The Wild West - All Things Western

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lone Ranger two things come to mind, Kemosabe and Hi Ho Silver, watched the show each week in black and white, part of the journey. I recollect I was at this time some way ahead practicing to be Lucas McCain, Rifle Man.

500468-IMG-0745.jpeg
View attachment 691928
Nice!
Dynamite's Lone Ranger origin was an interesting take, much better than the modern Disney movie which went out of its way to clown him, and literally drag him through s#!+.
The origin introduced a much younger version of Reid, developing him a bit further, and you see him more evolve and grow into the inevitable role, rather than just emerging almost fully formed the day after the Canyon massacre.
Tonto's past was further developed, the capture of Silver and the hunting down of Cavandish which completes the first arc, were all pretty good, although it strays some from the original and goes a bit dark, it's an understandably more modern perspective, and if you are already familiar with the story it helps that it feels "new", otherwise what's the point of telling the exact same story.
It was a bit slow (over decompressed) at times while purchasing the monthlies, but I do recommend it in one go as in the trade above, it looked beautiful too, covers by John Cassaday , art by Sergio Cariello.

8hth28.jpg

Dynamite's Zorro take was ok, introduced a bit of an origin (which Zorro lacked) borrowing heavily from the Allende Zorro novel.
Main elements being he's a product of both worlds, half Spanish (father) educated and trained with a sword in Spain, part Native American(mother) raised among Chumash, adopts their skills, and introduced the vision quest, where he is guided by a black fox, as his spirit animal.
I also own the Blitzway Zorro, which I consider part of my western collection. ...
Yeah, Zorro kind of had one foot in the swashbuckling pirate adventure, and the other in the Western genre. I guess he's a bit of both. Or rather fits right in-between, which makes him so unique.
In the original McCulley pulps, the second Zorro tale is a pirate adventure, he has an ally who is a somewhat reformed pirate who tells Zorro he would have made a great Pirate, and refers to him as a "land-pirate". Which is pretty much what he is.
After Argosy he was published regular in West Magazine, and Disney positioned him in Frontier Land.
8htkeh.gif

Would love some classic 1:6 Zorro and Lone Ranger figures
I would still love a legit Guy Williams Disney era Zorro,

8amggu.gif
8amibg.gif

8amgq9.gif
8amhxy.gif

8amkmd.gif
8amk4p.gif

...and Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore) and Tonto ( Jay Silverheels) some of my most wanted.
8as95z.gif
8dbmlz.gif
8as8xg.gif

8dbpss.gif
8ay04p.gif
Possibly my most wanted 1:6 figures
ea2df8481eb7813503d7ecb0bd04c091.gif

8hxa8l.gif

Last edited:
I agree, John Wayne seemed to be on tv constantly when I was younger. Between The Duke, Clint Eastwood, James West, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza, tv was so awesome back in the 60’s and 70’s.
Bonanza, my brothers and I watched the show and did our own version of the theme tune stopping short of the fire. Strangely, I remember reading in my Father's newspaper at the time the announcement of Dan Blockers passing. I wanted to be Pernell Roberts character maybe because I too am the eldest brother. My brothers and I had rigs which we unbuckled before going to bed, we kept them close because my mother could be mean and we lived kinda like the Waltons without the sugar coating.

Likely not on allot of lists here, would love to see a 1:6 El Topo figure.
73nnll.jpg
6yp7ww.gif

73nmvr.jpg

73n91e.jpg

Also for a "1/6 figs dreamlist" : shouldn't this thread be in the - General Collectibles - Action Figures
This one is way out there, the so called Acid Western,
Part Western, part Eastern mysticism, medieval alchemy, part post apocalypse, warriors journey, total acid trip....
66049eb55a295c12516ca7a326802bd6.gif

7fbffc57a6d4f7379772f291cb7424fd.jpg

Would love a 1:6 figure of El Topo, place him somewhere between figures of Kwai Chang Caine and Mad Max.

