Thor: Ragnarok (November 3rd, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change Sakaar to something else, erase Korg and Miek, replace Hulk with Beta Ray Bill... You get the idea.
It was a perfect oportunity to introduce BRB. He's so much cooler that both movie Hulk and pseudo-Valkyrie.
Also, replace pseudo-Valkyrie on pseudo-Sakaar with Sif on Asgard (instead of pointless Heimdall) and tease the spark between her and BRB during final battle.
So much missed opportunities in one movie... It physically hurts me to think about this.

Just got back from it, eeh.
Don't care enough to rate it, nor rank it, MCUs are all the same, save for one or 2, doesn't matter what spot give them.

I really liked the action, best superpowered action in the MCU, terrible humor, CGI, and cinematography. Actors barely tried to stay in character.
Hela was hot as ****, and nicas only catching up to that :lol random Valkyrie chick that isn't the real Valkyrie because real Valkyrie dies on-screen was occasionally hot.
Whoever said this was Kirby-esque. No. Some visual cues at Sakaar, but that's about it. Incidentally, only good visual was Hela coming out of the Bifrost.

90 something at RT huh? Way to make numbers meaningless.
And I had no expectations, I was hyped, I was fully open to this. Yikes.
9ea.gif

See my post above and yes you should be jealous and envious of my powers lol

I literally addressed your post before you even posted it lol.

Btw i’m not a hater of TDW like most are.

I think you me and kara are the only 3 that find some good in it BUT Thor 3 is exactly how I want my Thor to be visually presented.

Put me on the list too. I would've liked a little more out of Malekith, but I really liked pt. 2.

Thor's characterization in parts 1 & 2 vastly greater than his characterization in Ragnarok. Thor's action sequences in Ragnarok are better than the former

I found the humor and whimsical attitude of the film consistent with Watiki's other films, as well as fellow New Zealander Peter Jackson. Culturally, their humor is generally sweeter and simpler than American or British humor, which is maybe why the comedy didn't work for me. I also thought the emphasis on comedy sapped the emotional drama out of the movie. I admire Marvel for taking risks with new directors, but in this case it was a bad fit.

Basically how I feel.

Man I just got done watching every review from every Youtube critic that I tend to agree with or at least know where they are coming from and they all love it so much..

They all love Korg.. I am going to chalk up my hate for him due to my love of Planet Hulk. plus I just did not think he was funny.

They all think the humor is great, they think its such a fun film, they just fully enjoyed it..

I feel so left out :lol

Oh I was thinking more about Cate Blanchett's role.. Ya know if she was not so darn hot in the role she was just another bad Marvel villain. I mean picture that same part but with a female elf creature from Thor 2.. You end up with another worthless villain... Cate's hotness made me think she was better then she was.

:(

Change Sakaar to something else, erase Korg and Miek, replace Hulk with Beta Ray Bill... You get the idea.
It was a perfect oportunity to introduce BRB. He's so much cooler that both movie Hulk and pseudo-Valkyrie.
Also, replace pseudo-Valkyrie on pseudo-Sakaar with Sif on Asgard (instead of pointless Heimdall) and tease the spark between her and BRB during final battle.
So much missed opportunities in one movie... It physically hurts me to think about this.

Yeah but if you left the same story line and humor in the film then all you have is new characters in the same crappy movie :(

Edit:

Ok Ya know after thinking about it some more.. I may have enjoyed the film more...

Part of my issue is without question is knowing I will never get another standalone Hulk film in the MCU... So I am stuck with hoping they do some good with him in the other films... AOU failed as he got nothing to do at the end of the film and basically just got his but kicked by Hulkbuster in the middle..

This film promised a buddy film but it never really delivered.. Hulk basically got nothing to do at the end and got his butt licked by Thor in the middle... Just like AOU Hulk was nothing but an after thought.

