The power of hope...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations to you both ! I'm very happy for both of you ! Its the best feeling in the world . ( not the giving birth part but being a parent ! )

So you did go with Dax afterall, that's great! :fireworks :clap :fireworks

I know what you are going through, my second kiddo was in the NICU for about the first week and a half of his life; it was VERY hard on both my wife and I, our thoughts are with you - we truly hope you are able to bond with the little chap.

Best wishes Dusty, glad to hear you are doing well.

:joy

What's this Star Trek thing... there was a character named Dax? I didn't know that! Oh no, we've doomed him for life!!! :horror

Yes, Dusty. There was a character on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. It was a worm-like symbiote that inhabited volunteers for the Federation. And it was called by the hosts name iand it's own, which was "Dax". So if it were inhabiting you, it would have been called "Dusty Dax". The name it had DSN was something like Jedseah Dax. It accumulated all of the knowledge of all of it's hosts, so it's experience and knowledge made it a great resource for the Federation.

Did I just explain something you already knew?

daxto3.jpg

Didn't know you were involved with stopping Hurricanes......

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad to hear everything is going well.

On the lighter side, I've always wanted to read Brian Jacques Redwall books and now I will make it a point and I'll always think of you and Dax "Matthias"!

Last edited:
I was released from the hospital on Sept. 2nd, so we are driving twice a day for visits. Luckily our hospital is only 3 miles away!

I can't imagine how difficult it must be leaving the little guy there at the end of each day, I know it would break my heart daily if it were my son. The good news is that he's getting healthier and stronger with each passing day and will soon be able to return home.

Congratulations to you all and welcome to the parenting/no sleep club!!

Yes, Dusty. There was a character on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. It was a worm-like symbiote that inhabited volunteers for the Federation. And it was called by the hosts name iand it's own, which was "Dax". So if it were inhabiting you, it would have been called "Dusty Dax". The name it had DSN was something like Jedseah Dax. It accumulated all of the knowledge of all of it's hosts, so it's experience and knowledge made it a great resource for the Federation.

Yup, that's how it worked. Dax was a symbiote and back when Sisko first met Dax, Dax was merged with an old guy. Hence, Sisko calling the female Jadzia Dax "old man."

I think we just scared Dusty away from her own thread. :lol

Yup, that's how it worked. Dax was a symbiote and back when Sisko first met Dax, Dax was merged with an old guy. Hence, Sisko calling the female Jadzia Dax "old man."

LOL - You might be right. And thanks for the reinforcement on the explanation. I actually was wondering how good my memory was.

Congratulations to you both on your new family, Dax is an awesome name btw :rock :rock

Best wishes and thoughts to Dusty,Travis and baby Dax

shell
x :peace

No, this is not another political thread ;)

Just in case you missed me - you DID miss me right?... right?? - just wanted to fill you guys in on some stuff going on lately.

The second Sideshow baby of 2008 has been born! Yep, 8 weeks early, after some really rough, and unexpectedly fast, complications and hospitalizations for the mom (that's me, for you n00bs ;)), my son entered the world, screaming the whole way.

Name: Dax Matthias Watkins
Birth Weight: 3 lbs, 5.5 ozs
Length: 17 3/4 inches
Birthday: Friday, August 29th at 4:36 PM Pacific Time

He's not quite ready for a full-on photo shoot, with all his tubes and wires, but maybe soon :) Dax is recovering well during his 5-7 week stay in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), and Mom is doing much better too. Travis (dad and Sideshow Multimedia Manager) went through some scary days, fearing for both son and wife, but things are looking much brighter now - just have to keep Dax from getting sick, and the nurses have to fatten him up before he can come home.

The optimistic power of Hope, the relaxation methods of Yoga, and the miracles of Modern Science have pulled us through this rough time, and we are super grateful for all the family, friends, co-workers, and - most of all - the excellent nurses and doctors who have given us their overwhelming support over the past couple weeks. I know you Freaks would've been right there with them, cheering us on, but I didn't really have much of a chance to get on a computer recently... so now, it's back to work until Dax gets to come home!! :banana

We always miss you when you are gone from the boards Dusty.:D

:mwaha

Nah, just real busy all of a sudden... I wonder why? :D

Well, one reason is that Dax may be coming home earlier than expected! The nurses are call him a 'precocious eater' - meaning he has been having absolutely no problem feeding from a bottle and managing the suck/swallow/breathe thing, even at just barely 34 weeks gestational age (babies are normally about 40 weeks gestational age when born at their due date). And he's been gaining a bunch of weight for the past 5 days... 2 ounces, then 1 1/2 ounces, then another 2 ounces, and THREE OUNCES yesterday! (preemies are considered to be doing well when they gain an average about 3/4 of an ounce to 1 ounce a day). He's about 4 lbs 4 ounces today! He's also managing his own temperature, in fact, they had to turn the temp down as low as it could go in his 'isolette' (aka 'incubator') and he's now in an open crib. At this rate he'll be teething and walking before his release... or at least before his original due date :lol

I hope this means good things and he won't have any long term side effects of prematurity! In fact, instead of referring to him as 'premature' I'm just gonna say he got a head start on life :)

Another reason for business is Spooktacular - which I will unfortunately be missing this year (my maternity leave starts when Dax comes home)... but I'm still working to get things prepared for everyone while I'm out!

Last edited:
Very good news Dusty! I am so happy to hear that things are going well for Dax and he is quickly gaining weight. Always a very good sign. :D How excited you must be knowing that soon he will be home with you and Travis! Yeah!!!!!

Glad to reed this Dusty!!!!! you Take care!!! and Dax to!!!!

You will be missed at Spooktacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:monkey2

Back