Thinking about quitting this hobby.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly, not the case. Of course it's a matter of self-control. The point is few people do have self-control. Hence, the term: ADDICTION. Otherwise there would be no overweight people or people who cannot stop spending money on plastic toys. You can't just say to someone, "you must have self-control," and expect the waters to part and the problem to go away.

What's your point again? :dunno

Oh that it's too hard. :violin

Inertia is a powerful force in collecting. Sometimes we do things simply because "I've been doing this for -- years, it would be a shame to break this collection"

I'm a long time comic collector but last year took a sabbatical. I had reached the point where nothing in my pull bag was all that great and I was rarely reading everything I purchased. Since my break began DC has done their New 52 and I'm sure Joe Q has done plenty of stupid crap at Marvel. I'm just not missing it as much as I thought I would.

Sometimes just taking a break from collecting gives you a sense of perspective.

What's your point again? :dunno

Take a look around this forum. The point is few people do have self-control. Hence, the term: ADDICTION. Otherwise there would be no overweight people or people who cannot stop spending money on plastic toys. You can't just say to someone, "you must have self-control," and expect the waters to part and the problem to go away. Maybe in a utopian world. :peace

Take a look around this forum. The point is few people do have self-control. Hence, the term: ADDICTION. Otherwise there would be no overweight people or people who cannot stop spending money on plastic toys. You can't just say to someone, "you must have self-control," and expect the waters to part and the problem to go away. Maybe in a utopian world.

You must have very little self control in real life. We aren't talking about world peace here. We're talking about curbing ones spending habits. So anything you say is just to justify a lazy weak-ass attitude. Your position is indefensible, so don't bother. :lol

You must have very little self control in real life. We aren't talking about world peace here. We're talking about curbing ones spending habits. So anything you say is just to justify a lazy weak-ass attitude. Your position is indefensible, so don't bother. :lol

Well, wrong again. I was never talking about myself. I own very few "toys." And I buy way less than you, I'm certain. I'm talking about the majority of the people here. Read my posts again. The sheer volume of people with addictions in this world and in these threads specifically proves you wrong. So, project your "lazy weak-ass attitude" onto someone else.

Having a good read of this thread is hilarious reading.

People treating wilfully buying expensive figures as true addiction. Like it's heroin or something. Laughable.

Now, I AM truly addicted but that's only because all the figures I buy are dipped in syrup and then dusted with cocaine.

Having a good read of this thread is hilarious reading.

People treating wilfully buying expensive figures as true addiction. Like it's heroin or something. Laughable.

Now, I AM truly addicted but that's only because all the figures I buy are dipped in syrup and then dusted with cocaine.

This post proves my previous point well. It's not an addiction when you can stop anytime, right? :wink1:

Look. If your point is that addiction isn't a 1-2-3 and you're FREE proposition, you're right. But that doesn't negate the reality that it all comes down to choice Simple day-to-day choices. You make enough of the same choice over a period of time you have a habit. It's a learned behavior. Knowing it's a learned behavior, you can also un-learn it. It's the culture of victimization and it's a lie.

Again I am not sure exactly sure what you have brought to the conversation but weak justifications and baiting.

Look. If your point is that addiction isn't a 1-2-3 and you're FREE proposition, you're right. But that doesn't negate the reality that it all comes down to choice Simple day-to-day choices. You make enough of the same choice over a period of time you have a habit. It's a learned behavior. Knowing it's a learned behavior, you can also un-learn it. It's the culture of victimization and it's a lie.

Again I am not sure exactly sure what you have brought to the conversation but weak justifications and baiting.

I see. So, "just stop doing it," brings strong "justifications to the conversation." And that should end it, right? OK!

what I do with my money isn't your concern and I don't know why you knock on what others buy with theirs

Hit a nerve, did I? I must have hit close to home. But I don't recall mentioning you at all or what you do with your money! Nevertheless, I surrender, Cap'n! Since you brought it up, I think you should spend your bottom penny on plastic toys! :yess:

Last edited:
I give up. What is the solution? Besides your "brilliant solution" of labeling people as having "lazy weak-ass attitudes," I mean.

more to the point - if it is an addiction, and just stopping isnt a possibility, then this thread is essentially worthless.

sometimes lack of self control is just that. doesnt make it an addiction. ill put it like this - my girlfriend doesnt want to get fat. but she doesnt want to exercise. and she doesnt want to stop eating cookies. is she addicted to cookies, or just unwilling to put in the work to keep from getting fat? cause she says she doesnt want to be fat (and lord knows, i dont want her to be fat either :lol ), but if she's unwilling to change anything, then its just empty complaining. dont complain to me about things your unwilling to attempt to change.

i want to play the guitar. if i dont want to spend the time to learn, then i obviously dont really want to play as i say i do. things take hard work sometimes. self control is most certainly one of the toughest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back