So yes there is a great amount of frustration there for me because of that... So I may have been able to enjoy the rest of THor a little more.. BUT I still did not like the humor that was used all that much.

AOU IMO would suck even without Hulk so I am not sure Thor would be much better for me... But I am without question frustrated with how the treat Hulk

After a pretty good standalone TIH film, where they got his personality right IMO, and the Original Avengers, where they really nailed his strength and power as well as well as doing a good job with Banner. Marvel has just bumbled and crapped all over HULK.

Nothing in the past two films he has appeared in makes me think he is the strongest Avenger and really they have turned him into a character that has no reason to be in the films as they would be the same movie without him.

Last edited:
Yeah but if you left the same story line and humor in the film then all you have is new characters in the same crappy movie :(
You didn't read my old posts then. :lol

Comedy in this was garbage.
2 or 3 jokes were funny but underplayed, like the "trippy introduction" chair and Twhor screaming.

___

THOR was a risk.
They tried to make it magical but a bit grounded. They tried to make it oldschool but modernised.
It wasn't a hit because they were still afraid to go full oldschool with the story. Because of that human characters were worthless edgy gags for young adults, Warriors Three were worthless background cartoons, etc.

So of course after that they were even more afraid to take risks and only responded to "it was funny tho" comments.
THOR 2 was less magical, less dramatic, more humorose and with worthless character death and a stupid twist.
People didn't like it. But hey! AT LEAST IT WAS FUNNY, right?

THOR 3.
Zero risks taken, zero drama, comedy director, GotG style marketing.
Seals in chairs clappin' like crazy over flashy images and funnies.
R.I.P. Marvel Comics Thor on a big screen.

The biggest risk was already turning a dark story into a straight up comedy.

Rip thor?
Its his third movie just like IM and Cap which will also make more than his previous 2 films. (No I dont cate anout that but the studio definitely does) He's already in IW. And just like the main avengers its uncertain if they will even return after phase 4.

Weather you like it or not they took the least fav avenger and "rebranded" him.

I understand not liking a movie but damn lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I may have missed this but...

Spoiler Spoiler:

I don't recall anything. I completely forgot about her actually.

Holy crap I forgot about her as well.

A casting disruption can mean only one thing....invasion.

Ehhh or maybe just one of these 3 things:

1. Marvel refused to pay her what she wanted.
2. Her schedule was booked.
3. She’s about to file a sexual harassment complaint against someone at Marvel.

I’ll go with # 1 lol

But like a-dev said I completely forgot about her.

Personally, I loved it. I laughed my ass off throughout 90% of the movie. Goldblum’s a ****ing treasure and I was nearly in tears whenever Korg was on screen. Waititi’s humor just connected with me. I also was enthralled with each of the action scenes. Now, for me, the true measure of a good comedy is how it holds up upon repeat viewings, which I guess l’ll begin to find out Sunday when I head in for Round 2.

At the end of the day, though, nothing is more subjective than comedy, so, I can totally understand why it’s getting the “love/hate” reactions that it is, because we can’t help what we think is funny. Since this movie is, basically, a two hour bombardment of joke after joke, if they fall flat, it’s gonna suck.

LOL may see you at the theater I'm goin' again Sunday too.

Not saying there are no flaws (or what I think of as flaws), or IMO lapses in logic, blah blah. But I can't think of an MCU film - probably no film - where I couldn't go "but what about????"
For me it's not just because IMO the film is genuinely hilarious. The acting is great; the interchanges between the characters is great....

Spoiler Spoiler:

Scenes I just want to freeze-frame. The colors. Yep, can't wait to see it again. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do (and re some interviews and even the 7-minutes of "extra" footage w. Taika began to get on my nerves - felt like "yeah, yeah, quit goofing off, yeah yeah, you had fun w. your bro in Australia, I get it...")

Now I think Taika hides a lot of genius in public.
Pretty good interview and now I hope the BR is STUFFED with extras.
https://collider.com/taika-waititi-thor-ragnarok-interview/#images

@ JAWS.

