The studio ADI Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although i am sure the quality of their replica's will most likely be unmatched, I feel that these choices that ADI will be offering are lazy. Half a head, a 1/5th scale newborn, a tiny plaque, etc. With their capability and access to original material, why not make definitive 1/4 scale or 1/3 scale full body replicas of the iconic beasts. It seems to me that they are going for easy to produce, at a very high price. This is just my opinion though.

I think some of these are their original material. It's the kind of things they use behind the scenes to conceptualise and create the final character designs. I like a few of the bits they are offering. But it isn't necessarily this initial line up that has me excited. It is the thought of ADI themselves doing this kind of thing, and what they could potentially offer down the line if it proves to be financially realistic for them to do so. They have a heck of a catalogue behind them. And who knows, if this kind of stuff does well, we may see the ultimate Wolf Predator maquette made in the studio that created the real deal... Not to mention various masks and statues (arachnid bugs etc)

Many years ago, I sent a frustrated email to Alec Gillis after receiving a diabolical Scar bio from Sideshow. I only really wanted some decent images of the real thing so that I could fix the one tone grey mask with brush strokes and paper lenses that SSC had shipped me. He seemed genuinely disappointed that his prop had been replicated in such a manner and he went completely out of his way to help me. He sent a detailed description of the paint process, with pictures of the real thing. He even sent out a piece of the mesh they used in the lenses for me to use an accurate painting guide. He offered to have his people do it all for me (presumably for a cost of course) But living 5000 miles away I passed him up. Almost wish I hadn't now. I couldn't really have asked for much more, he was a lovely guy and I appreciate ADI even more after that. It seems they have decided to do things properly and offer it for those who can afford it which is very interesting at least. I probably won't even be able to afford a lot of the stuff they might offer, but it sure will be cool to see it all.

I think some of these are their original material. It's the kind of things they use behind the scenes to conceptualise and create the final character designs. I like a few of the bits they are offering. But it isn't necessarily this initial line up that has me excited. It is the thought of ADI themselves doing this kind of thing, and what they could potentially offer down the line if it proves to be financially realistic for them to do so. They have a heck of a catalogue behind them. And who knows, if this kind of stuff does well, we may see the ultimate Wolf Predator maquette made in the studio that created the real deal... Not to mention various masks and statues (arachnid bugs etc)

Many years ago, I sent a frustrated email to Alec Gillis after receiving a diabolical Scar bio from Sideshow. I only really wanted some decent images of the real thing so that I could fix the one tone grey mask with brush strokes and paper lenses that SSC had shipped me. He seemed genuinely disappointed that his prop had been replicated in such a manner and he went completely out of his way to help me. He sent a detailed description of the paint process, with pictures of the real thing. He even sent out a piece of the mesh they used in the lenses for me to use an accurate painting guide. He offered to have his people do it all for me (presumably for a cost of course) But living 5000 miles away I passed him up. Almost wish I hadn't now. I couldn't really have asked for much more, he was a lovely guy and I appreciate ADI even more after that. It seems they have decided to do things properly and offer it for those who can afford it which is very interesting at least. I probably won't even be able to afford a lot of the stuff they might offer, but it sure will be cool to see it all.
....wow. amazing story and experience! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Can someone clarify something for me. Thinking of getting the Queen Embryo. I don't quite recall this scene in Alien 3. On the ADI site it says this embryo appears on an MRI scan. Whos body is this queen embryo supposedly nestled in?

Queen+Alien+Embryo+Alien+III+1.jpg

Ripley's. It may just be in the directors cut? It's a long time since I watched the cinematic version.

So was this old one just an artists interpretation of the embryo? I'm assuming the ADI one is what it looked like in the movie.

400018_press01-001.jpg

The sideshow piece was cast from a maquette ADI made for the movie poster. The scan scene is in both versions of the film and this ADI piece is the puppet used in the MRI

LOL
This "Alien 4 Queen" is just fake. They made a mock up/mix of different versions and modified it so much!
The head is from the AVP Queen and the under part of the crown too. They are not showing this part on the pictures on their online shop but I was able to see pictures of it and this is not from the Alien 4 queen. This bottom/under part of the crown is from the avp design.

Also the cut in the front of the crown just above the head is so weird and has never been there...
Funny part is that they are admitting it in the description : "While this particular sculpt was created for a different entry in the franchise, her highly detailed rich sepia color scheme is exact to the full scale version we created for Resurrection"

So, basically only the colors respect the Alien 4 version.

that's too bad.

EDIT: ADI confirmed that they used another version of the Queen to make this one and I was able to see the making of.

LOL
This "Alien 4 Queen" is just fake. They made a mock up/mix of different versions and modified it so much!
The head is from the AVP Queen and the under part of the crown too. They are not showing this part on the pictures on their online shop but I was able to see pictures of it and this is not from the Alien 4 queen. This bottom/under part of the crown is from the avp design.

Also the cut in the front of the crown just above the head is so weird and has never been there...
Funny part is that they are admitting it in the description : "While this particular sculpt was created for a different entry in the franchise, her highly detailed rich sepia color scheme is exact to the full scale version we created for Resurrection"

So, basically only the colors respect the Alien 4 version.

that's too bad.

Well,at least they tell you that it's a design amalgamation of the queen.Some other companies would never mention the fact. I could be wrong,but i don't think they ever made a 1/4 or 1/3 scale puppet for Alien Resurrection,so there is no way a 1/3 scale or 1/4 scale Resurrection queen head could come from original molds.There were 1/3 and 1/4 scale puppets made for AVP and the former Stan Winston Studios 1/4 scale puppet, for Aliens.

ADI is not "re-sculpting' pieces from scratch,only using molds of what they have.

They also don't currently have a license outside of A3 or A:R.That's why there isn't going to be any AVP related Aliens or Predators.

Well,at least they tell you that it's a design amalgamation of the queen.Some other companies would never mention the fact. I could be wrong,but i don't think they ever made a 1/4 or 1/3 scale puppet for Alien Resurrection,so there is no way a 1/3 scale or 1/4 scale Resurrection queen head could come from original molds.There were 1/3 and 1/4 scale puppets made for AVP and the former Stan Winston Studios 1/4 scale puppet, for Aliens.

ADI is not "re-sculpting' pieces from scratch,only using molds of what they have.

Don't get me wrong. I like their work, but this is not fare.

The Alien Resurrection Queen was the one from Aliens from the Stan Winston molds. Some parts were missing so they had to do it again or resculpt some damaged ones. it was in 1:1 scale. and they changed the color to match the sepia tone.
So basically the Queen design in Aliens and Alien 4 is the same. It's a known fact and there is no problem with that.

But it's another thing, to take the AVP queen head and the under part of the AVP Queen crown and make it sounds like it's normal.

They are kinda saying it's a mix but when you look at their reference product for this Queen they are mentionning Alien 4 and Alien 2 (AQ4A2)
Problem here, this is not the case.

Claiming it is movie accurate afterward is weird. At least for me.

And again, I love ADI and their work. Don't get me wrong.
But in that case, it's not really fare.

EDIT: ADI onfirmed that they used another Queen for this one and I was able to see the making of. Also it's now written in the description

Back