The WWE Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets not forget Bill Goldberg's WCW title reign being bought to an end after a year, by Kevin Nash no less, because he was a bigger draw than Nash ever could be....

Nash is a blight to the wrestling world, always has been...

NEVER let him becoming a "booker" in the WWE again...or anywhere else..or the belt will be back round his waist again loosing yet more value by years end...

I think Nash was fairly entertaining as Diesel. His breakout at Royal Rumble 1994 is an extremely memorable PPV, as was his turn on Michaels at Survivor Series 1994. He also had decent matches with Bret Hart at a handful of PPVs. . .not that anyone had bad matches with Bret, but still.

He just should have never been given the kind of power he attained at WCW. There was nothing about him that suggested he would make a good booker. He was a big guy, and could sell some tickets for awhile. But. . .I guess he got great contracts at WCW, but that wasn't because he was even great at negotiation. I saw him talking about the nWo period on WWE Classics recently, and he was saying how clueless WCW execs were, and how willing they were to just throw money and insanely beneficial contracts and he and Hall when they weren't even necessary.

Yeah. I miss it dearly. I used to look forward to tag team matches. You name it...British Bulldogs, Road Warriors, Strike Force, Hart Foundation, Brain Busters, Rockers...all the way to the late 90's/early 00's with the New Age Outlaws, Hardy Boyz, Dudley Boyz, Edge & Christian...Current day tag team wrestling has been put on the back burner for way too long and I really think the product suffers because of it. Hoping for some sort of spark in the division and hoping rumors are true that ROH's Kings of Wrestling have signed or about to sign.

The Midnight Express v. The Rock n Roll Express. :(

I can't imagine ever seeing anything like those tag teams again. The story telling in the ring itself is just not there. The drama of one guy getting the hell beat out of him by the other team, barely missing tags or the ref just not seeing it, then suddenly tagging his partner in, who would then kick some ass! The build up was so cool!

Those matches were so much fun! Now tag team wrestling is used as a vehicle to prep wrestlers for singles competition. I guess Vince feels there's no money in Tag Team wrestling, which is silly. At the height of the 80's era when Hogan was king I would get every bit as excited to see the Road Warriors. They just need to push it a bit! I can still remember around 15 years ago when the division got stale and they pushed the New Age Outlaws. Suddenly tag team wrestling was interesting again!

Hell, Backlund held the WWF belt for 5 years straight or some-such. I think Bruno Sammartino did, as well. And then, many moons later, Backlund wins the title again, only to lose a couple days later to who else, but Kevin Nash, in about 3 seconds. Things come full circle :1-1:

It wasn't even on TV either. He won it at Survivor Series '94 and dropped the belt at a house show to Kevin Nash before the next Raw:lol:lol:lol I never understood why they did things that. If I remember right Bret Hart won his first title by beating Ric Flair at a house show as well.

Last edited:
Bret Hart/Flair is a great match, too.

But on the other side of things, that made wrestling feel a bit more "real" and unpredictable, because anything could happen on any given night. Now, if you see a non-televised live show, there is 0% a title will change hands.

I also remember Razor Ramon and JJ once switching the IC title 3 or 4 times over the span of a week in-between Raws. But it was funny because whoever had it before that week ended up having it at the end, so no one would have been the wiser if McMahon wouldn't have brought it up :lol

Bret Hart/Flair is a great match, too.

But on the other side of things, that made wrestling feel a bit more "real" and unpredictable, because anything could happen on any given night. Now, if you see a non-televised live show, there is 0% a title will change hands.

I also remember Razor Ramon and JJ once switching the IC title 3 or 4 times over the span of a week in-between Raws. But it was funny because whoever had it before that week ended up having it at the end, so no one would have been the wiser if McMahon wouldn't have brought it up :lol

I am guessing he brought it up so the fans at the events where it changed hands would be saying "wtf" if he didn't.:lol I don't know if they still do it, but I know they sometimes used to make them non title matches at house shows so they still could lose and it wouldn't be so predictable.

It wasn't even on TV either. He won it at Survivor Series '94 and dropped the belt at a house show to Kevin Nash before the next Raw:lol:lol:lol I never understood why they did things that. If I remember right Bret Hart won his first title by beating Ric Flair at a house show as well.

I think Edge won the IC title for the first time at a house show... It might have been Jeff Jarrett that he beat? He did show up on Raw with the belt though, so it counted I guess. :lol

Unite the World Heavyweight Championship & WWE Titles!!!

