Threezero - The Matrix - 1/12 Armored Personnel Unit (APU) Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really just the little dudes that make it look toyish IMO. Nice looking piece.

Got my APU yesterday, one day after I got the shipping notice! Size is awesome. Can actually pose with my old McFarlane sentinels since they are the same scale. The driver's face sculpt is weak, not a big deal. A few articulation issues, but nothing too major. Some clips holding the main leg hose came off but can be glue back in easy. Overall very happy with this big guy. It's about time! Threezero_APU-1.jpg

Fixed the articulation issue with the shoulders. The lower (armpit) joints were glued in place...
Threezero_APU-2.jpg

How did you get that joint to move? Is it a ratchet joint?

How did you get that joint to move? Is it a ratchet joint?

That's what I thought at first. To make a long story short, one side snapped off (the piece just above the ammo box with the two lower cylinders connected to it.) when I tried to force the arms over. There are tiny springs inside the lower "armpit" cylinders, but the pivot joints are glued on so they won't rotate. Also, the inner shafts are too long, preventing any compression if they DID rotate. I think they got worried about people breaking the arms, or the arms being too floppy, so they limited the final articulation. The pre-production photos showed everything working so I knew they should... I tried accessing the other side by removing the torso but everything is sealed up tight. I didn't want to break anything else so with the legs/base off, I used a jeweler's saw to cut off the cylinders on the side that was still attached. Cut the the upper/inner shafts just enough to fit inside the lower cylinders at full extension and made lower cylinders rotate by (after drilling some holes) attaching them with a brass tube axle.

It's worth it!

Wow, that's some heavy mod. Maybe I'll ask threezero what they have to say first.

Just can't stop looking at it, the size and details are very satisfying, love this piece.
Don't care abouth the light up feature though.

By the way, would love to see a shot with the McFarlain Sentinel

Wow, that's some heavy mod. Maybe I'll ask threezero what they have to say first.

Just can't stop looking at it, the size and details are very satisfying, love this piece.
Don't care abouth the light up feature though.

It's not as bad as it seems. The pose-abilty totally makes it worth it. Those arms were hardly ever stowed in the upright, locked in position, even when they were just walking.

If you do some damage, super glue and a little paint touch-up will hide anything. It's supposed to be a big grimy, greasy beast!

Well, no surprise answer from threezero:

"We do not suggest you to move this area, its fixed."

Well, no surprise answer from threezero:

"We do not suggest you to move this area, its fixed."

Too bad. A little extra engineering and it should have been fine and articulate the way they obviously intended. It was a personal must for me because I did the 3D concept model (based on Geof Darrow's concept drawing) and articulation studies for the movies.

Thank you very much for the review, SD!

I have the McFarlane kit (still in box), but I will definitively fall for this one.

I found that Bad Ass Collectibles still has it on pre-sale.

Skulldroid: would you mind sharing step by step mods? Since the shoulder piston was separated....I wonder if it's possible to make it able to telescope as well...

Here are the 2 APU's side by side. I hope you can see the comparison.

I will also make a video on the Unboxing of the Threezero APU. I'll post it here when ready.

The APU on the left is from McFarlane (Mifune Last Stand); and on the right, from Threezero.

And yes, I had to tweak the McFarlane figure, as it came broken on a couple of parts, but it is still a fine figure.

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

I wanted this figure for such a long time, but wasn't able to afford it - the fact, that the price for those rare pieces moves always in the wrong direction with every year, didn't make it any easier. :gah:

But a few days ago, my favorite collectibles shop in the city had to conduct a clearance sale and guess what they had in their storage for a price tag, where every resistance was futile? :blissy

psx_20190304_215425jfj35.jpg

psx_20190304_215505y9j1i.jpg

I had so much fun unboxing and setting this masterpiece up:

psx_20190304_215643bzk82.jpg

All the details are so impressive - you really get the impression that this machine consist of rusting metal:

psx_20190304_220226hvjyx.jpg

psx_20190304_220442vtkju.jpg

psx_20190304_220356v5jkf.jpg

I'm so glad to have it in my collection, finally! :)

psx_20190310_1829515nkhy.jpg

Back