The Wolverine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Wolverine 2

Doesn't need to be a reboot. We know everything we ever wanted (and didn't want) to know about Wolverine's origin. As long as it doesn't cover that again, it's just another Wolverine movie.

Well, so far I hear good thing about this director and I hope the script will be on point. As long as this movie can make me forget Origins, I guess I will be good.

Yeah I love Jackman in this role. If you check out what he had to say about Origins before and during shooting it really didn't turn out to be the kind of movie he seemed to want for the character. Whether it be studio interference or a weak director, it just turned out to be mediocre Hollywood junk food.
I'm not the biggest Aranofsky fan but at least we can be ptretty sure we're gonna get something different.

Earlier this week, ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype spoke with director Darren Aronofsky about his intense psychological thriller Black Swan starring Natalie Portman, and while we didn't have a ton of time, we did get to squeeze in a few quick questions about the filmmaker's next project, reuniting with Hugh Jackman for The Wolverine.

Easily one of the coolest filmmakers we've chatted with, Aronofsky had long been wanting to do a new movie based on the long-running Japanese manga series "Lone Wolf and Cub" by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima, and being that The Wolverine is based on the Frank Miller mini-series and is mainly set in Japan, we wondered whether he might be able to get some of what he wanted to do with that movie out of his system with the new Wolverine flick.

"There's all the samurai elements that are really exciting," he told us. "I'm a big fan of Japanese movies, we're going to try to have a good time." Aronofsky confirmed that he'll be casting a lot of Japanese actors, but is still unsure whether they'll be speaking in Japanese or English. "It's still under discussion, we'll see what happens," he said about that.

Not everyone was a fan of Gavin Hood's previous movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which partly suffered from nearly half a dozen writers (not all credited) being involved with the screenplay, but clearly, this movie should be different going by what we were told. "Chris McQuarrie wrote a great screenplay. We're trying to get it into a slightly better place but he's working on it, and I think it'll be easy to fix. Chris is an amazing writer and I'm very lucky to have him as a collaborator."

The thing to remember is that Aronofsky's main focus for the next three months will be making sure people go to see his new movie Black Swan, and because of that, he hasn't spent a lot of time on developing The Wolverine just yet. "Literally, we haven't even started to gear up. I'm at the same studio and the film comes out December 3, so they know I'm busy until then," he said. A press release from 20th Century Fox about their new deal with Aronofsky's production company Protozoa stated that filming would start in April.

Our one less-than-subtle attempt to find out if Liev Schreiber might make a cameo as Sabretooth, something we asked the actor about earlier this year, was met with a quick rebuff of "I'm not going to talk about any of that stuff."

Some may remember that Aronofsky was at one point developing a Batman movie with Frank Miller, and The Wolverine will be his first attempt to direct a studio franchise film. We wondered about how that experience may have differed from this one and he told us, "I was really trying to make ‘The Fountain' at the time and that's what I was doing so I wasn't very focused on (Batman), I was focused on making ‘The Fountain,' and then after that, they went off and made the film that they did and it's great."

I just hope that they dont screw this one up...

rumor has it that they are going to use the Miller japan story...but I have also heard that the Silver Samauri is involved...am I wrong but I dont remember him in that story line?

Hugh Jackman tells EW that director Darren Aronofsky has already asked him to gain 25 lbs of muscle — “which is more than I ever have for the role” — before filming begins next spring. “It’s not easy for me,” he says. “Because I’m actually quite long and lean.” For advice he turned to none other than The Rock! “I had a chat with Dwayne Johnson, who did 25 pounds for his movie,” Jackman says, referring to Johnson’s latest, Faster. “I rang him up and was like, Okay, tell me what’s going on.” The answer: Six months, a pound a week, 6,000 calories a day which, Jackman points out, is an awful lot of chicken, steak, and brown rice.
Jackman added that they've been trying to get Aronofsky since X-Men: The Last Stand. He said they "had a meeting about three weeks ago, catching up as friends more than anything, and he just ran a few ideas by me and my eyes just lit up, because already I think this is like a whole new ballgame – just the ideas, the level of depth, and intelligence, and creativity. I think he’s been waiting so long to do a movie in this genre. When he found the script, he said this is it. It’s really exciting."

25 Ilbs?!
Geez, he'll be a monster, he's already in good shape.

He could always tell him to lose some height too.
I always liked him as logan, even though he is really tall for the part. I really dig that he's sticking with the character.

He's got an inch on batman. He could always ask bale how to lose and gain a 100 pounds...maybe pick up some berserker rage too.