I read all of your excellent posts (I always look forward to your thoughts) and I agree 100% about your problems with how they’re presenting the Hulk and I mentioned my gripes against him in one of my reviews.

He was tragically nerfed, underused, suffered from a conflicting arc and was a tad too short in height in this movie.

Still not enough to ruin the movie for me though.

Regarding the humor wearing off well we all know that humor is the most subjective of all emotions so what doesn’t work for you might make the next person laugh like crazy.

The humor in this movie worked on me much better than the humor in GOTG 1 and GOTG 2 although I felt the humor improved in GOTG 2.

GOTG 1 humor felt forced while in Thor 3 it felt more natural to me.

I absolutely loved Korg his relaxed demeanor and interpretation of events felt very charming and unique.

I also had no problems with the action set pieces if anything I thought they were one of the strengths of the movie.

Well my dear friend I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy it as much as I did.

But hey at least it’s better than Kong lol.

Last edited:
You didn't read my old posts then. :lol

Comedy in this was garbage.
2 or 3 jokes were funny but underplayed, like the "trippy introduction" chair and Twhor screaming.

___

THOR was a risk.
They tried to make it magical but a bit grounded. They tried to make it oldschool but modernised.
It wasn't a hit because they were still afraid to go full oldschool with the story. Because of that human characters were worthless edgy gags for young adults, Warriors Three were worthless background cartoons, etc.

So of course after that they were even more afraid to take risks and only responded to "it was funny tho" comments.
THOR 2 was less magical, less dramatic, more humorose and with worthless character death and a stupid twist.
People didn't like it. But hey! AT LEAST IT WAS FUNNY, right?

THOR 3.
Zero risks taken, zero drama, comedy director, GotG style marketing.
Seals in chairs clappin' like crazy over flashy images and funnies.
R.I.P. Marvel Comics Thor on a big screen.

Er, just sayin' successful comedy is one of the hardest things to do - even Elizabeth Olsen had commented on Hemsworth's ability to do comic timing, saying she couldn't do it.

Listening to the Taika Collider interview (https://collider.com/taika-waititi-thor-ragnarok-interview/#images) just seems like between (apparently) Hemsworth talking to Feige, and Taika being hired (Hollywood Reporter said actually ~10 directors had been considered) the choice to make Thor 3 lighter was pretty deliberate. And looking at Marvel's slate, since Marvel plans its universe - they probably felt they needed that humor since Coogler had said he was going "darker, grittier". Then there's fans screaming for blood in Infinity War. The way the releases are, that's 2 "dark" movies in a row being released.

Marvel's had lots of "flashy" images - not sure what you mean by that. But I like the color palettes in this film, overall. I liked the effects - as CGI goes, SW (TFA) is better, but IMO what I saw in IMAX 3D was pretty d@mn good to outright gorgeous a lot of the time.

Really am sorry for the Thor (and Spidey) fans who didn't get the Thor (or Spidey) they wanted. But IMO these are good, well-made films made by directors who gave a d@mn and I think it shows w. the end products. Also, Mark Ruffalo has already said in IW1 & 2 the Hulk has an arc; and it's the Russos handling Infinity Wars. So I hope for the unhappy Thor/Hulk fans there's something for them in IW.

Holy crap I forgot about her as well.

A casting disruption can mean only one thing....invasion.

Ehhh or maybe just one of these 3 things:

1. Marvel refused to pay her what she wanted.
2. Her schedule was booked.
3. She’s about to file a sexual harassment complaint against someone at Marvel.

I’ll go with # 1 lol

But like a-dev said I completely forgot about her.

Her schedule was booked, actually. So she may show up at some point. Easy enough to say she was elsewhere when Asgard fell.

I'm a comic and movie Thor fan , but let's be serious here, we can't have a serious Movie Thor, no one will want to watch the movie!

