Thinking about quitting this hobby.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sence collect what you like, collect lines your stuck with aload of so so figures

For the most part I limit myself to a theme that I have a passion for or I have a personal attachment to; especially from childhood. For me this is Star Trek the original series and or other classic sci-fi stuff from the 50s, 60s and 70s. I also have an interest in law enforcement so I'm hot on pre-ordering the new RoboCop statue/PF from Enterbay if and when it appears on the horizon. That's pretty much it! I don't get trapped hoarding stuff that just "looks really cool" or "hot," or I just have a passing interest in. By the same token, if I find myself losing interest in something I will try to sell it. Who needs it! Clear the space out!

In the one and a half years of collecting Hot Toys Ive been lucky enough to limit myself to one version of each character I like. Sure Id like all the Ironman figs and every Batman figure and every predator and every Avengers figure however I feel as though they would just overpopulate my display(when I actully get one set up). No need for every version of any HT character for me. I think I will enjoy a smaller display of kick ass figures more than a large display of kick ass and mediocre figures. Also every time you buy the 2nd,third,fourth version of any character,your interest/love for that character is getting divided up, the purity of that "iconic character" gets dilluted. Dunno just my thoughts. But I DO love seeing others humongo collections,many nice ones in this forum.

Dont need to quit hobbY just limit yourself with collecting like Particular on License, Main Characters, Comic Line, Scale....n focus on these priorities

I don't know. This thread is about quiting....so someone should quit! :D

As for me, well I succeeded in cutting back. Only must have of 2 on PO atm.

I have been in this hobby only for a short period, and have come to realize that space and money is limited (not too mention all those friggin shipping boxes that I keep for transport)
I have about 30 1/6th, but will no longer continue with this scale.
PF/maquette's are my favorite, so that is now my focus along with some studio scale replicas and a few iconic props. All the stuff I buy is based on my favorite movies.
I don't buy if I don't like the movie/character, even if the collectible looks cool.
You must abandon the completist attitude. My 2cents

Instead of quitting better to limit yourself what do u say friends??
Limitation according to scale and fav character

Yeah its kinda boring all the releases how about some vincent & jules from pulp fiction

heh or perhaps a dr.evil with mr.bigglesworth and chair, and evil pinky hand

I hate quitters.

I don't care what others do, what I don't understand is why people have to announce their intentions here, who cares! go and quit the hobby, I have know problem with that, to each his own, but the fact that people on here always start treads that need the approval of others that they well never meet and don't even live in the same city or country is a mystery to me. Be your won man and live your life for yourself, why anyone would need approval of their opinions from individuals that they don't know personally is just plain stupid. A huge majority of collectors here only feel satisfied if other collectors give them a thumbs up. Kind of sad.

I don't care what others do, what I don't understand is why people have to announce their intentions here, who cares! go and quit the hobby, I have know problem with that, to each his own, but the fact that people on here always start treads that need the approval of others that they well never meet and don't even live in the same city or country is a mystery to me. Be your won man and live your life for yourself, why anyone would need approval of their opinions from individuals that they don't know personally is just plain stupid. A huge majority of collectors here only feel satisfied if other collectors give them a thumbs up. Kind of sad.

Wow you said it bro. :clap but to be fair sometimes it's good to posts just to get someone's advice if someone is undecided for them shelf. Its a good place to get ideas.

Wow you said it bro. :clap but to be fair sometimes it's good to posts just to get someone's advice if someone is undecided for them shelf. Its a good place to get ideas.

Which is I'm sure all that was intended. If I was making a thread like this I wouldn't be seeking peoples 'go ahead' and approval but looking for ideas on how to resist temptations (although no longer coming to the site would be the best way!)

I'm not looking to quit but to cut back - best thing to do I've found so far is to just stop going into certain threads no matter if they're the only threads on the forum with activity at a given time. And sell stuff - create scenarios where you can say 'well, no point buying that since I sold the other one'.

If anything it should send a message that people are getting fed up and are not going to keep paying ridiculous prices for substandard quality and gimmicky rehashes to the manufacturers and that they need to listen to collectors' demands if they want to maintain their business. It's clear that due to mass cancellations that businesses like Sideshow are beginning to feel the pinch of losing customers and sales and stuff is taking longer to sell out of their warehouse which is why they are now offering low monthly flex payments on $200 figures while other resellers are selling for less. There has to be a balance between cost and quality otherwise there will be no limit to what they keep charging (Enterbay is already up to $400) and it just creates more apathy among collectors and is bad for the hobby.

Has anyone here had this experience...

I figured this was just a mood i was in last night, but it carried over to today.

For some reason i looked around my room and felt that i just had too much collectibles and they all just weren't worth it, space has been a concern before but never a 'need to stop' concern more of a 'i need a new cabinet concern' and i never felt like they weren't worth it.

Nothing has changed but i just feel like something has :confused:

Anyone else get that feeling before?

Has anyone here had this experience...

I figured this was just a mood i was in last night, but it carried over to today.

For some reason i looked around my room and felt that i just had too much collectibles and they all just weren't worth it, space has been a concern before but never a 'need to stop' concern more of a 'i need a new cabinet concern' and i never felt like they weren't worth it.

Nothing has changed but i just feel like something has :confused:

Anyone else get that feeling before?

Yes, yesterday when I opened up my DX08 & DX09 figures. As usual, damn nice product but i'm just not getting that overall value excitement anymore. I suppose if they both costed say $300-$320 shipped together my attitude would change but at $517 i'm not sure I see the value in it anymore. It has and never was a question about being able to afford these though.

Sometimes. It doesn't last. You'll very soon crave something new and you're right back in it without ever having even been gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back