The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Where's all that come from? I've heard nothing like it, and i'm sure TheOneRing.net would have mentioned it :dunno
I extremely doubt they'll have trouble getting big-name actors or the people they need.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture Sounds like sewing circle gossip.

Well, here's some decidedly weird news that suggests whoever is running this thing has a few screws loose upstairs: today all the English-speaking actors unions of the U.S., Britain, Canada, and Australia announced a no-work order on "The Hobbit," due to the company's refusal to sign a union contract.

And that means Ian McKellan (a staunch union man) cannot play Gandalf, my friends.

Wonder how long it will take to get this one straightened out. The multi-national "do not work" order -- a really unusual event -- was orchestrated by Australia's actor's union. It would be really, really strange for a major film to collapse over something as crazy as this.

Info at https://www.alliance.org.au/documents/100922_hobbit_factsheet.pdf

Well, here's some decidedly weird news that suggests whoever is running this thing has a few screws loose upstairs: today all the English-speaking actors unions of the U.S., Britain, Canada, and Australia announced a no-work order on "The Hobbit," due to the company's refusal to sign a union contract.

And that means Ian McKellan (a staunch union man) cannot play Gandalf, my friends.

Wonder how long it will take to get this one straightened out. The multi-national "do not work" order -- a really unusual event -- was orchestrated by Australia's actor's union. It would be really, really strange for a major film to collapse over something as crazy as this.

I wanted to read this but my computer threw up a virus flare.

Why in the world would a movie company not want to work with the actors' unions? Makes no sense.

It's not like they dont have time to sort it with all the other BS going on......remains hopeful.:)

This situation reminds me of the Secret Meeting in Rivendell, when Frodo set the ring in the middle of the stone table for all to see. Then all the mistrust, greed, and arguing started as the Rings power began to seduce those in its presence.......

Apparently Cate Blanchett is also supposed to reappear, and both she and McKellan have said nothing doing without a union contract for the NZ actors. I think this will be settled pretty fast.

Now, as to who will direct, that's another mountain. Sheesh. This could take as long as the trilogy did.

:dunno

Last I heard Jackson was going to, but if they keep messing around like this, he'll probably drop out as well.

Where's all that come from? I've heard nothing like it, and i'm sure TheOneRing.net would have mentioned it :dunno
I extremely doubt they'll have trouble getting big-name actors or the people they need.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture Sounds like sewing circle gossip.

Sorry I hadn't checked the thread...the "sewing circle gossip" came directly as a communication from the actors' union of which I am a member. I'll admit that my theory around the participation of the "big names" was just that - a theory - but actors are very loathe to break picket lines (you may remember the flack many writer/actors copped during the writer's strike a couple of years ago).

Peter Jackson has come out swinging against the MEAA (the Australian actors' union - https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...eatening-the-hobbit-movie-20100927-15ti0.html), but his arguments seem to ignore the fact that US, Canadian, and UK unions are all signatories to the "do not work" order. Regardless of who might have initiated it, to claim that Australian Equity wants it just to increase their membership is a bit of a stretch. There have been a large number of US producers recently who have tried to take advantage of Aussie performers, and our union is simply looking to make sure that this doesn't happen.

Let me get this right, Australia is trying to tell NZ what to do? Can they just not use Australian actors?

That was a strangely slanted article. The writer discussed how most of the Hobbit takes place in the Shire, so it won't be commercially viable.

Huh?

Back