Chris_Jericho__First_Undispute.gif

They need to eliminate the RAW and SMACKDOWN "brands" and unite the two titles-- keep the Intercontinental Title for that up and commer (it's what Alberto Del Rio should have around his waist for a very long time a la Honky Tonk Man) and use the US Title more as a tv title that is defended relatively often on live RAW.

I just looked at their roster (who are some of these yahoos?)

World Title mix

John Cena
CM Punk
Randy Orton

Intercontinental mix

Alberto Del Rio
Christian
John Morrison
Kofi Kingston
Rey Mysterio
R-Truth
Sheamus
The Miz

US Title mix

Alex Riley
Cody Rhodes
Dolph Ziggler
Jack Swagger

Monsters for helping other Pushes (because they've been devalued where they'd be radioactive anywhere near a belt)

Big Show
Kane
Mark Henry

That's a pretty week roster when you combine the TWO "brands". Their creative team is really pathetic.

You're leaving out Daniel Bryan! He's legitimately the best pure wrestler in the company, and deserves the upper-mid card status he's got at the moment IMO. Plus, he already was U.S. champ for awhile (or was it IC?). Sadly, I can't even remember who he lost it to.

I also don't think Alex Riley belongs in any title chase. He's not very good in the ring, and is still living off the fumes of being Miz's protege IMO. I think the fans are starting to realize that he doesn't have real charisma or mike skills.

I don't think Jericho did well last time he showed up as a face. He's made to be a heel, and should come back in that capacity if he comes back at all (I think he will).

As for uniting the titles, McMahon goes back and forth on that. I think HHH united the titles at one point, as well, but then McMahon re-created another title a week or two later and gave it to Brock Lesnar. Or the other way around. Or something. ____'s been so unmemorable in wrestling over the last decade. But making any title seem like it means something seems to me to be a big first step. Until you do that, I suspect that unifying the title won't do too much good.

You're leaving out Daniel Bryan! He's legitimately the best pure wrestler in the company, and deserves the upper-mid card status he's got at the moment IMO. Plus, he already was U.S. champ for awhile (or was it IC?). Sadly, I can't even remember who he lost it to.

I also don't think Alex Riley belongs in any title chase. He's not very good in the ring, and is still living off the fumes of being Miz's protege IMO. I think the fans are starting to realize that he doesn't have real charisma or mike skills.

I don't think Jericho did well last time he showed up as a face. He's made to be a heel, and should come back in that capacity if he comes back at all (I think he will).

As for uniting the titles, McMahon goes back and forth on that. I think HHH united the titles at one point, as well, but then McMahon re-created another title a week or two later and gave it to Brock Lesnar. Or the other way around. Or something. ____'s been so unmemorable in wrestling over the last decade. But making any title seem like it means something seems to me to be a big first step. Until you do that, I suspect that unifying the title won't do too much good.

Like I said earlier, I only started watching again recently. I have no idea who most of the young guys are-- except that I haven't been impressed with any of them and they're all clones without any hint of personality-- from my perspective. That's a sad comment on creative that these guys can't stand out from the crowd.

Bryan isn't a real charismatic guy, though he's improving on the mike. His previous ring name was Bryan Danielson, and he made a big name for himself on the indie scene for many years, becoming one of the major Ring of Honor champions (probably their 2nd most noteworthy champ after Samoa Joe, who is wasting away in TNA). I think he's got the same skill set as, say, a Bret Hart. And if he gets used in the right way he could make a legit title contender at some point.

He sticks to Smackdown, and is usually involved in the best televised match of the week against guys like Cody Rhodes and Tyson Kidd (who also has major wrestling chops, but hasn't had an opportunity to develop a real personality in WWE).

WWE Creative is an oxymoron.

Then I can only assume you are including that wonderful mid-90s period in WWF with the Godwins, Body Donnas, Smoking Gunns, Men on a Mission, Sparky Plug and 1-2-3 Kid, the "New" Rockers of Lief Cassidy (Al Snow) and Marty Jannetty, Headbangers, the "gang" feuds of Los Baricuas, Disciples of Apocalypse, etc.

:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

On the other hand, that period did also give us Owen/Bulldog and Mankind/Vader, which were two tag teams made in heaven IMO.

A lot of those teams were pretty cool actually so yeah. However the golden era for tag teams were the wwf in the 1980's

I doubt Cody Rhodes would be pushed if Dusty didnt work for the company.He is too small.They push him and job out Goldust.Goldust is twice the wrestler that his brother is.Btw The World Title was brought back (the WCW title)and given to Triple H when Brock took the WWE title to Smackdown.

Back