I did like how Loki
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
@ JAWS.

I read all of your excellent posts (I always look forward to your thoughts) and I agree 100% about your problems with how they’re presenting the Hulk and I mentioned my gripes against him in one of my reviews.

He was tragically nerfed, underused, suffered from a conflicting arc and was a tad too short in height in this movie.

Still not enough to ruin the movie for me though.

Regarding the humor wearing off well we all know that humor is the most subjective of all emotions so what doesn’t work for you might make the next person laugh like crazy.

The humor in this movie worked on me much better than the humor in GOTG 1 and GOTG 2 although I felt the humor improved in GOTG 2.

GOTG 1 humor felt forced while in Thor 3 it felt more natural to me.

I absolutely loved Korg his relaxed demeanor and interpretation of events felt very charming and unique.

I also had no problems with the action set pieces if anything I thought they were one of the strengths of the movie.

Well my dear friend I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy it as much as I did.

But hey at least it’s better than Kong lol.

I agree about Humor being subjective... But I also know that slapstick tends to wear off quicker then most forms of comedy.

For example

Banner falling on his face is funny because it is a shock and unexpected, so the next time it is viewed it will be less effective. Once you see and know Banner will fall flat on his face how many more times can you laugh at it??

Now lets take the biggest laugh in the Avengers. Hulk smashing Loki is shocking and funny but at the same time it;s cool as hell so it does not have to continue to be shocking and funny to be enjoyed.. Plus there is a good movie wrapped around it.

Also the greatest comedies are a bit more intelligent and far more quotable then what I thought this film had to offer.. Now that does not mean I am right since its just an opinion and comedy is subjective.. But you know I am ;) ;) ;) J/K

I was not the biggest Guardians fan either... I warmed up to that one a little more after I watched it with my kids who loved it... Neither of them really liked Thor so now I have no where to go :(

Maybe a directors cut with some great Hulk moments added back in :lol

Next is Justice League... Then Star Wars... See you in those threads :)

I agree about Humor being subjective... But I also know that slapstick tends to wear off quicker then most forms of comedy.

For example

Banner falling on his face is funny because it is a shock and unexpected, so the next time it is viewed it will be less effective. Once you see and know Banner will fall flat on his face how many more times can you laugh at it??

Now lets take the biggest laugh in the Avengers. Hulk smashing Loki is shocking and funny but at the same time it;s cool as hell so it does not have to continue to be shocking and funny to be enjoyed.. Plus there is a good movie wrapped around it.

Also the greatest comedies are a bit more intelligent and far more quotable then what I thought this film had to offer.. Now that does not mean I am right since its just an opinion and comedy is subjective.. But you know I am ;) ;) ;) J/K

I was not the biggest Guardians fan either... I warmed up to that one a little more after I watched it with my kids who loved it... Neither of them really liked Thor so now I have no where to go :(

Maybe a directors cut with some great Hulk moments added back in :lol

Next is Justice League... Then Star Wars... See you in those threads :)

Well please don’t be a stranger and disappear into those snobby polystone threads and come review movies every once in awhile lol

I’ll let you know my new thoughts on Thor 3 after my 2nd viewing tonight.

Look at IT it fell apart for me on my 2nd viewing.

Don’t get me started on The Force Awakens that’s truly a complicated tale lol.

I don't recall anything. I completely forgot about her actually.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Put me on the list too. I would've liked a little more out of Malekith, but I really liked pt. 2.

Thor's characterization in parts 1 & 2 vastly greater than his characterization in Ragnarok. Thor's action sequences in Ragnarok are better than the former

Yeah, add me to the list.. I'm one of the rare people who likes Thor movies, but doesn't really like Cap.. although Winter Soldier was a very good action thriller type movie, I just find him in general to be an out of date ****** to have as a modern day protagonist, and although I'm not a comic reader, he just seems to be getting progressively too over powered on screen to me and too much of a MCU poster boy.

Back