The Order: 1866 (PS4)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree.
The most important aspect is the story.
The early silent hill games are klunky yet they are regarded as great games.

That's the issue with a lot of games. Sometiimes, there's too much emphasis on bragging rights as one of
"New gen graphics" but the core of the game is meh.
A perfect example of this is a game called deadly premonition. The game looks like it should have been for the ps2.
But anyone whose played it can attest of its charm.

Uncharted...Drake's fortune, the last of us, heavy rain, etc, wouldn't be regarded as a must have if the story telling is mediocre.
To me, the best games that stand out are the ones that have a moving storytelling.

I think they're both 50/50.

A great story can carry a game with bad gameplay.

As well as fun gameplay can make you forget a dull story.

I disagree.

Great games....for their time is probably the correct way to look at those older games. Great story is great. Crappy controls or actual gaming = a major issue

That's true.
I guess, at the same token, I can also name many games that wont exactly win any academy awards, but are fun as hell.
Heck, Resident Evil had the most cheesiest lines, but I've played the heck out of them.

I do share the concern for this game.
Many times, a teaser is shown, and it just raise your excitement level.
Then usually, more bits and pieces are shown to wet your appetite.
So far, other than the amazing trailer, I havent really seen much to keep my excitement on this game other than the visuals.

I disagree.

That's the issue with a lot of games. Sometiimes, there's too much emphasis on bragging rights as one of
"New gen graphics" but the core of the game is meh.
A perfect example of this is a game called deadly premonition. The game looks like it should have been for the ps2.
But anyone whose played it can attest of its charm.

Uncharted...Drake's fortune, the last of us, heavy rain, etc, wouldn't be regarded as a must have if the story telling is mediocre.
To me, the best games that stand out are the ones that have a moving storytelling.

I respectfully disagree. I haven't played deadly premonition, but neither have I played a game that isn't fun just because the narrative compelled me to.
In that case you've enjoyed the game for reasons you enjoy movies. Which while a bonus in a game, is not necessary to make a good one. (My favourite games too fall in the narrative category just FYI)

Your example of TheLastofUs and uncharted are fantastic in narrative but are also very fun to play.
Vanquish is an absolutely brilliant game and had a terrible story. Didn't matter

On Silent Hills controls I felt added to its charm and still was fun to experience yet did get boring from all the waking around

I wasn't going to get this but I'm wrapping up Dragon Age and other than Evolve I've got nothing else in my sights until Arkham Knight drops so I will give it a whirl. Cool concept if nothing else.

Back