Speaking of, does he count?
8huwpl.gif

8htocd.gif

Last edited:
I shall if I may take the reins and begin. It seems fitting that we begin with John Wayne. During my childhood he seemed to be on our small TV most of the time. If I chose one performance in a western from Mr Wayne it would be as Thomas Dunson in Red River 1948, what a cast, what a picture. I went to see Mr Wayne's final perfomance as JB Brooks in The Shootist in 1976, a fine tribute, the rest is history.

Over to you my friends....
Besides those listed, give me the Rooster.
952b6d693fe34c725e303b3a0d60e0c4.gif

I missed out yet KP's looks pretty terrific- https://www.collectorfreaks.com/thr...john-wayne-official-1-6-action-figure.241208/
8hwrgj.jpg

Another John Wayne favorite, not often listed, is John Ford's Three Godfathers, well predates Lone Wolf and Cub, and of course Mando and baby Grogu
(either of the two Ford versions, though recommend the Wayne. Aremendariz, Carey Jr. version), also works when people are celebrating their favorite Christmas movie, surprise them with this one, no one ever lists.

Last edited:
I have customs of these two (heads, clothes and the rest, but I don’t have bodies for them).
Would love it if somebody could make the wrist gun for 1:6
8htqz2.gif

Not sure if the Travis Bickle figure came with?
8htr1h.gif

I think Burton's Batgadgets were somewhat inspired by it
8htrdp.gif

8htr90.gif

The Batman also has it pop from the wrist
8htrkn.gif

Last edited:
This one is way out there, the so called Acid Western,
Part eastern mysticism, western alchemy, part post apocalypse, part Western, part acid trip....
66049eb55a295c12516ca7a326802bd6.gif

7fbffc57a6d4f7379772f291cb7424fd.jpg

Would love a 1:6 figure of El Topo, place him somewhere between figures of Kwai Chang Caine and Mad Max.

Speaking of, does he count?
8htocd.gif
I reckon so. Kung Fu another show I watched every week. I recall Grass Hopper too.

Last edited:
Besides those listed, give me the Rooster.
952b6d693fe34c725e303b3a0d60e0c4.gif

I missed out yet KP's looks pretty terrific- https://www.collectorfreaks.com/thr...john-wayne-official-1-6-action-figure.241208/

33d558004d0c091c91de7ddb2f5c3d02

Another John Wayne favorite, not often listed, is John Ford's Three Godfathers, well predates Lone Wolf and Cub, and of course Mando and baby Grogu
(either of the two Ford versions, though recommend the Wayne. Aremendariz, Carey Jr. version), also works when people are celebrating their favorite Christmas movie, surprise them with this one, no one ever lists.
When Mr Wayne accepted the Oscar for True Grit he said he should have put the eye patch on 30 years earlier. Another Wayne stand out performance was 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' I share a connection with one of the characters in this picture.

Bonanza, my brothers and I watched the show and did our own version of the theme tune stopping short of the fire. Strangely, I remember reading in my Father's newspaper at the time the announcement of Dan Blockers passing. I wanted to be Pernell Roberts character maybe because I too am the eldest brother. My brothers and I had rigs which we unbuckled before going to bed, we kept them close because my mother could be mean and we lived kinda like the Waltons without the sugar coating.
I see the show is getting a rerun on the TalkingPics TV channel in the UK.

The Duke is my all time favorite :hi5:

Most who know me on here already know this, but for my newer friends The Searchers is the greatest western ever made. It has everything you need and Ethan Edwards is one of the more interesting characters ever created. John Wayne’s acting was on another level in this film and I think it was his greatest role hands down. I could go on and on, but I won’t :lol

I know a lot of people have Sergio at the top of their list, but Ford is number one in my book. I love the spaghetti western, but classic American Cinema is what I enjoy most.

“ That'll be the day”
View attachment 691839
Great figure you have there my friend. I may take a closer look at Hondo when he goes up.

Back