expecting. Never felt the nostalgia aside from the intro.

I wanted to watch and like that show, and the few times I did, it never really felt like the old show. It had the characters' names and likeneses, the theme song was cool, but it felt different than what I was expecting. Never felt the nostalgia aside from the intro.

The theme was intense and stories were great..problem was it looked like bad Pokémon animation with horrible CGI effects

The theme was intense and stories were great..problem was it looked like bad Pokémon animation with horrible CGI effects
I really had no problem with the animation. It was more the personalities of the characters and the change in tone from the original. I felt it took itself too serious and if you ask me, they could have made a completely new show without using the Thundercats branding.

I really had no problem with the animation. It was more the personalities of the characters and the change in tone from the original. I felt it took itself too serious and if you ask me, they could have made a completely new show without using the Thundercats branding.

Pretty much every sci fi theme or fantasy cartoon series from CN seems to follow that dark serious tone like CW and Rebels

I wonder if CN prefers it like this :lecture

Pretty much every sci fi theme or fantasy cartoon series from CN seems to follow that dark serious tone like CW and Rebels

I wonder if CN prefers it like this :lecture
And that is the problem I think. If they want to cater to us adults who grew up watching those shows, they automatically think it has to be serious, it has to be dark, etc.

And most of those shows were not like that. It was not what was appealing to me personally. But anything colorful and funny looking has a potential to appeal to kids.

I sometimes look at all these shows today and compare them with the shows I grew up with and if anything, the art styles have gone way down. Animations are better, yes, but if you asked me when I was a little kid if I would prefer to see a show like ThunderCats vs Adventure Time or Steven Universe, I would have decided on just visual style alone and chosen TC anytime without hesitation. But honestly, storywise, character development and emotion, AT and SU are way better.

But yeah, shows for kids will always have a better chance of making it. I will watch this with an open mind and just by the poster shown, they have caught me attention.

Back