Thor The Dark World Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a fix to this statue SSC didn't do which they should have in factory but didn't. Take the pink in the eye that makes it crossed looking on the right side of the left eye... Paint it white and make it the color of the eyeball.

I'm not so sure how well the paint will stick over time.
I was thinking of trying to fix it but was actually surprised to see that the whole eye is a decal, including the whites of the eye.

I'm not so sure how well the paint will stick over time.
I was thinking of trying to fix it but was actually surprised to see that the whole eye is a decal, including the whites of the eye.

Mine comes Friday ... And I'm a bit nervous now. Are you going to keep yours?

Considering that many of the complaints tend to be regarding the eyes on the SS comiquette you would think more attention would be placed on doing a decent job on them. Here is a close up of my Thor DW. It looks like the pupils are laser transfers of some sort and then paint is applied to blend. Good intentions to have a more detailed iris but if the person does a bad application it still comes out looking hap hazard.
These eyes are a definite fail.
TDWcloseup.jpg

TDW.jpg

More like poor me :(
After all this time waiting and then you get this. :slap
Its too bad as the figure is very big and the rest of the work is good, but if you mess up the face and especially the eyes it just kills the entire effort. It's a cheap toy at that point and not a work of serious art.
Compared to what we are seeing from XM studio's SS cannot justify increasing their price point. XM Studio is charging more for a reason. 100% quality where as SS quality is declining not improving. Thor makes my 11th SS figure and I have a few others on order after that I will be be focusing on XM studio figures unless SS can start really getting it right.

TDWright.jpg

TDWleft.jpg

I had to repaint his freaking eyes. I couldn't take it anymore.

Last edited:
I had to repaint his freaking eyes. I couldn't take it anymore.

Nice work Fremen, that certainly looks better then the factory job on mine. Like I said I like the comiquette otherwise so I'll touch up the eye's myself when I have the time.

Keep in mind, i'm not a painter and was using my liquid eyeliner brush, which is a little too thick, to paint this. Looks fine
when it's not blown up so large.

There are decals that you can buy that some people use to fix the eyes on these statues. They seem to really like them and I guess it's not that hard
to do. I had a hell of a time doing this and I would never try if the eyes didn't bother me so much.

This is how he looked before.

Last edited:
as weird as it sounds it bothers me that the statue doesn't lean forward like in the promo pics. as it stands right now with him just standing straight up the pose seems awkward.

If I can live with the eyes I wont return it - if they are messed up like a few I have seen, it will have to go back! How can they do a sculpt like that then give him lazy eyes, just doesn't make sense!

I opened mine today and the eyes turned out pretty well. I really like this statue overall. The body and base sculpt and paint are really well done. My only issue was a big paint chip on the Thor hammer which I have contacted Sideshow about.

thor hammer.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

I received mine as well. I love this piece. It's not perfect but there are some subtleties about it that are a vast improvement over the original. The cape is excellent as are the hands and hammer.

Look I get it, if you zoom in really hard and expose it with a ton of light straight forward the eye seems a crap ton worse than it really is in full view in person. This statue is meant to be at an angle to capture the entire pose of him gauging an enemy slightly to his left to lay the hammer down. I'd say that the neck is a tad long but of course it is going to look goofy without the cape.

You put this in a normal lighted room, in a collection area and tilt it in the way it is best to be displayed with him facing the right and it's a phenomenal piece in my opinion. The hair, the armor... all of this is being overlooked by the fact that if you closeup on any statue it has flaws. Especially for a human interpretation of a character. It's not Hot Toys level face sculpt but thats a different medium.

I was more than willing to return this if it didnt meet my expectations. This is above and beyond the best movie representation they've done of an actual human Marvel character.

Futzing with the cape will be a blast but I hope to master it.

It gives me actual hope for the Loki.

If you're not a fan of this and have your beef with it then I in no way, shape or form doubt your tastes nor discredit your opinion. Art is always subjective. This statue is heavy and the base is flawless and I'm a fan of the overall medium in which SSC performed on this statue.

My only issue is I think SSC forgot to include my lightning. They added the extra hammer but I will contact them tomorrow and get a replacement.

The eyes looked crossed to me from across the room. I can't handle that. I want to display him facing forward.
I still think this is a really nice PF. I just need one where the eyes are placed better then the one I got.

Back