Hugh Jackman to Wolverine fans: ‘The planets are finally aligned to make a great movie’
Feb. 01, 2011 | 6:38 a.m.
Hugh Jackman got on the phone Monday to talk to our Geoff Boucher about his upcoming projects. Here’s what he had to say about his return to the metal-clawed mutant persona that has been the signature role of his Hollywood career.

Geoff Boucher: I remember coming by your office back in the summer of 2009, and you were already talking about your hopes of making a movie out of Marvel’s 1982 ”Wolverine” miniseries, the classic by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. And now you’re doing just that — and with director Darren Aronofsky, of all people. You must be thrilled.

Hugh Jackman: I’m really, really pumped about it. I feel like all the planets are finally aligned to make a great movie. We finally have the character and with this mythology — ever since [the 2000 Bryan Singer film] “X-Men,” when I was kind of hanging around and reading all these comics, because I was cast before I ever read any X-Men comics, so I was trying to get my hands on everything. I remember saying to [producer] Lauren Shuler Donner, “Lauren, I don’t know about you, but I’ve seen this Japanese story, and I think it’s so good. It’s just genius, it’s brilliant.” And we kind of always talked about it from there on. I sort of even wanted to do that in the third X-Men movie at first, but we thought, no, we really need to establish who he is at first, and we did that [with "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"], and now this is sort of the cherry on top, to finally do it and have Darren Aronofsky direct it. I love his gung-ho attitude toward it and great vision. Straight off, it’s not a sequel, it’s a stand-alone, and I think we’re going to make one that people will describe as the best of the bunch.

GB: Well, it better be, right? I mean with that revered source material and the director of “Black Swan” and “The Wrestler” — not to mention a script by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote “The Usual Suspects” – the expectations are going to be pretty high for this one.

HJ: Right, absolutely, and Chris McQuarrie has done a script that is just phenomenal. I read a story once that said that he wrote “The Usual Suspects” in 15 days, and with this one he said to me, “I just knew what I wanted, and it came out real easy.” And he’s done an unbelievable job with it, and with Darren it’s just really exciting. I’m as excited as anybody to see what we come up with. I know we’re going to be met with huge expectations. The expectations will be high, but he’s one of the great filmmakers out there. I worked with him before [on "The Fountain"], and I knew as soon as I met him that he should be doing movies like this. He’s been looking a long time, and I’ve asked him to do other ones, and this time it worked out. I’m beyond thrilled.

GB: Are you going to have to go back to that intense diet, eating whole chickens so you can get that muscle mass back up?

HJ: I’m on it right now, mate, already doing it. It’s 6,000 calories a day, it’s rough.

GB: How much you weighing?

HJ: Right now, I’m at 210.

GB: Wow, so you’re going to be bigger this time? Last time, you looked about, what, 190?

HJ: Yeah, right, I was 190, something like that. I don’t know how much I want to give away about it, but Darren said with the last one, ‘Hey you looked great, but you’re so tall that in those long shots you looked kind of like Clint Eastwood, and that’s not Wolverine.” He said that Wolverine, in the comics, is powerful, stocky, you know, he’s short and thick. So he said, ‘I want you to go there, get bigger.’ He’s going to come down after he gets done with all the black-tie events over and done with.

GB: That’s interesting because in comics, sure, Wolverine is quite short and almost hunched over at times, a sort of feral posture, and he’s bulky up high – he’s like the nasty bulldog of superheroes.

HJ: Yeah, he’s thick and it’s chunky and it’s powerful. I always think of Mike Tyson when he first came on the scene. Sometimes, he was a full foot shorter than his opponents and bent over [with this] massive build. There’s real power. You said bulldog, and that’s it exactly. Exactly. That’s what I’m going for, and if I have a massive heart attack first, well, you tell everyone what I was going for.

GB: Well, if you die that’s not really an issue, they can just use CG these days.

HJ: That’s right, just take the four movies and the Oscars hosting and mix them together and they should have enough.

– Geoff Boucher

I love Aronofsky, and Jackman delivered his greatest performance to date with Aronofsky directing him in the Fountain, but this is an uphill battle all the way until release date. I'm calling a horrible ____ing burner of a movie until I'm proven otherwise.

I didn't think the first film was a total wreck and I enjoy Jackman as Wolverine. Therefore, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I downloaded it when it got leaked, only the second half from the chopper chase onward.

It was fun. I figured all the important character stuff was at the beginning, and i'm sure it was pretty good.

Well ____ me....there was no character stuff....

Back