The Sideshow Freaks Fitness Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I'm not interested in bodybuilding, but last year I was put on a medication that caused me to gain about 20 lb. and I am wondering if anyone knows the best way to lose it. I've lowered my dosage on that medication (which causes lethargy and an increase in appetite - bad combination). I used to go jogging regularly but jogging and heavy exercise isn't really an option for me at the moment because of my right Achilles tendon, it's pretty weak and in danger of snapping. When I break into a jog it hurts like heck and...twinges, hard to describe the feeling, not sure why, can't afford a doctor visit.

So mainly I'm wondering about diet. I know to cut the soda intake and replace it with water, which I've been doing. I don't eat all that much to begin with. Unfortunately that medication that causes the weight gain is a sleeping pill, so my problem is I take it at night and then get hungry and snack just before bed, which I know is the worst time to eat. I'd love to get completely off of it but it gives me fever/chills and inhibits my ability to fall asleep when I don't take it.

Any advice?

I've come to learn that it really doesn't matter when you eat. Just as long as you are eating a balanced enough diet then you'll be in good shape (at least this has been my case).

Have you tried lower impact exercise? If you have access to an elliptical I would recommend that. If not, biking, swimming and walking are all good alternatives to running/jogging.

Perhaps you aren't eating enough? Or not enough of the right things? Replacing soda is a good start, but adding more veggies, fruit, grains, calcium (if you can), protien, etc. might help you. Also, eating more frequently throughout the day may also help to speed up your metabolism.

I've come to learn that it really doesn't matter when you eat. Just as long as you are eating a balanced enough diet then you'll be in good shape (at least this has been my case).

Have you tried lower impact exercise? If you have access to an elliptical I would recommend that. If not, biking, swimming and walking are all good alternatives to running/jogging.

Perhaps you aren't eating enough? Or not enough of the right things? Replacing soda is a good start, but adding more veggies, fruit, grains, calcium (if you can), protien, etc. might help you. Also, eating more frequently throughout the day may also help to speed up your metabolism.

A lot of good advice here. There have been studies done that show that it really doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you're staying within your daily caloric intake for your size/weight. I also agree that you should be eating small (approx. 300 calorie) meals 4 or 5 times a day about every 3 hours or so... this will keep your metabolism going. You might also try to go with a higher protein/fiber diet to start out with... this will curb your hunger longer and might help you avoid overeating or binge eating. Best of luck to you!!

I started doing these a few weeks ago, and I love them. My traps are always tight and sore the next day after working out my shoulders.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/VJyLJAGjptA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/VJyLJAGjptA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey guys just looking for some advice about nutrition. What should I eat before working out in the morning? Some people that I speak to say eat nothing before a workout esp. in the morning, some other people I talk to say eat fruits and bread. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't like eating anything personally, and don't see any benefit to doing so unless you wait hours until you workout. I'd just make sure to have some protein within 30 minutes after your workout.

Hey guys just looking for some advice about nutrition. What should I eat before working out in the morning? Some people that I speak to say eat nothing before a workout esp. in the morning, some other people I talk to say eat fruits and bread. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eating nothing before a work out (in the morning after you wake up) is good for fat burning because then your body has to dip into the fat reserves for energy, thus burning it.

Last edited:

I usually eat a slice of toast or half of a bagel before embarking to the gym. I like to get something in the belly, but not too much. This is just me but I don't know how people can work out with a full meal in the tank. If I eat too much, or if it's not properly digested I always feel bloated and lethargic in the gym.

I've heard lots of conflicting advice about this, so I can only mention what I do, which is I always have a some kind of fruit or granola bar before I workout. Now, I only workout in the evenings but I have to eat something right before my time at the gym or I'll be starving afterwards and then overeat at dinner. So for me, it helps keep me in check meal-wise and my calorie intake.

I usually eat a slice of toast or half of a bagel before embarking to the gym. I like to get something in the belly, but not too much. This is just me but I don't know how people can work out with a full meal in the tank. If I eat too much, or if it's not properly digested I always feel bloated and lethargic in the gym.

Same here. It takes the wind out of my sails completely. Plus, one of the greatest feelings for me is working out before supper, giving it all I've got, and then eating an awesome dinner :exactly:

So today was my first day back in the gym after being sick with the flu for over a week... Man what a set back!

Man that sucks...Glad your feeling better and back on your feet tho...Keep us up to date on how your workouts go man :)

Back