The Wolverine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In its third weekend, The Wolverine lost over 1,000 theaters and dropped 63 percent to an estimated $8 million. Its total reached $112 million, and it is now guaranteed to be the lowest-grossing X-Men movie yet at the domestic box office.

doh!

Where did this whole idea come from? :dunno

Logic dictates that audiences from 60+ countries will bring in more revenue than just the one.

If they don't make money overseas why release them there :cuckoo:
I meant China. Because I was talking about Pacific Rim. There's some weird loophole that Devil posted in the PR thread you should check out.

In its third weekend, The Wolverine lost over 1,000 theaters and dropped 63 percent to an estimated $8 million. Its total reached $112 million, and it is now guaranteed to be the lowest-grossing X-Men movie yet at the domestic box office.

doh!

Between the kids movies and kids wanting to see them more than once and the 3D movies sucking up double screens, most movies aren't staying long in the theaters anymore.

For the next couple of months there's maybe ONE movie that I want to see and the rest are just blah. Too bad some of these movies like Wolverine didn't wait till then to be released.

They should have gone brutal and got an R rating. So many blades, so little blood and guts. But everyone and their mother wants to hit that PG-13 sweet spot. Damn. Well here's hoping DOFP knocks it out.

Not necessarily. It might have generated more buzz among the younger kids to bug their parents to let them watch it. Either way if you're gonna go out, go out with everything you got.

Nah, in this most rare of instances, Celtic is right. An R rating would've been the death knell for this film. Everybody who wants to see it has already gone to see it. Take an R rating into account, and you completely lose those tickets for those who can't get in, and wouldn't have added more given it really wouldn't have encouraged others to suddenly develop an interest in it.

Nah, in this most rare of instances, Celtic is right. An R rating would've been the death knell for this film. Everybody who wants to see it has already gone to see it. Take an R rating into account, and you completely lose those tickets for those who can't get in, and wouldn't have added more given it really wouldn't have encouraged others to suddenly develop an interest in it.

I understand that point, but it also may have helped transform the film into something much more appealing over all. Granted I can't remember the last time a rated R flick ever became a blockbuster or even close. Hollywood reality is a killer of dreams so I realize the fanboy in me can't have it all. If it's going to flop though, I'd rather it go ***** out like Dredd (except for the reliance on 3D).

Hindsight isn't always 20/20 and I gotta admit I don't quite understand why this is now the caboose of the franchise. There's a couple of possible factors going into this:

- The same ninja fever that carried the original story in the 80's is long gone today. I'd venture to say American interest in Japanese culture is at an all time low since I've been alive. Not entirely America's fault as I see some aspects of Japanese pop culture stagnating.

- Jackman's sanitized version of Wolvie has effectively neutered the character making him less dangerous than he's routinely depicted in the comics. I don't know any easy way to fix it. This movie did make him more of a dangerous killer than he has been in the past and that was great but it may have been too little too late.

Wish I knew because I thought this film deserved to do better.

I understand that point, but it also may have helped transform the film into something much more appealing over all. Granted I can't remember the last time a rated R flick ever became a blockbuster or even close. Hollywood reality is a killer of dreams so I realize the fanboy in me can't have it all. If it's going to flop though, I'd rather it go ***** out like Dredd (except for the reliance on 3D).

Hindsight isn't always 20/20 and I gotta admit I don't quite understand why this is now the caboose of the franchise. There's a couple of possible factors going into this:

- The same ninja fever that carried the original story in the 80's is long gone today. I'd venture to say American interest in Japanese culture is at an all time low since I've been alive. Not entirely America's fault as I see some aspects of Japanese pop culture stagnating.

- Jackman's sanitized version of Wolvie has effectively neutered the character making him less dangerous than he's routinely depicted in the comics. I don't know any easy way to fix it. This movie did make him more of a dangerous killer than he has been in the past and that was great but it may have been too little too late.

Wish I knew because I thought this film deserved to do better.

You don't have to go that far back.

The Conjuring was a huge financial hit for WB.

Huge.

Did you see the cost of production and box office.

The thing is, The Conjuring cost about 3 million bucks. So, it was going to be a hit no matter what. Not to mention name recognition as well from James Wan.

Elysium is a decent hit, but that's due to Neill Blomkamp's name, along with District 9.

Some times R-Rated films hit. But for something like Wolverine, whom kids love, that wouldn't work. Their parents wouldn't take them to a bloody violent film. Some would. But for the most part, no.

Back