"The Road" movie discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading the Variety review I have to say I disagree with just about all his comments about things that didn't work in the film. So I guess I'd have to say that if I were to write a review it would be a positive one. But for me, this film is impossible to like. I haven't read the book and have no desire to, after seeing the film, going out and slitting my wrists doesn't seem like too bad an idea.

But Viggo's performance is noteworthy as is how much the little kid looks like he could actually be Theron's child. But there's no getting around the bleakness of this film - it forces you to think - about what you would do in a similar situation and the nature of morality. And in that it succeeds on every level. But will I be buying the DVD and having parties to watch it again? ...don't think so.

As much as I love Viggo, I won't be watching this. I don't like doom and gloom. I didn't read the book and from what I gather from this thread, I doubt I would like the movie anyway.

The movie was ok, but it just doesn't capture the tone of the book, which surprised me. The director's first film, The Proposal, nails the tone of the novel The Road perfectly. The music cues in this film just didn't fit and by not going to level of bleakness of the book, the reward just doesn't pay off as well. It been widely said that McCarthy's novels can't be filmed. The Cohen Brother's disproved that, but No Country for Old Men has one thing that his other novels do not and that is a great, great character. In the novel, The Road, just about every sentence is a reference or allusion to something else and how the heck do you film that? The film as it stands is ok, but it's more interested in not losing the audience than taking you to the world created by McCarthy. That said, Viggo's performance is top notch.

This sucks. I read the book and I have been waiting for this movie and its not playing anywhere near me.

It's not near me anywhere either unless I want to drive over 50 miles. That's okay because I'm not going to see it anyway.

Gloooooooooomy. :(

Saw this on Saturday, it is a very bleak and gloomy movie, but it is very good. They did an excellent job capturing the atmosphere of the book and Viggo was amazing as usual.

Makes me wonder what I would do if I were in a similar situation, would I fight to survive or give up all hope?

Sure it's not a party movie, but I will be watching this again.

P.S. For the Ladies, there is two instances of Viggo ass in this film. :rolleyes::D

Totally didn't know that this was going to be a limited release. I'm not happy about it. After waiting as long as it seems I have, I suppose I can wait a week or two extra. :monkey2

Saw this on Saturday, it is a very bleak and gloomy movie, but it is very good. They did an excellent job capturing the atmosphere of the book and Viggo was amazing as usual.

Makes me wonder what I would do if I were in a similar situation, would I fight to survive or give up all hope?

Sure it's not a party movie, but I will be watching this again.

P.S. For the Ladies, there is two instances of Viggo ass in this film. :rolleyes::D

Well thanks alot! Now I'll have to buy the DVD. :D

Wow, just saw it today...
Amazing movie IMO... very dark... but I liked it a lot...
Not a "feel good movie" mind you... :lol
But I like movies that sometimes put things in perspective...

Saw it this weekend... really great movie. I haven't read the book, but it (and No Country) are on my list of things to read.

Dreaded seeing the movie after I read the book. Having been one to want to slit my wrists after the book, was afraid I'd be even more depressed. No, it's not a story/plot that one can "like." Too dreadful a scenario. And I'm thinking some of the reviewers were unable to get past that and it colored their opinion.

Funnily, the movie made me view it in a different light from the book. Instead of the unremitting dark and bleakness that the book gave off, I found myself seeing it as a treatise on hope and Man's will to believe in and to nurture whatever seed exists within his core that elevated us from the animals. Couldn't shake off the blahs after the book to see that aspect. Still not a film I'd like to see again, but am glad I saw it.

What weakness there was in the film was the same that was in the book....a bit too convenient with the deus ex machina. Viggo's performance was outstanding and the kid was excellent.

Back