"The Predator" by Shane Black (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Predator Reboot...

Can't reboot a movie like Predator. Arnold, Ventura, and Weathers MAKE that movie. So much so that people seldom refer to the characters by their actual names in the film. :lol Are we going to do that with a reboot? Hell, no.
"Oh, here's 'expendable asset number one.' His specialties are yo-yo tricks and talking about beef jerky. Hmm, don't think he's gonna make it to the end. What about 'expendable asset number two?' Well, he's certainly charming. Carries around Archie comics wherever he goes. I've got a good feeling about that guy."

the only guy that can pull it off is The Rock. IF they manage to get him then the movie is set.... If I was Fox i would do anything it takes to secure him for the movie.

Predators was terrible, it felt like fan fic than a real movie. At least P2 tried something different. I don't get why Predators gets away with a lot of things while P2 tends to get the short end of the stick.

P2 is definitely way better than Predators, does anyone really disagree? :lol

But Predators isn't really bad it did everything right and kinda modernized the characters properly, it just wasn't very imaginative.

But The Rock is the Schwarzenegger of the current generation. It's almost trying too hard to be close. You don't want to be completely different if you're rebooting, but you don't want to mimic the original either.

The only way a true reboot could work is if they elaborate on what's already been started, rather than wiping the slate clean. Keeping the flavor, but garnishing it differently. I say they should take note from the Concrete Jungle comic book (not to be confused with the game, although as I've said before, that story might be cool to see on-screen as well). What was cool about the book was that it focused on Dutch's brother, a hard-headed hero cop. It started in the city, then went to the jungle, then back to the city. You had character drama, you had gruesome deaths, and you had great '80s-style pacing. Similar ideas as the film, but a more elaborate execution. Personally, I think the best thing to do would be to pull from that.

Hell, cast The Rock as one of the cops. But they'll have to tiptoe that line between too close and too distant to the original.

P2 is definitely way better than Predators, does anyone really disagree? :lol

But Predators isn't really bad it did everything right and kinda modernized the characters properly, it just wasn't very imaginative.

I dug it. :dunno

Can't reboot a movie like Predator. Arnold, Ventura, and Weathers MAKE that movie. So much so that people seldom refer to the characters by their actual names in the film. :lol Are we going to do that with a reboot? Hell, no.

Can you imagine if they did a sequel, and the protagonist goes to find old Dutch sitting in a dark room smoking a cigar, and Dutch tells the protagonist how you can't win against the predator, you can only survive and such and tells him how to kill it in a very patronizing way.

You can't do that in a reboot.

But The Rock is the Schwarzenegger of the current generation. It's almost trying too hard to be close. You don't want to be completely different if you're rebooting, but you don't want to mimic the original either.

The only way a true reboot could work is if they elaborate on what's already been started, rather than wiping the slate clean. Keeping the flavor, but garnishing it differently. I say they should take note from the Concrete Jungle comic book (not to be confused with the game, although as I've said before, that story might be cool to see on-screen as well). What was cool about the book was that it focused on Dutch's brother, a hard-headed hero cop. It started in the city, then went to the jungle, then back to the city. You had character drama, you had gruesome deaths, and you had great '80s-style pacing. Similar ideas as the film, but a more elaborate execution. Personally, I think the best thing to do would be to pull from that.

Hell, cast The Rock as one of the cops. But they'll have to tiptoe that line between too close and too distant to the original.

I dug it. :dunno

If they don't cast the Rock, then we will have the same problem we had with PREDATORS and Adrien Broody, he was meant to be strong but lean, not a muscle machine like Arnold, Look at how well that turned out.

(Same thing goes for predator 2 and danny glover, Same exact thing, they tried different stuff besides having a body builder face the predator and everyone complains)

So the only way for this movie to not get any angry complaining is going with the rock

Can you imagine if they did a sequel, and the protagonist goes to find old Dutch sitting in a dark room smoking a cigar, and Dutch tells the protagonist how you can't win against the predator, you can only survive and such and tells him how to kill it in a very patronizing way.

Yep. I don't necessarily require that their film takes place in the same universe (unless they do go the Concrete Jungle route and negate the events of P2, building strictly off P1), but there definitely are bits and pieces of coolness that can be linked to the new movie while maintaining minty freshness.

I did too, but in my rank goes 1st P1, 2nd P2, 3rd Predators and that's it, I don't even include all the others :lol

Same. I had fun with all three of them. P2 and Predators aren't perfect, but neither is the first to be honest. It's still pretty bloody fantastic, though.

Hey! This is good news to me. More Predators from HT. With Shane Black on this it has my attention, I hated Predators and AVP2 so a reboot should be helpful as long as its good writing and directing first and foremost

also I might be in the minority here but CGI Predators please! not crappy B-movie cgi but Top drawer Avengers CGI

No CGI predators please. What made me fall in love with predator was how frickin amazing that creature looked when it took off that mask. What keeps me in love with it is how frickin amazing that creature looks when he takes off that mask. You can't beat that, just ask Yoda.

If they don't cast the Rock, then we will have the same problem we had with PREDATORS and Adrien Broody, he was meant to be strong but lean, not a muscle machine like Arnold, Look at how well that turned out.

It turned out pretty good? :dunno

(Same thing goes for predator 2 and danny glover, Same exact thing, they tried different stuff besides having a body builder face the predator and everyone complains)

So the only way for this movie to not get any angry complaining is going with the rock

The problems Predator 2 has have nothing to do with Danny Glover's physique :lol

All and all the Rock would be pretty badass.

No CGI preds... god please no.

And shane black is a terrible choice, though Pred has been ruined in the eyes of many already I fear he'll do worse

that didn't turn out well at all, the biggest complain the movie got was Adrien, I remember reading page after page of just people furious that he was the one that beat the super predators.

I never had a problem with it because I understood what they were going with it, I got that he was meant to be more agile and faster than someone like Arnold. but if anything else, people really hated him for this role

More than someone more agile and faster, I reckon it was a more realistic representation of a soldier, whenever I see pics of soldiers they look more like Brody than Arnie.

yeah that was basically what the people defending Adrien said.

But even guy on here were pretty annoyed at him, there was a lot of hate going around when the movie came out.

Well, I can't speak for the general opinion but I thought his character was good.

But the Rock vs a Predator would indeed be a sight for sore eyes.... :love

Predators was terrible, it felt like fan fic than a real movie. At least P2 tried something different. I don't get why Predators gets away with a lot of things while P2 tends to get the short end of the stick.
I'm a big fan of Predator 2 as well, but both are flawed films - & I don't think anyone's really disputing that either.

Thing is - P2 really ain't that different; same premise - different locale. :huh

Does it really need a reboot?

IMO, P1 was enjoyable, Predators wasn't bad and the rest didn't happen. We need a decent AVP taking place in space or on some alien planet.

Hopefully its better than IM3.

There are just too many things wrong with that one. I don't even want to think or hear about it.

That actually sounds good. Probably will never happen, though.

The original still holds up very well today. There's no good reason to do a reboot.
I'd rather they spent their resources getting a good writer who can come up with a great prequel. Show where these things come from, how they form clans, etc. Then end it with P1 discovering Earth.

Back