Thinking about quitting this hobby.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive quit cigarettes so i know all about it. what i dont understand would be me posting a thread about my quitting cigarettes and expecting some ground breaking solution in it. people are going to tell me to stop putting cigs in my mouth and good luck. and for the most part, they'd be right. thats the only solution.

This is a completely different argument than what you previous set forth. If you "understand" addiction then you wouldn't say something as simple and ignorant as:

technically anything you dont want to stop doing is an addiction then by your definition. i must be addicted to chipotle burritos and sleeping.

I'm sure quitting cigarrettes for you was a lot harder than quitting Chipotle would be.

Whether the guy should whine about it or make it public? I can't presume his motives.

This is a completely different argument than what you previous set forth. If you "understand" addiction then you wouldn't say something as simple and ignorant as:

I'm sure quitting cigarrettes for you was a lot harder than quitting Chipotle would be.

Whether the guy should whine about it or make it public? I can't presume his motives.

well, i dont have issue with the OP. he was just venting, and thats all well and good. but NCC sumthin sumthin was telling people that their advice wasnt so simple because its an addiction. ill debate whether or not i agree with that, but what other advice would you expect in a thread like this? their is no advice that NCC whatever would accept as viable. there is only one solution, and thats for the OP to stop buying. thats the solution. easy, hard, indifferent, it is what it is. WHY its hard is indifferent, the solution remains the same.

and i wouldnt be so sure. im still eating burritos :rotfl

It isn't an addiction if they don't want to stop. That's just run-of-the-mill lack of discipline. It isn't a result of addiction. It is a result of being a child. No different than my 4-year-old son that fusses when we tell him "no". If "no" makes you fussy, then immaturity is the problem.

The cure isn't breaking an addiction ... the cure is growing up.

SnakeDoc

Sure, sure, I get it, so there's no such thing as psychological addiction, especially when you can say to yourself, "I can stop anytime I want to... I just have to grow up." :lol

It isn't an addiction if they don't want to stop. That's just run-of-the-mill lack of discipline. It isn't a result of addiction. It is a result of being a child. No different than my 4-year-old son that fusses when we tell him "no". If "no" makes you fussy, then immaturity is the problem.

The cure isn't breaking an addiction ... the cure is growing up.

SnakeDoc

I don't agree or disagree here, but I need to know, who/what are you referring to when you say "don't want to stop"?

How are you determine the difference? Maybe its obvious for you, but not for me. Do they have to say it clearly and in a certain way? Can't the "want" to stop be hidden behind the momentary ecstasy or pleasure that the activity is providing?

well, i dont have issue with the OP. he was just venting, and thats all well and good. but NCC sumthin sumthin was telling people that their advice wasnt so simple because its an addiction. ill debate whether or not i agree with that, but what other advice would you expect in a thread like this? their is no advice that NCC whatever would accept as viable. there is only one solution, and thats for the OP to stop buying. thats the solution. easy, hard, indifferent, it is what it is. WHY its hard is indifferent, the solution remains the same.

and i wouldnt be so sure. im still eating burritos :rotfl

I think you are grossly confusing the end result with the process necessary to get there.

"Just quit" isn't a solution. Thats the end result of the solution. BIG difference.

If you said "my leg is broken" and I said "heal it" would you consider that a solution? :lol

I think you are grossly confusing the end result with the process necessary to get there.

"Just quit" isn't a solution. Thats the end result of the solution. BIG difference.

If you said "my leg is broken" and I said "heal it" would you consider that a solution? :lol

more like you said - i broke my leg and i cant stop kicking this wall

we said stop kicking the wall.

<<A few of you guys are internalizing this thread way too much.>>

How sad.

A few posters in this thread, as well as in some other threads, have openly admitted to being addicted to buying toys, and what a problem this is for them.

This is an expression of frustration and a call for help.

Some others who perhaps recognize this in themselves become defensive and go into denial, as evidenced by their attempts to trivialize the problem and even insult those who brought up the issue. That's fine, they have every right to fool themselves—and the real harm that this does is to themselves and their own.

Obviously the only real solution to the problem is to simply stop buying toys out of control. But if one cannot even acknowledge that there is a problem there, one will continue to feed the addiction.

Having necro-posted in this thread, PM88 is conspicuous in his absence from this discussion. He received a number of responses, ranging from helpful advice to dismissive contempt - and yet rather than engage with the former, he's done the passive-aggressive retreat in response to the latter, leaving folks who don't have a problem to discuss the nature of addiction and what might be done about it. Waste of time imo, and PM88 must be sitting back chuckling that he can now add another notch to his troll tally.

See, only my initial response in this thread was really for the OP anyway. Gave him whatever advice I could. Apologize and get help.

My other posts are because I think this is a worthy and interesting discussion that could well benefit any number of people beyond the OP.

Having necro-posted in this thread, PM88 is conspicuous in his absence from this discussion. He received a number of responses, ranging from helpful advice to dismissive contempt - and yet rather than engage with the former, he's done the passive-aggressive retreat in response to the latter, leaving folks who don't have a problem to discuss the nature of addiction and what might be done about it. Waste of time imo, and PM88 must be sitting back chuckling that he can now add another notch to his troll tally.

:exactly: ...chuckling and having a good laugh together with his newly acquired Indy :lol

Predatormaniac88 is a joke, the guy claims to have a problem and on top of all of it he admits to stealing money from his parents to pay for his collecting, and then he takes any advice as an insult. I checked his last posts and he's showing off his new Hot Toys Indiana Jones figure that he just got today:slap How much pride can you have when you purchased a collectible with money that was stolen from your parents? I guess the advice isn't working. I wonder how old this guy is? Reason am asking is if the guy is 12-18 I would understrand, but I have a feeling this guy is just an idiot.

yes and i'm an idiot lol so what, why you even care?, mind your own business and your advice means nothing :)

Last edited:
lol if you can't tell i'm trolling your an idiot :nana:
and i'm joking btw I made this up, I don't even live my parents, the only thing I wasn't joking about was the addiction part, I can't buying figures and I don't steal.

Trolling or not I can't imagine anyone is going to want to sell anything to you from this board. :lol

lol if you can't tell i'm trolling your an idiot :nana:

tumblr_lfrijvOKUu1qd595n.gif

I may have to quit this old printer of mine and eventually buy a new one. Unfortunately/fortunately, I still have a few ink left. Should I buy a new printer and temporarily quitting this hobby? Clearly not an addiction but I will eventually have to make a decision.

yes and i'm an idiot lol so what, why you even care?, mind your own business and your advice means nothing :)

I have one last piece of advice for you, since you can't even put together a complete sentence, the job possibilities for an uneducated guy like you are going to be limited. Now listen careful and put down the mountain dew, cheeto's and Taco Bell for a brief minute and listen up to the last piece of advice I well ever give to you, eventually your parents are going to throw your worthless ass out, since you won't be able to obtain any employment you'll become homeless, at first you well be forced to sell all your collectibles to live, now here's the advice, when you sell your collectibles you better keep all the Sideshow and Hot Toys boxes, you're going to need them to build the cardboard box that you'll be living in for the rest of your life, so you better double and triple box that baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back