THOR: The Dark World

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: THOR: The sequel

I was just thinking the same as I read that new info.

I'm very excited for this sequel, and to be honest I'm glad its further away than 2012. What with Avengers and TDK being the big super-hero films for 2012, it'll be nice to have one ready (and a good one I'm hoping) for the following year. Assuming that you know, the world doesn't decide to be a _____ and end.

Don't forget about Spiderman reboot too. Loved that teaser in 3D on the XD screen.

Possible Director?

https://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168121-brian-kirk-to-direct-thor-2

Brian Kirk is in talks to direct Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studio's Thor 2, Variety reports.

Kirk, best known for directing three episodes in the first season of HBO's "Game of Thrones", has also directed episodes of "Dexter", "Luther" and "Boardwalk Empire".

Set for release on July 26, 2013, Thor 2 will presumably move into production very shortly and studio confirmation either way should be forthcoming. To feature a script by Don Payne, the film will follow Disney and Marvel's Iron Man 3 in the summer of 2013. That film is schedule for May 3rd of that year.

Interesting chaps these Marvel suits... having a TV director (albeit Game of Thrones is pretty cinematic) directing one of their MAJOR movies... oh wait. Who's directing The Avengers?

Well, if you look at the content of Kirk's past projects, he seems like a good choice, considering the material. Ensembles, high drama, fantasy elements, character-based stories....

Also, coming from TV production makes him more aware of things like tighter budgets and shorter schedules....hopefully not at the sacrifice of good story.

I can't imagine the folks at Marvel risking the good role they've been on as a singular studio (granted, it's Disney footing the bills and Paramount pumping out the movies but...) with a cheap-out creative decision.

The one good rumor going 'round so far about this project is the story leaning more towards the fantasy/other realms aspects...a bold choice for a "tentpole" movie, but terrific if true.

I really liked Branagh's take on "Thor"...if Kirk's the man for number two, I'll keep my fingers crossed the quality stays high...

Very true about Branagh rising to the occasion. And I like jedibear's points about Kirks resume encompassing attributes that would come into play in Thor 2. And lets be honest. A lot of the Cable TV show's nowadays are more cinematic than ever.

I'm just surprised that Marvel/Disney is going with a 'no-name' for Thor. That said, I'm sure it's a good compromise between budget and vision which is probably exactly what their after. That's one hell of break.

It wasn't coming out until 2013 anyways. We'll have Iron Man 3 that summer, Thor 2 in Nov, and then The Hobbit part 2 in December.

I'm always fine with a movie being pushed back, much better than rushing to meet a deadline.

Time for another new director...

Thor 2 loses its director. Time to start worrying about Asgard?

Bad news for our flaxen-haired champion of shirtlessness, Thor. Director Patty Jenkis (known for her work on Monster) has left the Marvel movie sequel Thor 2 over "creative differences." This is the second director to leave this project — this is not good.

Deadline is reporting that Jenkins has left Thor 2, but it's not all bad, since Deadline reveals that "her exit had to do with creative differences, but the feeling is that she'll probably end up working on one of these superhero films, but perhaps not on a sequel." Let's hope she does land on another Marvel project — we were all ready for a female director to shake up the rapidly growing boys' club of Marvel movie-makers.

Sadly, she's not the first director to leave Thor 2. Very early on in the Thor 2 development, Brian Kirk (Game of Thrones) was rumored to be signing on to direct, and that deal quickly fell apart. What in Odin's name is going on in Asgard?

That's crazy. I just read an interview with Tom Hiddleston about how he had a recent dinner with her and Hemsworth. He sounded excited about it. In any case, at this point I will give Marvel the benefit of doubt here. I've been happy with what they put out with (IM2 somewhat) so I'm not too worry yet. Let's hope that they choose very wisely another director that would fit to tell the next story.

I remember hearing that the guy from Game of Thrones was going to direct. Then they announced Patty. Now it's back to the drawing board. I hope they can get someone respectable and not just any old Ratner who can shoot fast enough to make the release date.

Maybe they will realize they need to get KB back so Thor 2 will be done right like Thor 1. :dunno

:lecture Agree 100%. But I have to wonder how frustrating making part 1 must have been for KB since it seems he never even considered doing the sequel. His name was out of the running pretty much as soon as the first Thor came out. The revolving door of directors makes me wonder if Feig and Co are really pushing some stupid ideas or if it's too much of filmmaking by committee.

:lecture Agree 100%. But I have to wonder how frustrating making part 1 must have been for KB since it seems he never even considered doing the sequel. His name was out of the running pretty much as soon as the first Thor came out. The revolving door of directors makes me wonder if Feig and Co are really pushing some stupid ideas or if it's too much of filmmaking by committee.

See as how awesome the Marvel movies have been recently, I don't think it's them pushing stupid ideas

well lets see how the Avengers turns out... hoping for the best.

From Deadline:

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios has found its Thor 2 director. I’m told that Marvel has set Alan Taylor, who was widely rumored to be on the short list to replace Patty Jenkins. Taylor is an accomplished TV director whose recent credits include Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Nurse Jackie, and he directed the feature Palookaville. Jenkins got the job but then fell out over differences with Marvel on the sequel.

This will put the film back on track to meet its November 15, 2013 release date. The sequel brings back Chris Hemsworth as the hammer-wielding superhero, from a script by Thor co-writer Don Payne. The Kenneth Branagh-directed original grossed $448 million worldwide and launched the star of Hemsworth, who reprised Thor in The Avengers and then played the latter title role opposite Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron in Snow White and the Huntsman for Universal. Taylor is repped by UTA.

Back