The Strain on FX - starts July 13

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was pretty damn fun. I would say that first episode was less than a quarter of the first book. With only three books in the trilogy, I'd say this series won't last but three or four seasons. Hopefully, we get to see it all unfold. I loved how the second novel unfolded and led into the third one.

I don't want to get too into it just yet for those who haven't seen it but my biggest gripe was there was no creepiness to it whatsoever. I read the first book in bed before going to sleep and even though I had read the first comic volume before the book, and knowing it was vampires, I was genuinely creeped out. Like hearing strange noises. They left nothing to the imaginstion, especially introducing the master within the first 5 minutes. Probably my favourite part of the first book was the entire airplane part and the events following it.

I know it's your typical "book vs movie/tv complaint" but there's just so much that they changed. It's like FX looks at their audiences as idiots and has to give everything away off the bat otherwise it'll be too confusing for them.

Don't know or care about the books. The first episode was bad ass. It defn had creepy vibes to it. The "cabinet " was super creepy and bad ass looking at the same time. It reminds me of the sideshow reaper. Love the old man too. There is defn a blade 2 vibe going on as well.

Don't know or care about the books. The first episode was bad ass. It defn had creepy vibes to it. The "cabinet " was super creepy and bad ass looking at the same time. It reminds me of the sideshow reaper. Love the old man too. There is defn a blade 2 vibe going on as well.

Yeah, I was thinking I had seen that motif before on a statue from Sideshow. Makes sense cause GDT is such a Sideshow fan too. Agreed on the Blade 2 vibe. Blade needs to show up and send these bloodsuckers straight to hell. David Bradley's Setrakian is fantastic in my opinion. He really captures what makes this old vampire hunter so damn endearing. And his narration is pretty damn cool too.

My gripes with this episode (book spoilers kinda)

Spoiler Spoiler:

I realize that they can only do so much with TV but I just think cramming the first half of the strain into one episode was overkill. I mean we know next to anything about the characters. I also hated that they gave up all that sense of creepiness and suspense and replayed it with shock value reveals.

I'm gonna continue to watch and try to turn off the book in my head.

I don't want to get too into it just yet for those who haven't seen it but my biggest gripe was there was no creepiness to it whatsoever. I read the first book in bed before going to sleep and even though I had read the first comic volume before the book, and knowing it was vampires, I was genuinely creeped out. Like hearing strange noises. They left nothing to the imaginstion, especially introducing the master within the first 5 minutes. Probably my favourite part of the first book was the entire airplane part and the events following it.

I know it's your typical "book vs movie/tv complaint" but there's just so much that they changed. It's like FX looks at their audiences as idiots and has to give everything away off the bat otherwise it'll be too confusing for them.

I have yet to watch this one, going to soon; having read the first two books twice each, I am pretty familiar with the story, and so this is my biggest concern with any adaptation. Introducing the master within 5 min seems way too quick......will let you all know what I think once having seen it

First ten minutes was rough; really cheesey acting and dialogue. it got better, fortunately. Spoilers, so

Spoiler Spoiler:

originally I heard Del torro planned this as a 5 year type story, but wonder if that's changed with the FX deal they way they are rushing through the story. Little changes here and there, but nothing really missing. Overall, once we got past the cringe inducing first ten minutes, it was quite enjoyable. Setrakian is perfect . Eph and Nora seems to have decent chemistry. Frankly, if anything, they downplayed the science side of the books a bit too much to my liking. And keep in mind we've not seen the main attraction yet. hope the FX looks great on regular vamps.

On a personal note, I really hope we get flashbacks to a young Setrakian that were in the books. Hell, I can see entire episodes in that past timeframe myself.

Last edited:
I have yet to watch this one, going to soon; having read the first two books twice each, I am pretty familiar with the story, and so this is my biggest concern with any adaptation. Introducing the master within 5 min seems way too quick......will let you all know what I think once having seen it

First ten minutes was rough; really cheesey acting and dialogue. it got better, fortunately. Spoilers, so

Spoiler Spoiler:

originally I heard Del torro planned this as a 5 year type story, but wonder if that's changed with the FX deal they way they are rushing through the story. Little changes here and there, but nothing really missing. Overall, once we got past the cringe inducing first ten minutes, it was quite enjoyable. Setrakian is perfect . Eph and Nora seems to have decent chemistry. Frankly, if anything, they downplayed the science side of the books a bit too much to my liking. And keep in mind we've not seen the main attraction yet. hope the FX looks great on regular vamps.

On a personal note, I really hope we get flashbacks to a young Setrakian that were in the books. Hell, I can see entire episodes in that past timeframe myself.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm also hoping we see young setrakian in the camps and some of his backstory. I can't not see them doing it though. It would leave too many unanswered questions.

I really liked it. I'll have to give it a couple more shows though to see if it's worth getting invested in.

I liked it! Already dropped The Last Ship and The Leftovers. It was good to see Sam from Lord of the Rings again!

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm also hoping we see young setrakian in the camps and some of his backstory. I can't not see them doing it though. It would leave too many unanswered questions.

We will indeed see the flashbacks in the concentration camps as an actor has been cast to play the young Setrakian.

Solid first episode. Excited to see Lance Henrikson is listed in the credits for voice work (The Master).

Last edited:
Lance as the master's voice? Interesting......and cool.

Trust me all: you digging the show, you will dig the books too!!! Fett (not Boba) will be a very cool character

As I understand it from an article, lance Henrikson isn't the sole voice of the master. They're mixing multiple voices for when he speaks but I believe they said that lance is the more prominent voice.

from the first episode and upcoming preview I see a lot of parallels and concepts taken from Salem's Lot and modernized (which was one of the scariest and best vampire movies I saw late night on TV as a kid in the 80s)

Back