The studio ADI Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations to those that will be able to order 1 or more of these :)

They are out of their everlovin' minds with those prices.

Don't be a hater:wink1: Those prices are more reasonable than you realize!

Way higher quality materials involved.Some of the most talented FX artists in the industry, actually working on these! The economy of scale is also a factor. ADI isn't going to be making thousands of these pieces.

People wonder why companies like P1 make so many of their pieces.They have to in order to make back the costs for licensing fees,labor,rapid prototyping,mold manufacturing,marketing etc... Then comes the profit.

It's not profitable for P1/CP to make 100 of their dog alien maquettes and then sell them for $1700.

Here are the first pics of the new 1/3 scale Dog Alien Maquette by studioADI.
This is the artist proof and promotional copy, made from the original molds and painted to perfection here to match the screenused here.
Love this piece and need it for my collection!!!
Thanks my friend D. for the pics!!!

Beautiful sculpt. The level of detail is insane. However the price is obviously not for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the first pics of the new 1/3 scale Dog Alien Maquette by studioADI.
This is the artist proof and promotional copy, made from the original molds and painted to perfection here to match the screenused here.
Love this piece and need it for my collection!!!
Thanks my friend D. for the pics!!!

079e4d6c-b436-47e2-a4gck4.jpeg

I love it! But at $6,500, it's a hard pass.
Woah! $6,500???

That apple is 6-inches wide right?

Geez!!!

That is awesome. But I don't see most people wanting to pay 4.5k more than the also awesome Prime 1 version. This is for the most hardcore fans, or those who don't need to think twice about their spending.

Wow I love the running pose, no way I can swing this though unfortunately (apart from selling half my collection which ain’t happening) I’ll settle for the P1 version :lol

I know others will disagree,but the P1/CP pales in comparison!

The paint work alone makes the P1/CP look bland and much less accurate. The paintwork could only be done proper justice by either one of the original ADI FX artists, like Yuri Everson and Gino Acevedo! No factory is going to come close to imitating their work :)

This piece will no doubt blow away those lucky enough to see it in person.

Sigh... where do I begin.
Ok, so I’ve been following this piece closely via ADI/ Instagram etc. Dare I say it looks, “off”?
Certain features in the sculpt don’t appear like a $6,500.00 screen accurate piece to me by a long shot. The pose also looks like it could have used a bit off work. The Dog was FAST and the pose should show it. That tail should be pointed/ extended straight back instead of pointing out front. I also feel that the turn banking wasn’t executed properly. It should have a better lean and be running like a banking jaguar but instead looks like it’s at a slow gallop tripping over itself.
In conclusion... not happy how it turned out.

Sigh... where do I begin.
Ok, so I’ve been following this piece closely via ADI/ Instagram etc. Dare I say it looks, “off”?
Certain features in the sculpt don’t appear like a $6,500.00 screen accurate piece to me by a long shot. The pose also looks like it could have used a bit off work. The Dog was FAST and the pose should show it. That tail should be pointed/ extended straight back instead of pointing out front. I also feel that the turn banking wasn’t executed properly. It should have a better lean and be running like a banking jaguar but instead looks like it’s at a slow gallop tripping over itself.
In conclusion... not happy how it turned out.

I kinda agree. And if it's based off a dog and its in motion running or galloping, the feet placement is not that of a dog, best I can tell. They do not move with the posed ADI foot pattern.

https://www.dailydogdiscoveries.com/tag/how-do-dogs-run/

Edit- Unless in this pose the Dog may be braking from a gallop, and that's why the front two feet are down and the tail is thrust forward. But it's still odd that the one rear leg is still in full gallop...

It's an "ALIEN" not an actual dog.In it's final film variant, it's an Alien/Dog hybrid. The A3 alien never completely mimicked an actual dog. Did it bark? Did it wag it's tail or lick itself? Does a dog shed it's actual skin, drop down from ceiling and grab people,run on 2 legs at times or have an inner mouth that strikes out?

The pose is meant to be visually interesting,not to capture the "exact" physical moment of a dog in full stride. It's more closely capturing how the rod puppet would/could be posed if running. The original molded parts can also only be finessed so much before you have to start changing the original design elements to make it fit a very specific pose.The puppets had some slight modifications so their movement would look better while being filmed.

The original mold of the body,legs,arms,feet and hands are cast in a superman flying pose as one piece. The tail is cast separately and completely straight.The tail tip is cast separately as well as the main part of the head, the original lower part of the jaw, the inner mouth/tongue.The carapace that covers the head is a separate vacuum formed piece. All the mouth tendons are sculpted not cast. The neck has to be partially sculpted to fit that pose.There is a lot of finishing work involved to get the original molded parts into that type of pose.

The P1/CP pose has more of a look of a dog begging at certain angles,which isn't screen accurate.There are also several details on it that are not specific to any one prop. A few examples, the teeth are not accurate to the original molds/rod puppet.The inner tongue/mouth isn't the same. The whole head is based on the full size fiberglass A3 piece, not the maquettes or puppets. There are different and more pronounced details on the head of the A3 fiberglass fullsize piece in comparison to the original 1/3 scale molds.

The paint color and the paint details don't closely match either version. The latest pictures of the paintwork look really off-putting.

(Picture courtesy of Newborn of a raw casting from the original molds,except the head)

37842548_279599546176664_1722716536386355200_n.jpg

It's an "ALIEN" not an actual dog.In it's final film variant, it's an Alien/Dog hybrid. The A3 alien never completely mimicked an actual dog. Did it bark? Did it wag it's tail or lick itself? Does a dog shed it's actual skin, drop down from ceiling and grab people,run on 2 legs at times or have an inner mouth that strikes out?

You mean that it's not an actual dog? That's really mind-blowing. It may not BE a dog, but it IS a quadruped, and they don't move in that pattern. Dog or not. You could argue that it's a space quadruped, and in that case it's different, but it was also moving and running in human gravity levels so that's out.

pic-sw-cheetah-diet-eating-06.ashx

015Cheetahs14.jpg

I don't see a problem with the running pose from either an aesthetic or possible in nature perspective.
These pics show some of the crazy angles a fast 4 legged animal can be in at speed.
It's a sculpture that needs to have both a base in order to stand while conveying movement and speed and I think it captures this as art beautifully.

I don't see a problem with the running pose from either an aesthetic or possible in nature perspective.
These pics show some of the crazy angles a fast 4 legged animal can be in at speed.
It's a sculpture that needs to have both a base in order to stand while conveying movement and speed and I think it captures this as art beautifully.

Then you're not paying close enough attention. No where in a gallop or running does a quadruped have 3 feet on the ground at the same time. It's really that simple. I gave them the out about the possibility of the pose trying to convey the Alien braking into a corner at speed, but he doubled down on the gallop, so it's just plain wrong. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but on a near $7K statue, inaccuracies like this are not expected.

Of the pictures posted a couple pages back, I like the angle of the second one the best for this. It seems to convey the best sense of speed/running for this piece, regardless of how accurate it may be for a running quadruped, and should be the "front" of the statue in my opinion, but it isn't unfortunately. In the first picture (shown with the apple, which is also apparently the "front" of the statue because of the placard) it appears to me that the alien is either about to fall over, or is lifting it's back leg to pee (insert picture of a fire hydrant behind it lol).

I do think it looks great overall, but in no way does it appear $5K better to me than the one by P1.

Back